1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Disconnect Coaxial Cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by 1953, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Is there or possibly will be in the future a quick disconnect high quality coaxial cable? Sure would speed up setups.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What setups? In someone's home? Why?

There are BNC connectors but they cost a lot more I believe so don't ever expect it. Plus it's just not on consumer stuff. So why bother?

3. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Why - when moving media center for cleaning or adding new components. We are in the middle of interior remodeling and had coxials relocated. Got tired of the time consuming connecting and disconnecting.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How often do you deal with this issue? They have had some cables that just push on for ages. They suck. There is a reason DIRECTV requires particular compression fittings. Sometimes you just can't make it better everywhere with easy.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    F-snap.JPG I'm using such quick F-connectors all the time; very helpful to make many re-connections when I'm switching LNBF outputs to spectrum analyzer, sat finder and PC with sat signal processing.
    I bought many of them [golden plated] just for $1/each at DeAnza college parking lot "swap meet" Saturday market in Cupertino.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is a one time thing, no?

You really don't want quick connects on your equipment permanently as they can cause all sorry of issues.

Quick connects are for stuff you connect and disconnect very frequently such a satellite meter etc. but even then they must be replaced frequently as they tend to open up and cost a loose connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm using those connectors for years and would tell you from first hand - it will works forever (15+ years) if you will install them inside. It's just one steel spring could become little rusty if you'll left it in moisture environment for months. So far, nothing dramatic, applying WD-40 can fix it.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not using them much I see. I go through F81s and quick connects rather quickly. Of course they connect and disconnect many many many times during the day.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    peds48, doesn't matter how often you'll say "I...I...I..." there will be many others who could say different , duh !
    live and let it go ...

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    P Smith, you asking me to "let it go" hahaha....

All you had to do was not reply to my post.

I posted my observations which are based on real life use of these connectors to give some contrast to the post.