1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions from a new subscriber

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SJSU, Oct 29, 2009.

1. SJSU

SJSU New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I'll be a DirecTV subscriber starting Monday and I have a couple of questions. I'll have the Choice Xtra HD+DVR and the sports pack. I know the NHL games will be blacked out, but I was wondering if the games will be available when the various channels re-air them later that night or the next morning.

The other question is in regards to local channels. Does DirecTV provide the sub channels? Most of those channels here in Louisville are just local weather information, but I was just curious to know if they are available. Thanks for your help.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I don't believe DirecTV offers any subchannels.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Generally no subchannels (not going to say none as I don't know if there is an exception somewhere.) If you get an HR20, it has an over the air tuner, you can hook up an antenna if you get a good signal. If you get one of the other boxes, you'll need an AM21 for OTA.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    IIRC, I haven't seen any of the replays available on the RSN's for pro games, they're blacked out. Heck, even some of the local sport shows that cover a pro team are blacked out when shown.

5. SJSU

SJSU New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Thanks for the quick responses. It's disappointing to not get the hockey replays, but I guess I shouldn't be greedy. :)

6. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    To get the subs you will need to have the AM-21 to receive them. I havent heard of a single market that has subs through Directv. yet.

7. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    We have a PBS sub in the Raleigh-Durham market.

8. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I stand corrected. :D

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Is that sub actually your local PBS station? With the main one being PBS HD?

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    PBS is the only station that in some markets you get the sub channel. There are many markets where PBS has a sub channel as well as the regular channel. It varies by market at this point.

You can get replays of professional sports but you will not see most live games with the sports pack. It is possible once in awhile you might get one but I would not count on that very often. Replays are not subject to blackout rules unless the replay is the national broadcast due to a major event, like a presidential speach or something a long those lines, in which case the main broadcast rules would apply.

Also :welcome_s to DBSTALK.

11. gib4500

gib4500 AllStar

Apr 11, 2004
    Some nhl hockey replays are available on the sports pack. I have 2 of them on right now without being blacked out.