R15-300...upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cdc101, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1 of 18
    cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Good evening all...

Have been having a few issues with my R15-300 lately. Lockup's, squeaky hard drive etc.

Anyway, called D* today and since I have the protection plan (or nothing to do with me having it) they are sending me out a new 'comparable' replacement.

Anyone have any guesses on what that might be? Another R15 or is there something newer out there?

2. Dec 3, 2008 #2 of 18
    Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Most likely another R15. I had my R15 replaced under the protection plan a few months ago, and I received another R15. Even though there are newer R22s available, there are still a lot of refurbished R15s available. So they'll replace like with like.

3. Dec 3, 2008 #3 of 18
    cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    That's what I figured, but will hope for a new model. Not that it will be any better than my R15 that has served me well for quite some time, but like most of us here I'm a 'new gadget' type of person.

I'll post what comes in the mail when it gets here.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #4 of 18
    sapient_hetero

sapient_hetero New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Be careful. One of my DVRs just failed and I also had the DirecTV Protection Plan. Despite that, DTV tried to charge me $21.25 for shipping, handling and tax. When I called and told them they'd made a billing error, they removed it from my bill. But I wonder if they deliberately do that in the hope that the customer won't call to object. I'd be interested in hearing if they do the same thing to you.

5. Dec 3, 2008 #5 of 18
    cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Thanks for the heads-up on that! I'll keep a close eye on the bill.

6. Dec 4, 2008 #6 of 18
    LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    More than likely an error..........

7. Dec 4, 2008 #7 of 18
    sapient_hetero

Dec 3, 2008
    Oh, I don't know. We're talking about a company that charges its customers to get a receiver, charges the customers for 'leasing' the receiver , then holds the customers responsible for maintenance of the 'leased' receivers that still belong to DirecTV. Anyone capable of wanting to have their cake and eat it to as much as DirecTV does is capable of anything. Let's see what happens here before reaching a conclusion.

8. Dec 4, 2008 #8 of 18
    Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Let me correct some of your misinformation. D* does not charge new customers upfront for the first 4 standard receivers, only the "advanced products". Here is the way to look at it....cable will give you the advanced boxes for free but you have to pay a monthly fee for EACH one. D* just charges one fee (DVR, HD) for the whole acct. With D* you might pay a little more upfront, but will save monthly in the long run.

If you have cable you don't own the cable boxes and still have to pay monthly for them. D* does not charge a leasing fee for the first receiver, only the 2nd and thereafter. And because they are leased from DIRECTV you just have to swap the box out if it goes bad. When the receivers were owned you had to buy a new one if it went bad after the warranty if you did not have the PP.

J

9. Dec 4, 2008 #9 of 18
    sapient_hetero

Dec 3, 2008
    And let me clarify some of yours. First, DirecTV does charge existing customers for additional receivers. I know, because I paid for receivers 2-4 in my home. Second, the distinction between "standard" and "advanced" products is meaningless when discussing the reasonableness of the policy. Even though the "advanced" products have more capability, DirecTV is doing exactly what I said; they charge for the product, then collect rent on it. Third, if DirecTV is willing to replace bad boxes for free, their DirecTV Protection Plan advertisement is misleading at best, as it claims to "Cover the cost associated with replacing defective equipment, including remotes and receivers".

I don't care what cable companies do; I'm not doing business with them. Nor do I accept the specious argument that if one company is more unreasonable than another, that the less unreasonable one is somehow completely reasonable.

I'd like to see a class action lawsuit challenging DirecTV's unreasonable legal theory that they can charge consumers for a product, then collect rent on it, then collect a maintenance fee they claim protects consumers from loss if the product owned by DirecTV fails.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    DirecTV does not "collect rent on it". They charge $4.99 per month to mirror the programming to the 2nd and subsequent receiver on an account (whether it is leased or owned). For accounting reasons, they call it a "lease" charge on a leased unit, and an "additional receiver" fee on an owned unit. Same charge/cost either way.

11. sapient_hetero

Dec 3, 2008
    Yes, they do "collect rent on it". According to Webster's Dictionary, a "lease" is "a contract by which one conveys real estate, equipment or facilities for a specified term and for a specified rent" (emphasis added). DirecTV calls it a "lease" on monthly statements, and they expect the customer to return the "leased" unit if service is terminated and reserve the right to charge a fee if it's not returned. As noted earlier, they are charging this "lease" fee on units for which I paid a fee when I acquired them.

Like they say, if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck...

