Quibi - short form streaming powerhouse launching April 6

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Jan 21, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Founded by Jeffrey Katzenberg (former Walt Disney Studios Chairman and cofounder of Dreamworks) and led by CEO Meg Whitman (former President and CEO of Hewlett Packard), shortform powerhouse streamer Quibi will launch April 6.

A lengthy Entertainment Weekly article last week is worth going through as it lists all the Reality, Drama, Comedy, Horror, and Daily Essentials (News and More) shows that will be available at launch. It explains:

Katzenberg and CEO Meg Whitman have pitched the mobile-based service as quick entertainment for viewers on the go.

“You leave the house every morning with a little TV in your pocket. It’s called your smart phone,” Whitman said in 2018. “During the day, you have these in-between moments. Ten minutes here, 15 minutes there, where you want to see something great.”

Quibi is scheduled to launch on April 6, 2020 with a two-tier pricing system: $4.99 with ads, $7.99 without. And lest anyone remain skeptical, the service already has a raft of A-list talent lined up for various projects. Read on for a list of what’s in development.​

A Deadline Hollywood story today Laura Dern Set To Have ‘Just One Drink’ In New Quibi Series From Nick Hornby stimulated me to create this post as it is clear Katzenberg and Whitman have created something significant. Now whether it's going to be worth five or eight bucks, I'll have to see. But programs like "Late Night This Morning" - a daily recap show highlighting the smartest monologues, best interviews, and must-see sketches from the previous evening’s slate of late-night shows - just might make it worth it before I even look at comedy, drama, etc.