1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R15/R16 0x1250 - Issues/Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Greg Alsobrook, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 8, 2009 #1 of 43
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Systems in this software version:
    R15-100 • R15-300 • R15-500
    R16-300 • R16-500

Release notes:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=155865

Please post your full model number (e.g. R15-500, R15-300) as this thread will be used for multiple models.

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants.

All off-topic posts will be deleted.

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Did anyone receive this software release yet?

The Wisconsin R15-300 stream is running 0x123E.

3. zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    I have an R15-500 that has it. System information says it downloaded 0x1250 on Wed 4/8 at 11:59 p.m.

4. Sea bass

Sea bass Icon

Jun 9, 2005

R15 500 received 0x1250 on Tue 03/24

5. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, the R15-500 current national release is 0x1250....but the current national release for the R15-300 is 0x123E for those with this box that may think they haven't gotten the latest update yet.

6. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    This is for an R15 500, software 1250.

I originally posted this at the directTV forums,
    and was told to post it here.

Sorry, I can't post the original URL; but it was at forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?postID=10546562&ie=x#e10546562

This was originally on the 7th (about 2 weeks ago), but the issues are easily repeatable.

The bugs that I have found (all relate to a full disk on the recorder):

1. Last night, I cleared off some space, enough (I thought) to record three shows overnight. In fact, the first two recorded, and the third was "partial" (22 minutes of a 25 minute show. Missed the ending).

2. After that, according to history, there was a partial recording at 7 am of mythbusters (4 minmutes). Now, why there was 4 minutes here, and not 26 minutes (the whole show) of the other one, I don't know. That's bug #1.

3. Coming in this morning, to look at things, it actually said that that mythbusters was fully recorded (a full hour in the recording list), and the next show -- "Pitchmen" (currently airing) was 47 minutes recorded (47 minutes into the airing). However, as soon as the channel was changed, mythbusters dropped to 4 minutes from 60, and pitchment changed from recorded to "Not recorded".

The bug: If a show is not actually recorded, but only in the current memory list, it should not be listed as recorded -- that confuses a person looking at the list. (It triggers another bug as well).

4. At 10:00, it changed channels automatically to record Naked Archeologist. Fine; I wanted to watch it, and even though there's no memory to record, I can watch it. But about 12 minutes in, I hit rewind, planning to go back and watch the beginning again.

There was no "live tv history". It started to record/catch it in the live tv buffer from that point on. It seems that when the recorded asked "I need to change the channel; is that OK?", and I didn't hit "OK", it changed the channel, but turned off live TV recording.

5. At 10:39 (just now), the playback of the 10:00 show reached the end. Never mind that I wanted to go back and review part of it; I get a popup saying "Livepause has recorded this show for you. Keep or discard?". I said keep; it actually discarded it, flushed the live TV buffer, and put me back at "now". 10 minutes into the next episode of Naked Archeologist. Again, the list of recorded shows had shown this episode as recorded, and suddenly it was flushed.

That's the issues seen this morning.

A related bug that has bit me several times recently: If a partial recording is made, and space runs out, there does not seem to be any way to force the whole episode to be recorded once space is cleared up. I will get a popup asking "Ok to delete the oldest recording?", and if I say no, and then delete something else, I am unable to actually get the show recorded.

7. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The "live buffer" uses hard drive space that isn't measured by the "space available" meter at the bottom of the playlist screen. Normally, the unit always "reserves" 90 minutes of drive space for this buffer.

When you are recording a show and watching it, the show is actually being placed in the live buffer. You can see this by pausing and watching the show behind real time. When the show ends but you are still watching it, the control bar will show real clock times instead of time since the beginning of the show. If you change the channel or wait until the end of the show is 90 minutes old, the unit "transfers" the show to a different file that DOES count against available disk space. If your unit is very low on this, only a portion of the show will be placed in "recorded" status, and the rest will be discarded.

8. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    If that were true, then I could have 0% space available, and 90 minutes of rewind. I do. Ok, so the "live" space isn't the same as the recording space -- it is additional.

I agree that this is what happens -- you see the current time -- but I disagree on the rest of what you say.

No. Provably false.

First, in the middle of the recording, I'll get a popup saying "There isn't enough room", and I have the choice of deleting the oldest recording, or stopping the recording.

If I stop recording, and clear out space, then the rest of the show does not later go into the permanent file.

I do not have any ability to do anything besides "delete oldest" and "stop recording". I cannot "ignore", clean space, and continue.

What actually seems to be happening is that the show is copied into two sections of memory -- the live buffer, AND the recorded buffer. Once the recorded buffer stops, it seems that there isn't any reliable way to get it going again.

But as long as the show is in EITHER buffer, then the "long" sense of the show is displayed in the list of shows.

If what you said was true -- and I wish it was, it would be nice -- then what would matter was disk space when the show was over / the channel changed. But I can have 3 or 4% free at that time, and the show is still lost.

9. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    When I am paused, only half of the frame -- every other line -- is displayed.

This makes it hard to read computer generated text on-screen while paused.

This is for an R15 500, software 1250.

10. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Closed captions do not work properly when any gui element, such as the time bar, or the list of shows, or the program guide are displayed.

11. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    The effect of many buttons -- FF, RW, Play, at least -- take effect when released, not when pressed.

Can this be changed? I'm aware that holding down FF/Rewind is supposed to jump to the next 15 minute mark, but the reality is that it often won't go to the start or end of the show, speed 4 FF/RW gets there almost as fast and a LOT more convenient -- I don't use the hold-jump, and it just causes problems.

12. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Today, at 12:30 I have a recorded show, and then at 1:00 (am) a partial (same channel -- the channel that the receiver was tuned to before the 12:30 show recorded). If my disk was full, I would understand and expect that.

But then at 6:30, 10:30, and 11, I have three more partials (all the same channel -- a different one than the midnight shows). That 1 am show could have actually fit.

13. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    A 12:00 and 12:30 show, same channel, were scheduled to record, and marked as "keep until disk is full". The 12:00 show records fully; the 12:30 show records two minutes, and then says "Full, stop recording".

What I expected: The 12:00 show would be deleted from recorded storage, but still in "live TV" memory -- this would allow me to rewind the live TV buffer and watch it, while the 12:30 show went into recorded storage.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    For Pete's Sake, clean up some recordings on your hard drive!!! Most of these become non-issues if you always remember to keep some free available space. General rule of thumb, just like in the regular computer world, when you get down to 10% free, time to start cleaning house.

15. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Software that fails when the disk is full -- in an environment where a full disk is expected and "normal" -- is still broken software.

===
    Today, Discovery was having a mythbusters marathon. I had the first one put on the record list, and with nothing else on the record list, this would -- I thought -- keep the channel on discovery, so that I could, in the morning, rewind the live TV buffer and watch some.

While that may seem odd, the last time there was a mythbusters marathon and I actually tried recording stuff, I ran into a different bug that made it unworkable.

The bug today: When I turned the system on, at 12:15, I found that the "Live TV" buffer was empty. Never mind that it had been on one channel the whole time. It started recording at 9, ran out of space at 9:32, and then stopped doing anything. I was expected at least to rewind to 11:00, probably to 10:45, and maybe even farther back. Instead, zilch.

Previous bug: When I was recording several mythbusters in a row, the disk filled up on the first one. I continued to watch it, live. When I reached the end, half an hour into the next show, I saw "Live pause has recorded this show for you". I said to delete it, and then the Live TV moved to the next show -- with no past buffer. The idea that I had was simple -- I can watch TV, skip past commercials, skip past the segmetns that I'm not interested in, hit pause when I have to take care of stuff in the house (very common, sadly), and not miss anything. That wasn't how things worked, sadly -- when recording, it kept not recording / not putting stuff in the live buffer.

16. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Today at 3:55, I get the "We need to change stations to record something at 4" message. So, I say Ok, hit record on the show I was watching (live buffer). At 4, the recorder changes channel, my show is trimmed to only 56 minutes (disk full), and things seem ok.

But 5 minutes later, I go to live TV, and see that the live TV isn't recording into the live TV buffer. The idea of "finish watching one show, then delete it, and record the next show" doesn't work well when the Live TV buffer doesn't get used.

17. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    ... So at 6:30, I was watching the 5pm mythbusters. I had the 5pm, and 6 pm episode "recorded". I accidentally hit channel change, rather than volumne change on the remote.

No popup saying "Mythbusters is currently recording, do you want to stop"?. It just changed.

I changed the channel back, and tried to see what I had.

The 5 pm episode had 33 minutes, 5 to 5:32. Out of memory, fine.

The 6 pm episode had 6:25 to 6:30.

Why did the 6 pm episode have such a strange set of times -- not the beginning of the episode? Why didn't the 5 pm episode have more time?

Why no warning about the show supposed to be recording?

Note that 6:25 was when I came back to the TV from dinner, and started using the remote.
    ===

In general: If the TV is going to change channel, and there is stuff that should be recorded in the live buffer, it seems that it would make sense to test for free disk space at that point, and save anything out of the live buffer into permanent storage then, rather than giving up partway through and giving a false "still recording" indicator.

18. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Gaah.

Alright, I am 100% certain that the DVR will decide that it is OK to turn off the live TV buffer whenever it feels like it. Today, at 1:30, was a show that I had missed three times already. I had nothing else scheduled to record after it. I turned to the station 4 minutes early. Even if the disk filled up during recording (which it did), with nothing to cause a channel change, live TV rewind/fast forward should be sufficient, right?

Baah. Next time I won't try to record it, and maybe then it will work.

4 times now that I've missed the ending.

19. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    Guide problems with odd-time showings.

Example: Tonight, Scifi -- Syfy -- has a show from 8:01 to 9:01, a show from 9:01 to 10:01, and from 10:01 to 11:01. If the guide is showing the 9 pm, 9:30, and 10 pm columns, then the display will show stargate atlantis (10:01 to 11:01), with the third column "lit". But if I press left-arrow, I expect to go back to the Primeval showing at 9:01. The lit bar moves to Primeval, but the description on the top shows the description of the 8:01 showing of Eureka.

This problem doesn't happen if the columns are 8:30, 9, and 9:30, or if they are 9:30, 10, and 10:30. It does happen at 8, 8:30, and 9.

20. Keybounce

Keybounce Legend

Jun 19, 2009
    This isn't constant, but it's annoying.

At 4 pm, I have The News Hour record. Normally it records completely; sometimes at 4:30 it switches to another show and records it.

Tonight, at 7, it recorded one minute of a show that isn't repeating later (part 2 of a two parter -- double grr), and then switched to a 7:01 showing of another show that repeats again at 9:01.

Yes, the box itself has two inputs; I only have one connected, and the recorder knows this, normally only scheduling one show at a time, and indicating "Won't record" on others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.