1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions on pole install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by IDRick, Jul 25, 2011.

1. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    I would prefer a pole install because: a) it will be easier to clean off snow in the winter and b) we will be reroofing in the next few years so a pole install prevents future charges for reaiming the dish. Questions:

1) Does hard water impact the satellite dish or it's respective components? A good place to install the pole is close to a lawn sprinkler and may result in wind driven hard water spray on the dish.

2) What are current charges for a pole install?

3) Based on dishpointer.com, I should be good to go at this location and could install the pole myself. However, is it wiser to have the D* installer put it in because he make sure it is a viable location?

Thanks!

Rick

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    My dish is completely rust colored, can't read any of the printing on it, from my sprinkler system. About twice a year I wipe off the LNB lenses. My signal strength is fine.

3. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Thanks davring! You Floridians get a bit more rain than we do, our annual precipitation is a grand total of 11 inches... Good to hear that irrigation water should not be a problem.

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    We can get that much in two weeks in the summer:) We rely on our well for many months during the dry winters.

5. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    Here it's $75 with the first 20ft free trenching, $1 per foot after that. However I only charge here if the customer requests it and there is a valid los from the roof. Even then if it's right by the home and I don't have to trench but a few feet I'll toss it in for free.

Subcontractors will always charge you, if you get an HSP employee it's a tossup.

6. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    My proposed spot is within 15 feet of the house, ground location, and coax entry point to the home. A roof install would work well at my location but I want a pole install for the reasons stated earlier. $75 isn't too bad a price for the piece of mind for removing snow and eliminating potential issue with new roof. Thanks leeliam!

7. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    I would suggest covering the dish with a thin plastic cover. It will keep the snow off the dish and it also keep the hard water from "rusting" it. The dish will look brand new under it and you will never have to brush snow off of it.

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Yeah, that won't look any worse than a rusty reflector :lol:

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
  10. wiz561

wiz561 Mentor

Dec 7, 2010
    I live outside of chicago, and I wanted my dish on a pole mount next to my house. I didn't want it on the roof for fear of leaks or if it has to be moved/re-aligned, etc., and I didn't want it on the side of the house for fear that it may damage/pull the brick facade away from the house.

The guy charged 75 bucks to mount it and I consider it will worth the fee. I'm extremely happy with where it's at, he cemented it in, and mounted it on a galvanized pipe. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The *only* thing that I've been thinking of doing is putting some sort of support/tripod mount from the pole to the house for more stabilization. It's mounted about 5' up on the pole and it sometimes shakes ever so slightly due to the wind. My signal rarely goes out, but sometimes the audio drops. Don't know if it's from that or something else.

Now I wonder if you dig a trench, if he would just lay it in and you can put the dirt back...just to save on installation costs. Just a thought.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You can paint your dish as well to have it better protected from constant water application. Painting the dish is better and usually more visually pleasing than any kind of cover.

12. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I would put it on the roof myself.

I think direct will move the dish after a year or so for free and/or give a free alignment

On the roof would either be zero cost or up to $100 for the realignment, but pretty sure it would be zero.

This way it would be out of water system and you dont have to mow around it.

Put it on the roof....

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    :confused:

14. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    A dish relocate is $49 upfront with a credit card. A service call for realignment is $49.95. Personally, I have a pole mount that was worth every penny. I put my cabling in pvc piping prior to burial and we are going on four and a half years problem free.

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I didn't see it posted but I only skimmed. My office a pole mount only cost $$ if you don't want it on your house. If there is line of sight from the house and you want it on a pole it's 75$.

16. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    depends on which rep you talk to, some get moved for free, other are charged......what are you saying???

call movers connect after 6 months its free, tell them you moved from 901 to 901 1/2?? I dont know do whatever you want to.

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Where do you come up with this stuff? The address's get verified by the post office. Before posting to attempt to commit fraud why not just ignore the topic.

You said it in your post you don't know so I'm trying to figure out why you bothered posting to begin with.

18. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    My SL dish is on a three foot pole. Me amd my wife dug the whole and cemented it. Flagged down a D installer and aimed it for me for $20. I get a lot of 100"s on the screen signal strength meters. Since it's so low to the ground, the fence and the house next door keep the wind off. I wash it every once in a while due to bird droppings.