1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick recording question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lgb0250, Nov 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm a little technology challenged so any help from you pros would be greatly appreciated.

We have CSI Miami set up to record all new episodes. The problem is that there always seems to be something on that night that pushes it's start time back and thus we end up missing most of the show because of it cutting off before it's completed! Is there anyway to set this up where it will record the show automatically regardless of what time it gets pushed back to? Thanks in advance.

2. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    In some countries (e.g. UK) they have quick codes to program VCRs and DVRs. Rather than the time and channel you could put in the code and it new the time and channel. But didnt record until the broadcaster sent the code to start with the program. This worked well for your scenario. We dont have it in the US though.

So to answer your question, if you go into Series Record for CSI Miami and edit it, you will see some options for both start and stop which will allow you to set an override. For Formula 1 I do a Start - 5 minutes before and I do an extra 90 minutes to the end as the race can run over. It takes up more disk space but as I delete it as soon as I am done it is usually not a problem. You can do the same with CSI Miami

3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    My preferred method of getting around this is to add some time padding at the end of the recording. Go to the Series Manager, select the show, choose "Series Options", then choose the "Stop" line. You can add anywhere from 1 minute to 3 hours to the end of the show.

:)

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This is on Sundays, so during Football season, I'd add a minimum of 30 minutes. I personally pad Amazing Race by an hour.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We used to with VCRs, sounds like VCR Plus.

6. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    VCR Plus codes were only translated by the VCR into a channel, start time, and stop time, so it was just a somewhat simpler way to set the VCR timer to record the time slot that was scheduled for a certain show -- nothing like the technology F1 Fan is talking about, where the recording wouldn't start until the show actually did.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Add an hour to the padding in any Sunday night shows on after football games. So Start:eek:n time, End: 1 hour later....should catch any overages caused by live sports.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And importantly, won't end until the end of the program.

This would be a good system, but would ultimately rely on broadcasters to send the right tags at the right times. Given that some can't even tag shows properly now, I don't hold much hope for a better system than us doing the padding manually.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I realize I've made a large assumption- that tags are initially generated by the broadcaster, and then relayed to The Tribune (and possibly others). Is this correct?

10. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Thread Drift!

Yes

I have to admit I havent lived in the UK since 98 but when I was there we had them on network and dbs tv (dbs is the standard in europe - not many cable at all).

Also UK had what is known as Teletext system where there was "web pages" (for want of a better word) that had everything you needed - news, guide, entertainment pages, weather - you name it they had it - hundreds of pages.

This used to be broadcast with the picture but hidden from view (you could see if it you adjusted the horizontal hold and it was about 8 lines of transmission above the picture.

So a lot of this was automated (I was involved years ago with programming part of the system) and when the codes came out (gcodes I think they were called) then it was automatically added by the area so no need for them to remember to insert them.

The codes had to be designed for people to enter via a remote and so were digits (between 3 and 10 long i think from memory) and they had to be unique for a program on a channel at a time. So with so many channels these days and so many re-runs etc it is probably an impossible system.

It would be great to have though. Maybe I should reinvent it lol!

11. lgb0250

lgb0250 Legend

Jan 24, 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the help. Will adjust the series manager accordingly.

12. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Teletext was available in the US on a limited basis in the late '70s/early '80s, but there wasn't enough interest to continue/expand the service.