Do you guys work for DirecTV, or have you just never thought much about this?

Doesn't it piss you off to pay for DVRs, then have DirecTV charge you monthly rent for them, and expect you to pay to fix them if they break (or, as in my case, pay for their Protection Plan to avoid it)? Would you be willing to do that with your TV, or your house? Do you "own" anything else that you'd be willing to do that for? Admittedly, some people do something similar with car leases, but at least we have the option of buying a car outright if we're inclined to, thereby avoiding monthly fees once we've paid it off. DirecTV doesn't give us that option, even if we buy a used receiver somewhere.

12. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Well...just got the replacement today.

It's a new R16-300. Nice and black. lol

13. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008

I will respond to this a little later when I have more time. Until then I leave you with this...

:icon_stup

J

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Do not, never have, and don't expect I ever will work for DirecTV. I have given this much thought, see below.
    No, it does not bother me. It was made clear to me prior to commiting what the associated costs and terms of service were, and I chose to accept them and go forward. If I was not willing to accept them, I would not have.

I will say this, I would have to pay considerably more for comparable cable service, and I would not own that equipment either.

As to lease versus own, no matter what name you put on it, your recurring monthly cost is going to be exactly the same. I do not see that as monthly rent. If I had to pay more for the leased unit than for an owned unit, then I would agree with your argument.

15. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Actually, the $4.99 monthly fee for receivers is for the PROGRAMMING known in cable circles as an "extra outlet". Note that it says "leased receiver" or "additional receiver" (if you own it) on your statement. HMMM. It's the same price! How can that be? And if the "leased" receiver is the only one on your account (I.E. if you only have one receiver) there is NO EXTRA CHARGE AT ALL!

No, it's not like Ragu spaghetti sauce where they keep saying on the commercial "it's in there". There is no monthly LEASE FEE. If there was, the monthly fee for a leased receiver would be more than that of an owned receiver. The "leased receiver" designation on the bill is just to clarify what kind of receiver the $4.99 PROGRAMMING FEE is being charged on.

And I sure would like to pay $5 a month for my TV knowing that when it breaks down I can get a replacement shipped to me for $20!!! Seen any TV "service contracts" lately for $60/year??

Regarding your car scenario, you DO have the option of buying any DirecTV receiver outright. But you still have to pay the $4.99 monthly programming charge to receive DirecTV programming on it....and if it breaks guess who pays full price to get it fixed? (Just like that car you bought outright)

16. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006

I don't know how long ago this was, but if it was recently, you should investigate why they charged you for something the rest of us got free.

17. sapient_hetero

Dec 3, 2008
    So you think that if you buy more than one receiver outright (try doing that with one of the HD DVRs, by the way - you'll find it's not possible), DirecTV will charge you a $4.99 programming fee on units 2 and up... but that if you lease those same receivers, DirecTV will charge the same $4.99 programming fee and magnanimously decline to charge a rental fee? :lol: I don't think so! But if it makes you feel better to believe that, you go right ahead.

Incidentally, the TV scenario I outlined didn't involve buying a TV then getting a $5 per month service contract to protect your property. It involves paying a monthly rental fee for someone else's TV, then paying $6 per month to protect their property. It may interest you to know that I pay $18 per month for a service contract that covers my home A/C, water heater, stove, refrigerator, dish washer, garbage disposal and builit-in microwave. Haven't looked for a TV plan, but the 'value' of a $6/month plan that protects someone else's property doesn't look nearly as good when you compare what I'm getting for $18, does it?

Instead of dreaming up these fantasy scenarios, you might want to consider doing what I did to get the information I'm relating here - call DirecTV and ask them.

18. sapient_hetero

Dec 3, 2008
    It was several years ago. My guess is that it predates the time when they stopped selling units outright in favor of leasing. When did you get your free units, and what were they? All of the units I paid for are DVRs, and all were added years after we first signed up for DirecTV.

I've been a DirecTV customer for 7 or 8 years now; I'm somewhat interested in upgrading to a HD DVR, but having to pay them up front for the DVR, then pay a lease fee, plus live with the lousy DirecTV software after years using the TiVo software makes it less attractive than it might otherwise be. My boys both have R-15s, and I just got a R-15 to replace my recently deceased Philips DSR704; I miss the ability to switch between live shows without recording either one and the boys' R-15s have had repeated problems since we bought them. I expect that the refurbished R-15 we just got will be the same.

Maybe it will be worthwhile when the new DirecTV/TiVo HD DVR comes out next year.