1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on HR20-700C-R

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by andunn27, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andunn27

andunn27 Legend

Sep 24, 2007
    I got my HD finally installed yesterday. However, I have not been able to experience the glorious picture yet. It is still hooked up to my SD tv right now and the picture quality on the HD channels is a lot better than the standard channels. However, I will be hooking it up to my LCD tv tomorrow.

Anyways, my first question comes after noticing I of course got a new "Factory Reconditioned Unit". So anyways I can hear the hard drive being accessed constantly and is very noticeable when recording a show or fast forwarding. Is this normal and should I be concerned? I am used to my Tivo an all I ever hear from that is a little, quiet hum from the fan.

Second I read something about hooking this up to the internet for VOD. I have a wireless Adapter that I can use. Is this worth hooking it up? I really have not heard a lot about Directv VOD.

Third, I just noticed that the internal temp according to the info page is 122 degrees. This seems hot. Is this normal?

Fourth what kind of cool features does this unit have? Also, my wife is keeping her Tivo upstairs, but will also be using this unit. Is there a learning curve?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    For whatever reason, the HR20-700's hard drives can chirp - when things were quiet, I could hear my HR10-250's drive, so it's not unusual. If it's too much to bear, call DirecTV and ask for a replacement.

I can't tell you if VOD is worth it or not. I'm not big on VOD. It's nice, but not something I really use. Only you can decide after testing VOD. Your wireless adapter should work fine, just connect it and go through the network setup on the HR20.

122 is pretty normal. HR20's will run as high as 125-27. You can use a cooling pad or get a small usb fan to help cool it if you want. I use this fan: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216874&cp and am running at 106 right now.

Yes there is a learning curve with the HR20 - too many features to list all of them, but they include - use of an external eSATA drive, Media Share, VOD, quick setting of series links. There are several threads stuck in this forum that will provide this info: http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

3. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Here are some recources from the HD DVR FAQ:

Where can I find Tips & Tricks for the HR20 or HR21?
    134 Undocumented HD DVR PLUS Tips & Tricks

What can help me transition from TiVo?
    TiVo Users Survival Guide

Can I help test new beta software updates?
    Cutting Edge Forum (Test the Latest Releases)Notify Me of New Releases

How do I setup my HD DRV+ so that I can I listen to MP3 music and see jpg photos?
    HR20: Networking and ViiVNetworking with Windows Media PlayerNetwork Configuration

Why would I want to connect a TV antenna to my HD Receiver? How do I do it?
    Local HD Channel SetupGet More Great Local HD ChannelsEven More HD Local Channels

Enjoy!

- Craig

4. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    I would be concerned. The problem is that you can't really ask for a replacement if it's working normally, not counting the noise. I would be very reluctant to accumulate any recordings, however. This is a functionality issue that I would discuss with a CSR tech rep, not a Level 1 CSR, since HD noise is a major sign of impending drive failure. It could last for quite a while, but it could also die tomorrow....

Too bad you can't run Spinrite on an HR20's hard drive.

5. andunn27

andunn27 Legend

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks for all the info. I will watch and listen to the unit for the next couple of days. I think I will try hooking up the VOD and see if I like it or not.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The hard drive noise in an HR20 can be fairly noticeable in a quiet room but it's not an indication of a problem.

Also the HR20 has its own heat managment system so if it's in a well ventilated area there is no reason for concern unless you consistently see temps over 129.

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    From what I read, most new installs are normally new units, not refurbs.

Some people have complained and gotten the refurb replaced with new.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it works well.

8. andunn27

andunn27 Legend

Sep 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.