1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick HR34 Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by inf0z, Feb 27, 2012.

1. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    I heard somewhere that you can set an HR34 to continuously record specified channels for X amount of time.
    Is this true?
    If this is true how do you do it?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Go into the menu where the series manager is, and one of the options is MANUAL record. Select it, select the day, select the channel, select the start time, select the duration.

3. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    I was under the impression that it was a running recording like a buffer.... per-say always record two hours of X channel

4. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 Godfather

Sep 14, 2002
    Yes, there is a 90 minute (I believe) buffer of what is playing on the DVR. If you turn on the TV and press play you'll be able to see how much is buffered (green bar). If you press record the bar will change to orange and save whatever is buffered to your playlist.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just keep in mind that the buffer is only there for the foreground tuner on the HR34. If you change channels, the buffer is wiped and will start over again on the new channel.

- Merg

6. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Myth debunked. Thanks for the info. I had several people tell me that the 34 could be set to continuously buffer multiple channels at once(If you were to lazy to search through the guide and set recordings.) I was 99% sure that was false information as I couldn't find the option any where.

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    maybe they were talking about doubleplay. With doubleplay you can have 2 buffers at once without recording.

8. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I noticed today that with double play enabled I could watch a 3rd channel and the buffers on both double play channels stayed intact.

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    technically if you only ever wanted to watch five channels from the tuners on the 34, you could set those manual recordings for five channels over and over and always have hours and hours from those channels available to view.

10. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    Lol I would have to mod my receiver to a 2TB drive to support that much recording. Speaking of which... Did you replace the internal drive on your receiver or did you hook up an external drive?

11. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Internal on both

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    And you know I have to jump in and point out that doing so is in violation of your customer agreement if these are leased receivers. Please continue the conversation... I just have to note that.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If I were to put a 2TB drive on my 34, I probably would get a compatible RAID enclosure and two drives. Generally seems the best of both worlds. External so would not violate the TOS (don't own mine like Jerry does), no issues if one drive goes bad.

Of course this is also because another external box doesn't bother me.

14. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Godfather

Oct 21, 2006
    Both owned. Just one of the reasons to own.