1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qwest hijacked the billing on my Direct TV account

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bjoh, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjoh

bjoh Cool Member

Jun 16, 2006
    I made a big mistake in calling Qwest during September and asked for pricing in bundling telephone service with my ongoing direct tv account. I do not have their phone service but it is an option in my area. They asked for information concerning my direct tv account in the process of this quote by phone. The quote in bundling service offered no savings and was declined.

In early October I received a bill from Qwest for Direct TV services. I find my auto credit card billing is discontinued. I did not authorize and do not have any Qwest telephone service. Somehow my request for bundling quote activated a Qwest Account.

It gets much worse.... I called both Qwest and Direct TV. Quest says they do not have/cannot find/ an account with me....they offer no solution. Direct TV says Qwest now has my account. On October 11th- a nice sounding supervisor in retention at Direct Tv promised to get back to me within two days with resolution.
    Nothing happened--

Today I received notice my Direct TV service is canceled by Qwest as of November 5th. I called Direct Tv and the notes show I was referred to a supervisor October 11th-- she left no notes and did nothing..... As I am typing this I am on the line with Direct TV for over an hour. Within three way conversation with Qwest and Direct TV / they still cannot resolve this and restore my account. Qwest continues to say I do not have an account/ although I have a cancellation notice in hand? I read them the account- they cannot access anything in their system.

I am a four heart account. All I want is to continue Direct TV service/ I love my new HD/ I am asking them to simply reinstate my auto pay account... their computers apparently will not allow this. I just spoke with, Nina, the manager of the Pennsylvania Direct TV Office-- I ask calmly she would only give me back my account and not discontinue service. She says she is looking into this as no one yet can resolve this??

Is anyone else out there dealing with this???

2. dnemec123

dnemec123 Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    Hillsboro, OR
    I'm not, but I did inquire just today regarding the bundle that Verizon offers in my area (Oregon) with DirecTV. Although I did not give any D* account information to the Verizon FIOS rep.

Now you've scared me! :0

I'll certainly be watching my account online very closely.

Dale

3. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Ask to talk to the integrated/bundled billing dept.?
    Also, if you got a bill from QST, you should have an acct. number

4. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Your first sentence is absolutely right; you made a mistake by even talking to Qwest. I used to have them for phone service. Made a change to my account (added a line). Next bill I got was as if I had opened a whole new account with a double line and my old account also was billed for a double line. I was being charged twice for the same thing. An obvious mistake that should be fairly easy to fix, right? I swear it took 5 months of several long painful stints on the phone, each month for 5 months to try to fix it. The absolute worst customer service experience of my entire life. I will never deal with them again in any way. Ever.
    Sorry, just sharing; don't have any solutions or advice for you.

5. bjoh

bjoh Cool Member

Jun 16, 2006
    "Ask to talk to the integrated/bundled billing dept.?
    Also, if you got a bill from QST, you should have an acct. number"

I spoke with integrate/bundled twice in a three way conversation with Qwest// Qwest says they cannot find my account-- I read them the account number/ phone number/name/ address/ direct tv account #// they even searched my social security # (don't think I am not nervous in providing them that)//

Qwest says they cannot release my account as they cannot find it and left me hanging there... of course I never authorized any account.

Of concern Direct TV apparently cannot reinstate or regain control of my account I am reporting my account is truly hijacked!!!

I am left in limbo as to how this will be resolved

6. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    In my honest opinion Directv should still have you somewhere in their system as they are providing the service to quest. Can't someone track that down? Perhaps have them search for the account using one of your access cards.

Randy

7. bjoh

bjoh Cool Member

Jun 16, 2006
    They see my account and say Qwest has sent authorization turning billing over to them although I did not authorize this... they do not confirm these authorizations which makes no sense to me.

Direct TV has turned over control of my billing and they seem to have no answers or control of their own account?? They apparently cannot simply reinstate their billing without release from Qwest - and Qwest cannot find the account when I read them the account number on the bill?? This is crazy wrong but I have yet to find any solution.

8. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    DTV doe still have him, there just showing his account type as QWEST and not standard

9. rdiedrich

rdiedrich Legend

Sep 10, 2007
    Right I got that but since Quest is having problems turning the account back over I would assume Directv would be able to return the account back where it belongs as it was not supposed to be moved to begin with. Just stating that maybe Quest could find it in a similar fashion using the access card in their billing system. My guess he he got combined somehow with another account. I have seen this before where it is right address wrong name or vice versa and all sorts of other mess ups along the way.

Randy

10. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Talk to retentions... Tell them you're about ready to fly off the handle and the account shouldnt be Qwest. Qwest cant find you in their system, so there is a glitch. If they cant resolve it, have retentions give you a new acct and xfr everything to it.

11. bjoh

bjoh Cool Member

Jun 16, 2006
    I have talked to "retention" from the beginning re this issue.. have kicked it up through levels to supervisor and head supervisor. My billing is Hijacked // best I can determine is Direct TV loses control at such time Qwest gets their mitts on your account.... be warned.....

12. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Right. So if they cant fix it tell them you want the f*c*ing thing cancelled and you want them to create a new account, xfr all your stuff to it, etc.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If they can't find your account, how will they shut it off? Enjoy your free TV. When and if they do ever shut it off, call D* and tell em you want to reactivate your closed account. Only catch is knowing D* they will want you to buy new access cards.

14. bjoh

bjoh Cool Member

Jun 16, 2006
    non-payment on bills/ cancelation of service possibily goes to lowered credit rating etc.

I enjoy the quality of my direct tv service and they have been attentive.. I have three nearly free HD DVRs and use them daily.

I am shocked at how their computer systems lock them in billing and keep them from resolving this... I only want to pay Direct Tv for their service. I never authorized anything through Qwest- I have no phone or any other services through Qwest? I thought direct tv was a bundled service -- I am not a Qwest customer but direct tv turned over my account to them without asking me....

15. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    You didnt ask DTV to turn over your account to them, QST did. DTV didnt need your approval because QST approved it.

16. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    And your new user ID on DBSTalk.com will be "Yossarian."

17. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If Quest is a regulated utility in your state you can file a complaint with the public service commission (or whatever they call it in your state) or your state attorney general.

18. bjoh

bjoh Cool Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Will do---

19. shocky

shocky Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    I'm pretty sure on this as I did research awhile go, but here goes:

If you are not billed or charged, you confirm with the company you have no charged, they cannot retroactively charge you. If you knowingly 'live' with free service, make no attempt to confirm it, then they can charge you.

Most states protect you once you confirm that you are not being charged, even if service is provided, so long as you have done you part to inform the company AS SOON as you were aware. (there are exception)

If a company submits false credit report claims you can dispute (which really does absolutely nothing except prove you tried to dispute it -- because the process is they all the creditor and say is they valid, the creditor say 'YES' and it's marked valid.. Big whip..).. But it gets better.. You then can write the company and they have 30 days to investigate and respond, at which time you can sue if they did fix the issue. You can sue for damages in excess of $100,000 if you do it right. Because false credit statements is a legitimate damage. (think of people buying homes, and so many other things.. infact you can get turned down for a JOB because of your CREDIT [laws vary by states].

P.S.

Also immediately file a complaint with the FTC and any regulatory commissions in your state.

20. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    I have two D* accounts. There's no reason you can't have two as well. They may have to FedEx you a new set of access cards (I doubt it), but they can set up another account and transfer those receivers from one account to another immediately. I just did that two months ago. Then, whatever happens to the other account won't effect you. They'll eventually get it straightened out, but at least your service won't be interrupted on Nov. 5. There is a way out of your Catch 22, Yossarian. No "complaints" are called for at this point, IMHO, except with respect to Qwest if you receive any actual billing from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.