R10 setup questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Frostwolf, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Ok R10 gurus, I will possibly be helping to install two r10's in an old house with rg59 single cable to one bedroom about 50' from the dish, and then the other r10 about 10' from the dish. I understand this box has dual tuner and needs two cables run to them? Rg6 required? or can one rg6 be run with some kind of adapter?

What lnb is required to make this rig work.

I've installed two legacy dish systems but no directv units, so anything you can tell me would help. Also the phone will be Vonage, can you set a dial out prefix on these units?

I'm going to directv's site and try and find a manual on these things.

Thanks In Advance,

James

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. RG59 *might* work, but RG6 provides much less signal loss at the higher satellite frequencies. 50' of RG59 might be OK. Any new cables should be RG6, ideally "solid copper core".

2. Yes, if you want the dual tuner features you need two satellite cables from the dish to each R10's satellite inputs.

3. Your dish/LNB is determined by what channels you're hoping to receive. An original round 18" dish is fine to receive the channels from DirecTV's main satellite at 101-deg W. A 3-LNB dish adds reception of the 110-deg and 119-deg satellites, which is required for local channels in some cities. Check your zip code at DirecTV's web site to see what channels are available in your area. And check this web site to see what channels are beamed from each satellite .....
    http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/america.html

4. Setting up DirecTV dish's is all about geometry .... be sure that the mast is perfectly plumb and check your aiming coordinates in the R10's satellite setup menu based on your zip code.

5. Your R10 DVRs will require a phone call during the initial Guided Setup. This call might not work with a VOIP system like Vonage. If not, you'll need to connect the R10's to an analog phone line (friend, neighbor) to complete the initial Guided Setup. There's no alternative. Fortunately you don't need a satellite connection to complete the initial Guided Setup. Also, if the R10's were previously activated, you can probably skip the Guided Setup. In that case you don't really need any phone connection.

6. Depending on the dish you're using, you might need a "multiswitch". The 18" round dish has only two outputs, so for two DVRs you'll need a 2x4 or 2x8 multiswitch ("2x8" means that the multiswitch has two inputs and eight outputs). The 3-LNB, or newer 5-LNB dishes have an integrated multiswitch with four outputs, which is all you need to feed two DVRs.

3. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Thanks for the info. GUess I need to find some cable now, and figure out a way to get it across the vaulted ceiling. Sheesh. (concrete slab or I'd go under)

4. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Well, I liked the r10, so I'm making the switch from dish to directv. I ordered two tivos from weaknees. They sent 2 dsr704's one dual lnb dish with a multiswtich.

I have a couple of questions about the setup.

First = ANSWERED in another thread
    Can I use the Dish 500 dish and arm and just switch the y and quad out? or is the legacy quad compatible? (refering to this post http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62440 )

Second ANSWERED here http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/PDF_Files/4-WAY_MULTI-SWITCH.pdf
    The multiswitch has a catv input, four outputs, I'm assuming that the catv can go in and comes out at all four or just the first port on the multiswitch? Zinwell Sam-3402 is the switch. I think I got this one figured out as it comes out all four or else the terminators would not be needed.

Third
    What transponders are best to line up the dish? from Alabama area?

I'm already getting a bad feeling about directv service. I ordered the boxes, they came in and directv hadn't scheduled with me yet , so I called them, they said the appoinment was next thursday am, never asked or called me about it.

5. Frostwolf

Frostwolf Legend

May 9, 2006
    Ok, I got my Diplexers in, hooked them up and they didn't work. Went out to my box, cut the zip tie he put on it, and found the directv installer had not connected the 3x4 switch up like he said, and also took the ground off my cable tv and connected it to the multiswitch, and left the cable ungrounded.

I can fix it, but if he does that to some old lady, couldn't that be bad or even dangerous if some surge come through the house? Or is there a law about this?

So far so good with the tivo's and directv's signal, 96 on average.

But I've been reading something about multiroom viewing on tivo? has anyone done this? I've got some linux experience. I'm intrested in this when the warranty is up on the units.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Congratulations, Frostwolf!

Sounds like installer took some shortcuts. Unfortunately it's all too common, and certainly violates building/electrical codes.

Multiroom viewing with DirecTV/Tivo DVRs is not easy like it is with standalone Tivo DVRs. You need to modify your Tivo's software. Check out the information in the Tivo Underground Forum at http://www.tivocommunity.com and look for the Zipper thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.