R10 Locals Pixelated

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by tomkow, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019 #1 of 15
    tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Have an R10 with locals in the Minneapolis St. Paul area.

Locals and locals only have been pixelated for the last few days.
    Swapped Sat 1 and Sat 2 cables. No difference.
    Swapped LNB with a spare. No Difference.
    After swapping Sat 1 and Sat 2 cables and putting the original LNB back, locals are now complete black and getting Searching for Satellite 2 sometimes both Satellite 1 and 2.

All other channels appear fine and it is successful recording one show while watching another.

Not sure what to try next.

All signal strengths are above 94 on all transponders, for both Sat 1 and Sat 2, except.

Transponder 4 shows zero on Sat 1 and Sat 2
    Transponder 18 shows zero on Sat 1 and Sat 2
    Transponder 26 shows 38 on Sat 1 and 40 on Sat 2
    Transponder 28 shows zero on Sat 1 and Sat 2

2. Apr 9, 2019 #2 of 15
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Have been notified that this box will soon become a boat anchor?
    DirecTV is discontinuing MPEG2 satellite broadcasts starting this month. You can have your old MPEG2 SD equipment swapped for free with modern MPEG4 equipment. Just call DirecTV .... 1 800 531 5000. Note that they will likely try to upsell you on upgrading your equipment, but that's up to you.

3. tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Yes, we are aware, but, we want Tivo, not a Directv Box.
    Trying to hang on to Tivo as long as we can.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Well, good luck with that goal. MPEG2 broadcasts are ending starting this month. Your old R10 will soon be a boat anchor :(

5. tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    My understanding is that D was supposed to notify users that the MPEG2 broadcasts would end in their markets.
    Does anybody know which markets will be done and in what order?
    We have not received any notification from D that we need to upgrade equipment.

6. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    As of now only people who get their SD locals from the 119 slot got notices. Laredo and Topeka lost their SD locals on April 2nd, and the next few markets to lose their SD locals are Jacksonville, Lexington, Medford and Springfield-MA on May 7th. Others have reported getting letters with cutoff dates in 2020.

Minneapolis gets their SD locals from TPN 20 on the 101 slot, so you probably won't even be eligible for the contract free replacement if you attempt to call now.

Also, if you want a Tivo, you can get the THR22, but odds are it's not going to be one of the options for the free replacements, so you'll need to order that on your own.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Thanks for the info.
    Transponder 20 has good signal strength, so, not sure what is going on or what to check next.
    I do realize that we need to move on eventually, which may mean leaving Directv and getting a Tivo Bolt with a Cablecard.
    We are happy with the R10 and why spend the $$ on new equipment if I don't have to.

8. tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    Sorry, clarification:
    Transponder 20 is at 32 on Sat 1 and 33 on Sat 2, so that is why I have pixelation.
    Was the same on both LNBs. I am going to try to repoint the dish and see if that helps. All other that those listed in the starter thread are in the 93 to 95 range.

9. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    As KyL416 said, you can get the THR22-100 TiVo DVR, as it is the latest TiVo based DirecTV unit. Since you have a R10, you’ve probably been with DirecTV for a long time (my guess). With that duration, and if your account is still on DirecTV and not switched to ATT, you may be able to get a decent deal thru customer retention like I have over the years. I’ve never had to pay for an upgrade in the last 10+ years, even before the Protection Plan
    offer started.

10. tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    I tightened up all the nuts on the 18 inch dish (been a long winter) and repointed the dish as well.
    Signal strength on transponder 20 now up to 41 to 44 from 32 to 34, now locals work and are not pixelated.
    All other transponders are in the 98 strength range.
    Transponder 26 is now better too, in the 44 to 50 range.
    Will keep an eye on it.
    What should the strength be on transponder 20 and 26?

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Transponder 20 should at least be in the 90s since that's where your locals come from and the spotbeam is centered over the state.

The spotbeam on TPN 26 serves the Chicago and Indianapolis markets, so it's normal for its values to be lower the further away you are from Chicago since that spotbeam is centered over the Illinois/Indiana area.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  12. tomkow

tomkow New Member

Apr 9, 2019
    As of yesterday, TPN 20 was in the middle 40s, maybe a high of 48. It was a crystal clear day.
    No pixelation since I repointed the dish and tightened everything down.

13. BrendanJ

BrendanJ Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Swapped a R10 for the THR22-100 a few months back, it wasn't easy then, I doubt it's going to get easier. A new $5 "Tivo" fee was my reward for swapping, HD, a bit nicer remote, and a happy mother. Just a heads up.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  14. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Don't feel bad. During the Beta for the THR22, we got a new TiVo leader towards the end of the project (it lasted almost two years based on memory), and then we all got hit with the $5 monthly TiVo fee even though we were doing the testing on the box. Those that had the TiVo Lifetime benefit with DirecTV did not get hit. It was a little bit of a sour taste with all the problems we had beta testing......mostly due to the hardware we were supplied with by DirecTV at the time. The fee will last for a while from what I understand.....

15. BrendanJ

BrendanJ Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Thanks for doing the testing, sorry they screwed you in the end. :/ BTW a bit jealous that you still have your hr10-250s. I loved that back in the day despite the $500 up front cost.