1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r10 or r15???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by busboy789, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busboy789

busboy789 AllStar

Oct 25, 2003
    I am a current Dish subscriber and have two of their dvrs (501 and 510). I am switching to DTV today. I am asking for your suggestions or reasons for choosing the r10 or r15, I am assuming I have the choice. I am going to get two of whichever model I get.

I have never used either of the two receivers and my only dvr experienece is with Dish.

I have read that there are places with the r15 sold out, if it is so bad why is there such a demand for it?

guide me please!

2. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    i have both of them, the r15 has a lot of neat features that the tivo lacks
    like picture in the guide, mini guide, able to schedule a recording without pausing what you are watching, from what you have recorded, it has interactive features also, has caller id, local weather, and as i understand more new features coming in the next year such as video on demand, also if you buy a r10 directv they will not give you anymore software upgrades for the tivo, they only ones i saw when i got my r15 at best buy was the r15 and no r10's on the shelf at all, so really it depends on the features that you want with the r15 or what tivo r10 lacks, the r15 has some bugs left to it as usual with any new dvr that they release, but im satisfied with both of them, the r10 may be hard to find now :)

3. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    oh yes i forgot to add to this, the live buffer thingy is not working yet, but you can still pause the r15 for 90 mins on live tv where you only can pause the r10 for 30 mins, i have read where some folks with the r15 can pause theres for 4 hrs.

4. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
  5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I doubt that you will have a choice unless you go to a store and specifically choose the model, or order the model online.
    -
    If you have D* come and provide the equipment and do the install, more than likely you will get R15's, but there is no guarantee, it depends on what the installer has available on his truck.
    -
    If you want to get a specific model without any doubt, then you will need to buy the units somewhere that has them in stock. You might be able to arrange installation from the store you buy from, or you might just have DirecTV do the installs, but with regular receivers rather than dvr's, then buy your dvr's elsewhere. If you do this, make sure the installer runs dual coax runs to each location to support the dvr when you get it. You might have to pay extra for that.
    -
    Carl

6. mvaneps

mvaneps Mentor

Nov 19, 2005
    I have had both too. I returned the R15 and got an R10. If you want a DVR that actually records what you ask it to, get the R10. If you want to miss your favorite shows with little chance of seeing them again, get the R15.

7. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005

I have all 3. I moved my R15 from the bedroom to the living room. It is much quieter, since the update it is working well though still needing some fixes. It can record and store 20 hours more than the R10. It does have some problems with series particularly on local channels but the TO DO list is easy to monitor and I have put in MANUAL records to take care of the LOCAL problems and have not missed any recordings.

As for monitoring the TO DO being babysitting, I do it on both my other boxes as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

8. busboy789

busboy789 AllStar

Oct 25, 2003
    I had two r15s installed today. with just a couple of hours with them I am quite happy. I consider them an "upgrade" from the DISH dvr.

thanks for your input!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.