1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KsBillsFan, Oct 16, 2009.

1. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    Thinking about switching to DTV from Cable. I have two HDTV's, one will need DVR. And then I have a 3rd TV that's just SD. When I call DTV, they keep trying to charge me full price for an HD receiver and then the $5/mo lease fee. They are giving me the HD/DVR receiver for "free" (still lease fee and service fee).

1: Is there anyway to get both the DVR and regular HD receiver for free?
    2: Why do they make you buy the equipment and still charge you a lease fee?

The CSR couldn't give me any deals that were better than what they have on their web site. I want the NFL Sunday Ticket, but don't want to pay full price due to the season being 1/4 over now.

So should I just hold off and wait to see what the next special they have?

Thanks in advance.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

It's possible to get a second receiver for free, but it doesn't happen very often. You could try going through a third-party like Costco or someone local to you.

The lease fee is the charge applied to every receiver in the house. If you own the receiver they call it a mirroring fee. It amortizes the cost of getting the guide data to that receiver.

I do think that you might get a discount if you wait long enough you'll get a discount on Sunday Ticket, but yes, they're charging full pop right now.

3. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    Thanks for the answer...ya I'm guessing by week 8 or 9 they will drop the price in half or do the buy next season at full price, get this season for free thing.

I will check the local paper for local companies that do Direct and see what they offer. We don't have Costco's here.

4. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    better to go all HD or all HD DVR even for a SD tv.

All HD should get you boxes that will do MRV next year.

also hook up the HD and HD dvr boxes to the network / internet.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know about your local Wal-Mart but mine has a satellite sales kiosk in it, you might check there.

6. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    Ya, I have network cables already ran to the my HD/DVR outlet and HD outlet. SD outlet is pre-wired for network, just not hooked up yet.

What is MRV?

7. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Multi Room Viewing. A service that has been marketed by AT&T's U-verse service and partially by Dishnetwork. This service has not been rolled out by Directv yet.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As stated, you might want to just get an HD receiver for your SDTV now, especially if you are paying an upfront lease fee for the SD receiver. The reason is that when you decide to upgrade that TV to HD, you will need to pay the upfront lease fee for the HD receiver at that time anyways (unless you happen to get some kind of deal).

As for fees, the purchase price is actually an upfront lease fee as you do not own the receivers. DirecTV owns them and if you deactivate it, they will require you to send them back (at their expense). The monthly fee you pay for the receivers, as Stuart stated is a lease fee/mirroring fee. You do not pay the fee on your primary receiver--only on your additional receivers.

- Merg

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    KsBillsFan,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

You may want to take a few minutes and search some threads for any Sunday Ticket discounts that may have come up last year. I have a feeling they don't actually reduce the price until maybe 3/4 of the way through the season, but I really doubt that they do a half-season for half-price thing at all. I don't recall clearly, but it wouldn't hurt to research that a bit if it's an important component in making your decision.

Also keep in mind that to see the Sunday Ticket games in HD requires subscribing to Super Fan as well. That's $99 for the season, and they have been more open in the past to making deals on that add-on package, but no guarantees.

Aside from maybe a couple of SD receivers (not DVRs), if they start you off with no charge on an HD DVR, they usually don't cut a deal on any other receivers. It doesn't hurt to try, but I would be a bit surprised if you got an HD receiver for anything less than the regular $99 lease rate.

Best of luck with your decision and you've come to a good place for research!

10. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    So I think I figured out a way to "pay" for the HD receiver. The refer a friend program pays you $100 with 10 month $10 credits. So its a wash. Will see what happens tomorrow when I call.

With the HD/DVR receiver, will I need two coax cables?

11. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    most likely.
    There is a chance that you'll get what's called a Single Wire Integrated Multiswich (which basically means... 1 wire), but it depends on stock and "rules", etc.

12. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Just make sure you call the referral # to make sure you get that discount.

13. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    Call yesterday and got signed up. They still wouldn't wave the $99 fee for the extra HD Receiver. Was told I could get an HD Receiver at anytime at the $99 fee. So went ahead and just got a standard receiver for free.

My cable provider would not disconnect my cable when I first called, saying the disco department is closed. Called again and it took over 10 minutes to get my service canceled. Keep telling me how they could save me more money than DT and how DT signal goes out all the time. I finally had to tell her I just wanted to cancel my service. After that she got real snooty and was very unhelpful. Sucks I have to keep them for internet service, but they are the best provider for that service in our area.

14. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Good move ordering now as the late season NFL ST discount is not that great. Were you able to get SuperFan for free with the promo? In case you weren't aware, you will need that to get the games in HD!

15. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    I didn't do the NFL Ticket as the past years they usually drop the price to $180 on Nov 1st and throw in SuperFan for free with that price. So I will wait and see what they offer this year.

I have been looking on eBay for an HD Receiver, but scared to pull the trigger on one.

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I would order the receiver off of DirecTV's website or a specific website that is a dealer and highly recommend you stay away from ebay.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Some things to consider if you do order off of ebay...

1. Get the receiver ID before you purchase and contact the Activation Department at DirecTV. You need to verify that the receiver being purchased is owned and that there is no outstanding balance on it. A first line CSR will most likely not be able to answer those questions correctly.

2. You will need to purchase an access card from DirecTV in this situation. Although the card itself is free, DirecTV charges $20 shipping and handling for the card. Being a new customer, I wouldn't expect to be able to get that fee waived.

So that being said, getting a receiver off of ebay for a price cheaper than what it would be from DirecTV might be possible, but will probably be a wash after the cost of the new access card.

Also, the ebay receiver would be owned and not extend your commitment. But, in your case it is not much of an issue as you just started a commitment and adding a week or two onto it is probably not going to affect things in the long run. Plus, if that owned receiver goes on the blink and you get it replaced, it will cost you $20 for shipping of the new one and you would end up with a leased receiver plus a new commitment at that time (in the case that you don't have the Protection Plan).

With all that said, for your situation, I would just get the HD receiver from DirecTV or a major retailer.

- Merg