1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r-16 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by admdata, Apr 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    A Question I have read on this forum that you can't install anything bigger then a 160gb Hard drive in a Directv r-16 DVR, if the drive goes (which mine is fine), can I just put in a new 160gb hard drive that I buy, without have to move over the software.

Note: I have upgraded a drive on a Hughes HDVR2 directivo, and had to install the OS on the new drive before it would work.

I am just curious, and yes I know it will violate the directv TOS, I have had my r-16 apart before anyhow, for cleaning purposes.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Why bother? If your R16's drive dies, just call DirecTV and get a replacement DVR. Even without the protection plan it's only ~$20 for shipping. You can't buy a replacement drive for less than that.

3. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    that is true it does make the most $$$ sense

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think you can actually put in a drive up to 250GB, however it will only use 160GB. It won't work with a drive larger than 250 at all. The R15 was that way, so I'm guessing the R16 is also (but don't know for certain).