1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about Protection Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sharpie83, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1 of 27
    sharpie83

sharpie83 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 8, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm a new customer and have installation scheduled tomorrow. I opted to bypass the protection plan when I placed my order but wanted to get some opinions on this. I realize everyone's situation is different but I'm just curious your thoughts on protection plan.

I'm also curious in whether or not I could simply add the protection plan if I ever had some issues with my system or is there a delay in adding it and when it becomes active?

2. Dec 8, 2011 #2 of 27
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Technically there is a waiting period, but sometimes they'll waive it. You'd need to keep it so long afterward as well. Might be worth it if you need a lot of reaims, but most don't.

Personally I have it, but more in abundance of caution as I have one box marked as owned. Without the PP,if it needed replaced, it would be with leased. Wouldn't much matter as with luck I'll be back under contract in the next week or two. But there are other benefits.

3. Dec 8, 2011 #3 of 27
    sharpie83

sharpie83 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 8, 2011
    Thank you for the information. I'm looking into it more and will probably end up getting it, simply for peace of mind.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #4 of 27
    bossfan50

bossfan50 AllStar

Apr 28, 2007
    I have had D* for almost 10 years and I have never once needed to have a service call. Assuming a good install you should have no reason to have to pay for a service call. As you said everyone has a different situation but the protection plan would be a complete waste of money for me. I would be one to not have the protection plan and then add it if needed.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 27
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Another way to look at it is like insurance. You pay the monthly fee and that is all you will ever have to pay. I analyzed it once and in the fifteen years I have been with DirecTV the protection plan would have cost twice as much as paying for the service calls. I do all my own work but used the cost of a call for every time I had to fix something.

Are you able to pay $50 - $75 on a moments notice? if the answer is yes than in the long run paying for calls as needed is the better option. If the answer is no then the plan would be worth it

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 27
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    This. For most people not having the protection plan saves more money in the long run.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 27
    wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Depends - it also covers remotes, plus like another one stated - I have 3 owned boxes, with the PP they replaced with woned boxes.

I equate it to life insurance - I keep paying every month and hope a claim does not have to be put against it. Beside I just order one less martinii a month to cover the cost of the PP so even my liver benefits :lol:

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 27
    SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    With all of my discounts I don't mind paying for the Protection Plan. I use it as leverage when I place my annual "I'd like to cancel because I am going to Dish" call where I get a bunch knocked off my bill for a year.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 27
    Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    This is why I have it. Generally speaking if something goes wrong I can probably pay for it if I didnt have the PP. With my luck something will happen during that one month a lot of expenses went out the door and I am short on funds.

I guess if you look at it $6/mo over the 10yrs I have been with them is $1200, but at the same time I pay almost that per year on my car insurance and never use it. At least I have gotten use out of the PP.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If I had all leased boxes, I'd likely go the route of not having it. Sure, it covers owned equipment like DECAs and such, but I'm planning on getting rid of them, and figure they're reasonably cheap on ebay.

11. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    I also got it for peace of mind. But let me ask this. If one of the boxes goes out, won't an installer come out and set it up if you have PP? In addition, would I have a better chance of getting the same model box, since most likely they have them on the truck or at least locally at their facility?

When I was with Time Warner, I had to replace boxes three times that I can think of. Luckily with them it's a lot simpler. Just go to their facility, get one, put it in, and set it up. But with D*, isn't there a little more involved in swapping out boxes? At least it seemed that way when an SD box was swapped out for an H25, and I don't mean the settings for my TV.

12. richart53

richart53 Cool Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I have it simply because I live in a lightning prone area of the country. One bad surge could wipe out multiple items (although I have everything either on a surge protector or a UPS). I have used it once to have a remote replaced--shipped FedEx and had it the next day.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Generally it is simple. The H25 is a little more complex if you need SWM put in. But otherwise, it's just plugging things in. The most complex normal situation is to know when you need or don't need to use DECA boxes, or the band stop filter.

14. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have it as Mrs. Fluffybear prefers I don't climb on the roof since we moved to this house (dish is 30 feet up) and some of these nasty winds we get from time to time can knock the dish out of alignment.

15. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007

Definitely this too. While I am in no way afraid of heights I dont like climbing a ladder. At 6'4" and 260lbs I am not ready to trust a single rung of a ladder to keep me from plummeting to the ground.

16. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I've never had it and IMO it isn't worth it, especially for long time subscribers. I've been a subscriber since 97 and have had two service calls for issues during that time. Both times the service fee was waived because I'm a long time subscriber.

By now, I'm likely over a thousand dollars ahead by not having it.

17. andrewj0781

andrewj0781 Cool Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I was hooked up by a Authorized Local Dealer who told me not to get the plan. He said we charge $15.00 an hour and most fixes are less than an hour. That's better than paying $6.00 a month. Which I know they'd rather get money from me then give it to Directv. As of now it makes sense then paying $72.00 a year when I can just dish out $15.00 and call them.

18. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But that's just labor. The parts are expensive. I've been with D* for about ten years and wouldn't be without it. One catastrophe and you'll see how much that piddly amount a month is worth. I know it's saved me a small fortune.

Rich

19. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    +1

Have made numerous calls for repairs over the years I have been with directv - has saved a lot more in serivce calls and repair parts then what it has cost me for the PP plan.

just saved 20 bucks this morning, kids dvr would not power up, just sit there with a blue ring and no display. Should see the replacement on monday, now I get to deal with the access card department again:)

20. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    "F" for math! :lol:

$6/mo x 12mo/yr = $72/yr x 10 yr = $720! So you saved even more than you think! ;)