Quibi Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by SledgeHammer, Oct 21, 2020.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
  2. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Between initially limiting viewing to mobile/tablet devices and the stupid decision to cutting content up into chunks I was absolutely turned off. Even with the multiple free offers T-Mobile gave me I never bothered.

3. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    That didn't take long.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Gone in a Quibi.

techguy88 likes this.
  5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The 10 minute thing actually worked out well. Bathroom / smoke break at work. Something quick to watch at the gym or standing in line somewhere. Etc.

They had like 5 or 6 really good shows at launch, but then they failed to follow through. After those 5 or 6 shows ended, they went no new content for like 2 months. Then the only big hit after that was The Fugitive.

But the people that I told about the shows thought it was dumb to be cell phone only lol, so I guess its just me that didn't mind it for what it was intended for.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given the resolution restrictions, using it on a television or large computer display was surely not very compelling.

7. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    The thing is that if I want to watch something that's 10 minutes long or so I have YouTube already which has far more content than Quibi can ever dream of having.

Yeah they had a few good series but again... if you can't keep compelling content coming in people will drop your service. And to go two months without new content only to offer what's basically an feature length movie chopped up into episodic bits is not helping their cause. And something tells me The Fugitive will eventually get released in full on home video and within 3-5 years will shuffle it's way to Dollar Tree like most B-rate movies lately have.

Yes they did add smart TV apps and Chromecast. But too little too late. The damage was done already especially when 90% of the people who subscribed during the initial three month (or six month via TMobile) free trial dropped them right away. You can't survive as an business when you only retain 10% of your base after giving them literally half a year of your product for free. Especially when your cost of creating new content is far more than what you are bringing in. I saw this was not going to last and gave Quibi six months to a year before it would fold. Once again I was right. I wanted to be wrong because having more options available for content can be a good thing but... when they limited the viewing to mobile/tablet only I knew it just wouldn't last.

Also another thing to point out is I've seen more buzz on social media over Quibi failing over the last few days that I've seen in the last year about Quibi in general. If an company's hugest burst of social media discussion is it's failure then that says everything about Quibi right there alone.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  8. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'm not going to watch any video on a phone when I have a 23-inch monitor and a 55-inch RokuTV to watch programs on. I'm getting HBO for $5 a month; they show two-hour movies and have a much bigger selection. That special price goes away next month, though.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Youtube has a lot of content, and I watch maybe 5 channels on regular basis. I'm assuming you mean THAT kind of content and not a drunk frat boy skate boarding off the roof into the swimming pool type content which is 99% of Youtube.

I don't think I've ever liked a SINGLE Amazon Prime original show or movie. Total garbage. Probably why they give it away for free.

Netflix, I don't think I've ever liked an original show. Not sure what you would call a Netflix original movie since they probably just buy the rights to them and not actually make them, but I did like Extraction, Triple Frontier and a few others that were marked as Netflix originals. NF has been good for the past 1.5 months while binging The Office. Unsolved Mysteries, I'd say out of the 12 eps, they've had maybe 3 or 4 really intriguing ones, a few ok ones and probably 4 - 6 useless ones. I'd say the majority of content on there is foreign/indy now since all the studios are taking their content to their own services. I wouldn't even use it if it wasn't free. You'll notice that the most popular content on Netflix is Friends & The Office, not NF "originals".

Peacock sucks so far. All the "original" shows are just UK imports.

Actually, after the first 5 or 6 shows at Quibi launch that were really good, I was *ALMOST* thinking of subbing, but I had the 3 month trial. For the last 2 months, there was ZERO. I was like wtf...

I believe all the Quibi content will be sold.

Besides Quibi, I'd say my #2 is Apple TV.

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Timing is everything. I thought the target Quibi audience was going to be those who work in the offices of major companies who were limited to their own devices during breaks, commutes, etc. Just as Quibi launched on April 6, 2020, much of that target audience found themselves working at home on one of those 23-inch± monitors and with a 55-inch± TV in the next/same room.