R22-200 First Look

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - R22 Discussion (private)' started by gulfwarvet, May 19, 2008.

1. May 19, 2008 #1 of 109
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    With Stuarts call to duty request found here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1607707&postcount=3

i totally agree with him, and as being involved in a couple First Looks myslf. i know things can happen fairly fast on releasing a receiver.

So with that in mind, we all know the rule:

WE'RE NOT TO OPEN THE UNITS.

however, i think it's a good time to get started on the following:

First Impressions
    observations
    function of the unit
    Conclusions

i know there will be more things to this list as time goes by. so any ideas you guys or gals may have, please post them here.

2. May 19, 2008 #2 of 109
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    First Impressions:
    Loose hardware was in the receiver on the proto type unit. Though this is not expected to happen, it is worth mentioning so the production units have the proper inspections in place.
    The new remote did not work correctly. The select and channel down butons does not function.
    Setup was a breeze. I plugged one connection into the Sat 1 input, plugged in a video out to the TV and powered it up. It worked like a champ and step-by-step on screen setup was a breeze for anyone to follow.

Observations:
    Everything seems to work as expected even downloads using the same number sequence as all Directv recievers. Surprised to see HDMI out on a SD receiver, but it is there. Packing was good and it came with everything it needed to get it going. No HDMI cable, but a 3 wire RCA adapter was made avaliable for a normal SD connection.

Function of the Unit:
    This thing was put to the ultimate test scenario. I put it upstairs in the play room for my mother-in-law. She had seen us work the DVR down stairs, but she had never messed with one. She had the book and a remote and I told her I was there to help her and to have fun. She went through the manual with only one question as to why she could not record and watch something else. My statement was that only one connection was currently made to Sat 1 and Sat 2 would be hooked up later. It has been easy for her to use and she is loving it.

Conclusions:
    If you want a DVR for the older TV sets in the house or if you just do not want to mess with HD, then this unit is exactly what you are looking for. It has a network connecction so it is capable of all the media share options we have today on the HR2x series of recorders. Hopefully the loose hardware will not bother anything, but I would call Directv for a replacement remote since this one came in broken.

I cannot coment on the network since I have not hooked it up and nor do I know the chipset that is in the box. :(
    Can we get inside pictures posted?

I will edit this start as time goes on.

3. May 19, 2008 #3 of 109
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think the R22-100 first look dealt with the primary comparison of the R22 series against the older R15/16 and the HD HR20/21. We should not need to go into much detail in that area, other than to comment that those comparisons remain valid with the R22-200.

We should mainly focus on the differences between the R22-100 and the R22-200, noting that the -200 is another unit in the R22 product line. Do A/B comparisons of the front panel, back panel, connectors, etc. Once we have internal photos to work with (how about some reasonably hi-rez detailed shots Stuart?), we can compare the insides of the two units. It would really be nice if at least one of us could pop the top in order to do some comparison observations with the -100.

Once the main comparisons are done, then we should focus on our experiences with the R22-200. Some of us have HR series products, while others do not. Some observations from both camps would be worth including. I have an HR21-200 from which the R22-200 appears to be cloned. Their function and operation are virtually identical. I also have an R15 and an R16, and their function and operation are different.

I am willing to take the lead, help, or stand aside based on other's level of interest. I don't have fancy publishing software, just Microsoft Word, so it would certainly be nice if someone could step forward to produce the "finished product" when the time comes.

Carl

4. May 19, 2008 #4 of 109
    Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    When would the "first look" be due? Currently I'm very busy in Denver, CO and will not be able to create a writeup until my business here is complete.

5. May 19, 2008 #5 of 109
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Mother-in-law in the playroom. That just has Freudian issues written all over it. :)

I think a true comparison of the R22 compared to the HR series would be terrific. With the R22-100, all of us were required to not have HD service, so any comparison we were able to make was via information garnered from posts on the forum.

As for not having anything fancier than Word to write up your doc, why you gotta try to outdo us -100 First Lookers??? :lol:

- Merg

6. May 19, 2008 #6 of 109
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    things can happen at a moment notice.

7. May 19, 2008 #7 of 109
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I pretty much agree with carl6. That maybe this should be a comparison to the -100. I will be glad to help in any way. I also don't have any publishing software so I don't know if I will much help there. But, I will give you guys my input.

So, far for me this unit has been flawless. The only issue I have had is canceled recordings in the 2-4 am time frame. But, I have that issue with every receiver. I don't have this connected to the network due to no Cat 5 run to the bed room.

8. May 19, 2008 #8 of 109
    Chaos

Chaos New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm glad to help. I'm tied up until Wednesday or Thursday, but if we don't have a doc together by then, I'll start one. If we do, I'll be glad to hop in and see what I've got to add. It's been getting quite a bit of use in my kitchen, and seems pretty stable. I think the best thing that we can do is compare to the -100 and the HR series since the -100 folks didn't have them.

9. May 19, 2008 #9 of 109
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you guys need it, I have Office 2007, which allows you to save a doc file as a PDF. That's how I created the PDF file for the -100 First Look.

- Merg

10. May 20, 2008 #10 of 109
    dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Hey guys!

I'm happy to help, but I've got a very busy week this week .... I put together the R16 first look a while back, and I've still got the template for that. I'd be happy to send it out, but unless you have Sandvox and a Mac, it won't be too helpful. :)

Sorry for my lack of updates lately - I've just started a new job, and I'm traveling all over the freakin' place for training. That should calm down in the next week or so ....

