Questions about Recording Genie Content Using ElGato or Hauppauge Devices

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Apr 8, 2021.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    There are a bunch of older threads dealing with this, can someone who is still using an ElGato or Hauppauge device help out, I would like to record the movies I have saved on my Genie DVR.

I understand you have to record them in real time, my goal is to be able to utilize Handbrake to move them to a small file with a decent picture quality, I don't need to burn them to discs, just to place them in Itunes with the ability to move them to an Apple TV/Iphone/Ipod Touch.

They don't have to be HD quality but decent enough to rival an old school traditional DVD, for example I burned the 1997 movie, "The Edge", standard definition DVD, I set Handbrake at: Low Complexity, Mpeg-4 video file, 964 kbps, 634 x 724 picture size (I try to keep to original screen format), H264, the size was 852 mb, so under 1 gig for a two hour movie.

For Handbrake I used the Fast 480p setting, it looks great on a Macbook Pro or Iphone, not sure how it will look on a regular LCD TV screen using Apple TV but anyway is there a way to record my DVR content and burn it to a file in the same manner I was able to do this with a standard DVD movie?

This is all for personal use, no uploading to Youtube, thanks for your help.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    I don't think anything has changed in years. I've been using a Elgato Game Capture HD (720P) and a HDMI spliter since 2014, still works fine with the HR54. When I want to save a show I use my Mac mini 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 to capture (real time), use FCP to edit if required (like stripping out commercials), use handbrake's AppleTV preset, then subler to add meta data, and dump the file into the iTunes folder.

3. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thank you, so is this one the latest equivalent: https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Game-.../B01DRWCOGA/ref=psdc_6795230011_t1_B00840353W

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Note that the ElGato Game Capture device requires an "unencrypted HDMI" signal (hint: that's why they call it a "Game Capture Device"). Everything coming off of the Genie has a "no copy" flag associated with it.

It can work, but there are some intermediate steps that you must take that may be in violation of federal law (DMCA).

All solutions that involve HDMI will be similarly complicated.

5. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    That looks like the current game capture version, but I've not kept up with the tech. My point was that what you read from years old is still valid. I've also assumed you know you need more than the game capture box (as Harsh mentioned). But that's no different than years ago. I haven't kept up with legalities, but now days I'm only using the Genie as a backup to OTA recording anyway.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The legalities of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 are substantially "no different than years ago".

The question is if and when will they apply DRM to OTA content.

7. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Thanks, it appears the HDMI splitter is the thing that is needed to bypass the restrictions, how is the quality when playing it back on your TV, does it look like 720p when playing the recorded content saved file that was recorded via the El Gato?

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The PVRs record them more or less the way they come off the Genie depending on the quality settings you choose. Any scaling or transcoding to another compression format will take an additional bite out of the quality.

9. ColdCase

ColdCase AllStar

Sep 10, 2007
    New England
    It looks like 720p on my 60 inch flatscreen. The game capture does not do compression, or can be configured pass through, so the recorded files can be large.