1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R22-200 Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Banjolicious, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Banjolicious

Banjolicious New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    DTV sent me a R22-200 DVR as a replacement for my old R16-500. I can't find a setting anywhere to format the video output for my widescreen tv. I do not have (nor want) HD DTV service, but I do prefer that the picture not be in a little box in the middle of my screen. The aspect ratio setting in the Display / Video menu won't let me change it from 4:3 to 16:9. I can see that option but it won't let me select it.

The R16 output looked fine! My TV is a fairly new Vizio widescreen

Any tips on how to get this thing to display properly?

2. Banjolicious

Banjolicious New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I finally found it. Repeated pressing of the Format button on the remote cycled it thru the various sizes. Looks better, but still not as good as the R16

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There are more settings in the Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Display area. Mess around with those. One of them says Original Format ( it is the format of your TV ) it should make everything fit to the TV screen full size. Go back and check the TV format to see if it will let you set it to 16:9.

4. Eddie501

Eddie501 AllStar

Nov 29, 2007
    Yes, get HD service. That 4x3 SD letterbox picture must look horrendous zoomed up to fill the newish Vizio. I'm genuinely curious why you don't want HD service while you seem to care a bit about presentation quality. That would not only permanently fix your aspect ratio issue but give you a drastically improved viewing experience.

longrider likes this.