11. May 20, 2008 #11 of 109
    carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    This is absolutely true, and I was involved in at least one private review like this one where we ended up having about one day to get the first look done.

Regardless of who ends up doing the final document, let's use this thread as the place to post our individual input and comments. Spanky_Partain did a great job using the suggested headings by gulfwarvet.

Then when crunch time comes, it should be fairly easy to pull together the pieces from this thread and create the document. With a little editing and the addition of photographs, it should be easy to knock it out pretty fast.

I didn't realize that. I also have Office 2007, but I usually save files in compatability mode.

Carl

12. May 20, 2008 #12 of 109
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Word will be fine for any of the writing. There is a lot of free software that will let you select printing to a pdf file. The main thing is getting pictures included and then explaining the pictures.

In my opioinion a comparison is OK but that means the reader needs to know something about what you are comparing it to. That is not what a review is. A review assumes the reader knows nothing and you are telling them what this piece of equipment does. It is ok to say something like, "The R22-200 is a SD recorder that is capable of XXX hours of recording time like the R22-100." and so on.

I am scheduled for some surgery this Wednesday and will not be around for most of the week after that.

If anyone is allowed to go ahead and open this thing up, please let me. I would like to get the loose parts out and get that documented as to what was found.

13. May 20, 2008 #13 of 109
    carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    My post using the suggested format:

First Impressions:
    I like the matt black of the R22-200 versus the shiny piano black of the HR21-200, but don't know if that will carry into production. What came in the box was pretty skimpy (only included component video and no audio cables), but I suspect that isn't the plan for production runs.

Observations:
    Being familiar with the HR21-200, the operation of the R22-200 was natural. I have an R15 and an R16 but they get much less use than my HD DVRs. I really like the R22 being essentially a clone of the HR21.

Function of the Unit:
    I loaded up the todo list and playlist by setting a number of series records as well as recording a whole bunch of movies. I've got nearly 100 shows/movies recorded right now, and my unit is at 52% full. So far, it is working great and I really like the larger capacity.

Conclusions:
    I think DirecTV has definately moved in the right direction with the R22 series. This gives them total in-house control over the DVR software which permits better quality and standardization of features and functions.

Carl

14. May 20, 2008 #14 of 109
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I like what you're doing here. It might be interesting to shake up the format and do comments from the field testers like this. I would steer clear of comments on the build quality, you all have pre-production models. As far as the remotes and cable kits, of course they are standard issue but didn't come from the production run either.

I will try to have photos to you this weekend. At this point the trial is running very smoothly thanks to you guys.

15. May 20, 2008 #15 of 109
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    My first impressions:
    I also really like the matt black finish. Doesn't show the finger prints like the HR21. Looks just like the HR series receivers. The only issue I have it that the phone line will not plug into the back the my R22-200.

Observations:
    The R22-200 operates very similar to the HR series receiver minus HD. You are able to hook it up to the network and download DOD and maybe someday MRV. :D The only thing I don't like about the R22-200 is the gray screen when you change channels. In my opinion it should be black.

Function of the Unit:
    As stated above, it operates very similar to the HR series receivers. It is nice having all receiver the same. I have several series links on this unit. We have not had any major problems. The only issue I have had so far is canceled recordings during the 2am-4am time frame every morning. But, that is a common problem across all receivers. I also, like that this unit has an Ethernet port. This was missing on the R15. This unit is able to do DOD, order PPV without being hooked up to a phone line and hopefully in the future MRV. Also, since the R22-200 has the same hard drive size as the HR21 and like the extra capacity for SD recordings.

Conclusions:
    If you are wanting an SD DVR that has all of the functions of the HR series minus HD and extra drive capacity and this is the receiver to go with. It is a very stable DVR.

16. May 20, 2008 #16 of 109
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    What does this statement mean? I guess it is mistyped but I can't figure it out, sorry.

17. May 20, 2008 #17 of 109
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    First Impressions:
    I was impressed, as always, with the look of the product. It fits in very nicely with other DIRECTV hardware. While previous DVRs had indicators that were too dark or too bright, this one seems "just right."

observations

Externally, this seems to be a twin of the HR21-200 when seen from the back. Everything is in exactly the same place. I also note that this DVR does not have the Viiv logo seen on HR21s.

function of the unit
    I was very pleased with the quick acquisition, fast tuning and good quality of the output I saw. However, without an option to turn off the grey screen when changing channels, that does get old fast.

Conclusions
    If I were looking for an SD DVR I'd be quite happy with the R22-200. It has all the functions of its HR21 brothers including On Demand and Media Sharing, and should be a welcome addition to a spare room or bedroom with a smaller TV.

18. May 20, 2008 #18 of 109
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    It is about build quality on my unit. But, it can be taken out since Stuart said to steer clear of that.

But, what I meant is that the phone line will not lock into place on my receiver and falls out. There is something that is blocking it from going in all the way so it can lock. Does that make more since to you? Sorry :)

19. May 20, 2008 #19 of 109
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Yes, the reason I wanted to know is if I should look for a problem in that area. It seems to lock in fine on mine.

20. May 20, 2008 #20 of 109
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Yeah, I think it is just a manufacturing issue with my receiver.