1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions - trying to learn about HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by awalt, May 22, 2013.

1. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Hi all,

I am trying to get up to speed on the HR44 so by the time it's available in my area, I can make an informed decision to upgrade. Thanks in advance for your help, as I have a few questions; I have been trying to read everything but there are some gaps in my knowledge.

I currently have a Slimline-3 dish, all the HD channels (I think my dish was replaced to the Slimline-3 a few years ago when a slew of new HD channels came online). I have two HR20-700 receivers, both with external disks. It doe not appear to me I have any other active electronic devices inside the house, just cable and splitters to the TVs.

If I replace 1 HR20 with an HR44 only (no Genie) - do I need to replace anything else? Is this something I can swap out or is there a need for DirecTV to come out? (I am assuming I would buy (lease) it somewhere else, install, and call DirecTV to activate, although I realize it may make more sense to have DirecTV send me the HR44 as there may be a better deal in return for a 2 year commitment).

If I want Genie sharing, I assume I would get an HR44 and a C31 would replace the second HR20, is that correct? Is any equipment needed? It seems like this is the case where it's better to have DirecTV come out to do the install.

It appears to me the HR44 has a SATA connector for external disk. I realize I can't carry across old programs.

Is there anything else significant I should know, or anything I said that was incorrect here?

Thanks again for your help!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You must have an SWM dish/LNB. Do your current DVRs have one or two coax cables going to them? If two you will need to have the LNB replaced on the dish.

Regardless of where you obtain (lease) your HR44 (which is a Genie) you will have a 2-year commitment with DirecTV when you activate it. However, there is no guarantee you will get an HR44 if you order from DirecTV, you could get an HR34. Both are considered to be Genies.

The Genie and HR20 can see/share programs with each other. You don't have to get a C31/41 to replace the second HR20 if you don't want to. But you can go that way also, it will work just fine.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you do have SWM already, then it can certainly be a self install. Otherwise, it's something I'd have DirecTV do.

4. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    I have two cables going into the 2 SAT-IN connectors on the back of the DVR. SO that means the LNB will be replaced by a SWM, is that the right terminology?

In that case it sounds like DirecTV install is the wisest way to go.

What's the best link to go to where I can read a little about configuration/setup instructions on the HR44 so I can learn a little more?

Thanks!

5. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You can keep the HR20 in service and use it with the Genie as it is a SWM capable receiver. Going with a directv upgrade to your setup would be a wise choice.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And I'd keep the HR20 instead of going to a client. 2 more tuners and 300 gb recording space at the same monthly charge.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can start here

www.directv.com/manuals and choose Genie HR34/HR44

8. awalt

awalt Legend

Jul 30, 2007
    Thanks!

9. linflas

linflas Mentor

Feb 9, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Much like the OP I am trying to get familiar with this new technology before calling DTV. My current setup is 1 HR20-700, 1 H21-100, and 1 R15-300 that until last week was being used with a standard def TV in the bedroom. I now have a new HD set in there so want to replace that DVR with something that supports HD so this seems like the time to also make the change to a Genie as well. From what I am reading here the LNB on my Slimline dish will have to be replaced to support the new SWM system. What actually distributes the signals from the 5 tuners on the HR44, do the runs all have to originate from the back of the HR44 or does everything connect to whatever replaces my current multiswitch in my existing system? If I keep the HR20 what would it connect to? Will the H21 work with the whole home setup as well? Most importantly does the HR44 have dual live buffer enabled?

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    In 25 words or less, your lnb will be changed to a Swim with support for 8 tuners. One coax from the lnb will be used to feed a 4 or 8 way splitter placed where your multiswitch is now. One coax to each H/HR. Terminate any unused ports.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    H21 will work fine with Whole Home. The only H box that won't is the H20. HR44 does dual live buffers, but only dual (people have asked if they can have 5 running).

12. linflas

linflas Mentor

Feb 9, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Thanks much for the good info, sounds like this would be a very easy switch for me as the cabling is all run and I'll end up with some unused now that they no longer require hookups for each tuner. Now if I just had the inside scoop on when the HR44 will be available in Northern Virginia...

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    "Very very soon"

14. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Hmmm, that sounds much quicker then when I use *soon* :lol:

15. wesg

wesg New Member

May 30, 2013
    San Diego
    Live buffer on the HR34 and HR44 does not work like previous HR receivers. It is very sporatic and may or may not be there when you think it should. If you use double play you can keep buffering 2 channels as long as you do not turnoff receiver, or watch a program on list that was on same channel you are buffering. Your present dish may work as long as it is HD capable and you move all 4 leads to a SWM 16 then from SWM 16 hook HR44 direct to one output and a 8 splitter to other output and hook all your other hd receivers to the 8 splitter. You will need powerbox to send power to the SWM 16 via RG6. If you want internet you can also wire a deca from your router to the 8 switch (RG6) and now all receivers will have int. (I have 13 tuners running in above scenario 1 HR44 (5 tuners) and 4 other HR receivers (8 tuners) plus whole home & internet on all)

16. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Does the unused input (coax input #2 with a swm setup) on a HR unit need to be terminated?

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No. Just on the splitter.

18. Stevies3

Stevies3 Legend

Jul 22, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Is it requred that the HR44 be connected directly to the SWM16? Can a spliiter be used?

19. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Yes, you can use a splitter. The 44 uses 5 of the 8 tuners, so a two--way could also supply a HR2x or just leave one port terminated.

20. wesg

wesg New Member

May 30, 2013
    San Diego
    You can use 2 8x splitters off of the SWM 16 but if you do you should run the Genie to one of the 8x splitters and all other receivers to the other 8x splitter. Try to keep the Genie to its own source. All my receivers (4 HR 2 series) and HR44, whole home and internet work great when hooked up as per my previous post.