1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R10 Tivo is much faster than the HR24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Zenara25, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 #1 of 26
    Zenara25

Zenara25 Cool Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Decided to finally upgrade our old R10 Tivos. Wanted to share the experience.

Been with Directv for 10 years. Got a great deal on 2 HD-DVRs ($99 for both) and the Whole Home service (for $99), and free DVR service for 12 months. Make sure and get the HD for free offer instead of the DVR service for free. We're not elegible for the free HD offer now until the DVR offer ends :( Still happy though.

Took a lot of calls to directv to make sure my order was right. We didn't want to sign a 24 month contract and have any problems afterwards about the bill. Should of asked the CSR to put in the notes that we wanted an HR24.

Installer came and had 1 HR24-200 and 1 HR24-100 :) My appointment time was 8am-noon. He arrived at 2pm. They did call and keep me updated on the time changes. Took him 4 hours to finish. He worked hard and quickly. The slowest part was the booting up of the receivers and Directv not activating the whole home service, locals, etc. They are still as slow as the R10 Tivos on boot up it seems.

My husband is unhappy because he's a channel surfer and changing channels is a lot slower than our old R10 tivo :( This was very surprising because this is the newest model so far and everyone seems to say it's the fastest Directv model yet.

I'm happy because 1. I'm not a channel surfer. 2. The HR24 has the 30SKIP hack. 3. Now I don't need to use an IR blaster to have our own MRV setup. Had both R10's downstairs and the IR blaster setup to view 1 R10 upstairs. It was a little bit of a pain to deal with. Whole Home is so much better.

We're both enjoying HD. Took us forever to add it.

The installer said that we wouldn't be able to view our recorded shows on the R10 since it was deactivated. He was wrong. We watched our shows :) The old access cards do need to be in for it to work. CSR said they would send an envelope so we could send the old access cards back to them.

Wrote down all the season passes beforehand to prepare for the new DVR and just in case the old R10 wouldn't work. Good thing I did. The List works. The To Do List, Season Passes does not work.

Also the installer said he recommends the protection plan because of the weight of the new HD dish and high winds can easily move it.
    Should we get the protection plan? We live near the ocean in Massachusetts.

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 26
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You should still be able to get the HD free offer. Make sure that you have AutoPay and ask about the HD Free for 24 Months for current customers.

- Merg

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 26
    Zenara25

Zenara25 Cool Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I did call and ask and they said I don't qualify because I'm currently getting free dvr service for 12 months :( I'm currently on autopay. The CSR said to call back after 12 months.

4. Feb 2, 2011 #4 of 26
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'd call back again. No where does it state that having one credit precludes you from the HD credit.

It's a special credit that will appear on your bill right after the charge for HD service.

- Merg

5. Feb 2, 2011 #5 of 26
    spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    You should experiment with the settings on the HR24. Setting NATIVE in the OFF position and your resolution to whatever your TV's highest resolution happens to be can speed up channel changes tremendously.

6. Feb 2, 2011 #6 of 26
    Zenara25

Zenara25 Cool Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I'll try calling again tomorrow about the free HD.

I did check that out already. The Native setting is currently off. Thanks for the sugesstion though. With it on it's 10x slower than the R10. With it off about 4x slower.

7. Feb 2, 2011 #7 of 26
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Even the HD TiVo's are slower at channel changes than your R10. Just the nature of the HD beast and all the various resolutions that come into play.

8. Feb 2, 2011 #8 of 26
    INfield420

INfield420 AllStar

Mar 10, 2009
    Nobody can add on the free hd for 24 if you have free dvr service its one or the other......

9. Feb 2, 2011 #9 of 26
    Zenara25

Zenara25 Cool Member

Jan 27, 2011
    When I called originally to check on the HD for free I even asked if they would swap the DVR service for free for the HD for free. The CSR said no I have to wait. Oh well guess I'll have to wait. Still got a good deal though.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Was your install yesterday? I guess I shifted from a pure surfer to a part time one. The blue button brings up a bar with info on whatever channel you choose, either by number or by channel up/down, so you can watch full screen program A while seeing the titles of B-XY and Z. Also Info can be activated.

11. Zenara25

Zenara25 Cool Member

Jan 27, 2011
    He likes to see the actual video when changing channels. He doesn't look too much at the banner like I do. And the video part is what takes the longest to appear.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Whether anyone likes it or not, you cannot compare channel change times between HD and SD devices. Its two completely different worlds. THere are handshakes and things that happen in the HD digital domain that dont happen in the SD analog world, and with current tv and STB technology, thats the way it is. YOu can always make the argument with your husband that if he really cant stomach the times, he can go back to SD....:lol:

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Or put the old receiver and a modest monitor next to the HR24s and the HD set, to speed through, changing to the bigger set in HD when something of more than a moment's notice is desired.... best of both worlds, but a touch more expensive.

14. Zenara25

Zenara25 Cool Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Also the installer said he recommends the protection plan because of the weight of the new HD dish and high winds can easily move it. We live near the ocean in Massachusetts. Leasing the 2 HR24s in case that makes a difference too.

Should we get the protection plan?

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The Protection Plan is a judgement call. It will cover the cost of alignments of your dish and if anything fails outside of the receivers, that will be covered as well. It's basically a warranty. With leasing the receivers, the benefits of the PP are somewhat reduced, but some people still think it is worth it.

As for the dish easily moving in high winds, I think that is a bit of a stretch. If the dish is installed well, it should take more than just some high winds every now and then to move the dish out of alignment.

- Merg

16. Jumpstile

Jumpstile New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    ...Then again if the person who actually installed the dish recommended it, I think I would take his recommendation. Maybe he wasn't feeling so confident about his installation and was giving you a hint...

I have the protection plan and I have used it a few times. It has been worthwhile for me. They have replaced cables, multiswitches, etc. Definitely worth it in my opinion, just for the peace of mind.

- J*

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    :lol:

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

And I do have the PP myself, but I also own all my receivers, so the PP precludes me having to lease a new receiver (and get a new commitment) if one of them fails. I have also used them for some alignment issues at my previous house.

- Merg

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Exactly what he ^^^ said.

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, my alignment issues mainly came due to a beating hail storm that also tore up my roof...

- Merg

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Mine came from a dated Boxcar dish that got replaced for free with a new Slimline under the PP.