1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick HR24-500 Question. (Legacy system)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by johnfist, Aug 11, 2010.

1. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Okay, so I have an H24 that I was using on an old legacy system. I had it setup, working fine, BBC installed on it. No problems. I set it up on Slimline-5 setting, with multiswitch (non-SWiM, duh).

I swap it out with an HR24, added another line and another BBC, so it has both inputs setup with a BBC attached. Now, I tried using the same setup info, but I get an error.

103° on Even (18V) shows a Red X box, and 110° on Odd (13V) shows a gray box. Not sure why? Both cables are secured properly to the BBC, and it to the unit. I updated the firmware, didn't help. I got it working on some other setting (some LNB-3 variant) but it only showed my non-HD channels.

Not sure what's up... could the dish need minor adjustments? Am I missing something else?

Oh DBS talk, I beseech thee. Please help!

(I'm assuming this is an easy fix?)

2. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Ahh 33 views and nada? Heeeelp! I'm still toying around with it, but I'm not sure what to do. It's just confusing because the H24 works fine, but the HR24 doesnt.... odd.

3. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    The red x means your signal is not high enough to be activated. It is called installation verification and was put into place to ensure the technician "peaked" the dish properly.

4. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    So then I do need to adjust the dish. Is there any easy way to do with without one of those handheld devices?

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    you should not be off by much i would go out and loosen the 2 outside elevation bolts leave the inside elevation bolt tight and then have someone inside checking the signal turn the fine tune knob to the left or right until the signal goes up if it does not go up loosen the bottom 2 azimuth bolts and turn the fine tune azimuth knob left and right until it goes up make sure your mount is very sturdy it should not have hardly any movement in it if you grab below the neck of the dish and push and pull if so get it secure 1st

6. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    West is right on. Your 103 is below the acceptable level for activation. You can call and possibly get a waiver (they can be a pain to get) but you'll need an alignment whether you or D* complete it...

7. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    I think I can do it. I would assume that if one receiver is getting signal fine, and the other won't accept it, then the level must be extremely minute. We'll see. I may have to wait for the weekend, as it's been 105+ out here during the day, and I'm not in that dire need of TV to go burn myself on the roof haha. Thanks guys, I will update once I have gotten up there.

8. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    The problem isn't that the signal is different between the boxes, its that it's below the threshold for activation. The signal isn't fine on the other box, it's just that this box is already active. The signal level will be relatively the same on both boxes if you could see it.

It will bode well for all boxes to improve the signal (less rainfade, etc.) but if you want to get the new box active now you could always call for the waiver.

9. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    The HR24 is already activated, I used it at my old residence. I just hadn't hooked it up since moving here, and now that I have, I see this error. As I said, once I get the time or energy (working in 105F isn't my forte), I'll climb up there and fix it. For now, I'll just keep running the H24.

Any special tips for fine-tuning the DVR? I'm assuming I just go into signal meters and use a buddy via cell phone?

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    That's how most of us do it :)

11. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Well, what seems to be the problem is I can't seem to get more than mid to low 40s on SATs 99s and 103s... looking around on the net for tips now. Any suggestions here?

12. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    I should mention that all other transponders on other SATs are coming in 85 to 95. With the occasional 79. The 99s and 103s are the only ones not giving more than the 40s and 50s. Even though there are many 0s as well.

From what I am reading, with the 103c and 99c coming in with high numbers, i shouldn't be having an issue with the S side of those?

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    The 99s and 103s are spot beam transponders. They are for locals. If your locals don't come from those transponders, that may be the best you can get, since they aren't pointed at you.

If 99c and 103ca and 103cb have good numbers, don't worry about the "s" ones.

14. johnfist

johnfist Cool Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Ahhh I see, 103ca had a few low numbers 69-77, I tweaked them up to the mid to high 80s (best I could) and all is well. Thanks guys, love this place.