1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R22-200

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by erict, Nov 24, 2010.

1. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    My R22-200 started to freeze and switch channels on its own. I rebooted and got the blue screen stating a failure. I rebooted again and it started fine but freezes and switches channels all by itself. I figure its a hard drive failing. I called D*and they are sending a new box out. My question is, will the R22 they send me be HD ready? I know this box never was but wonder if it will be set up for HD since I now have it connected to an HDTV.

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You will more then likely get an R15/R16 as the R22 is a SD receiver. R22's will show HD channels if you have another HD receiver on the account and pay for HD access.

3. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    If the problem is really your hard drive... and it will still spin up... and you have 2 USB ports on your computer to connect external drive devices, go to http://mfslive.org/winmfs/

I used WinMFS to clone/expand a failing (but not dead) 80Gig drive into a 320Gig drive

4. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    :hurah:
    I do have HD service. All my other boxes are HD receivers. So it sounds like I'm screwed? I will just have to wait and see what they send me and go from there.

5. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    I tried multiple rbr last night without success. So I took the box from my bedroom just so I could watch tv downstairs. The R22 has been disconnected sitting on my kitchen table all night and figured I would give it a try again. It has been working flawless for the past hour. What gives?? No freezing or channel switching on its own.

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Wait wait wait. There is a catch to this. If he is in a market that has MPEG4 only locals like me then he will for sure get a HD DVR for the replacement. Other wise yes you will likely get a R15/R16. The only time it pays to use R22's as a HD DVR is if you live in a MPEG 4 only market, own the R22 and have the PP. At least that is my opinion if you want to use it as a HD DVR.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can also try to push the fact that you use the R22 for DirecTV on Demand, which the R15/R16 cannot do. If you read the replacement policy, it is to replace a DVR with a like DVR. The argument can be made that the R15/R16 are not like DVR's to the R22, due to the expanded functionality of the R22.

If I did not have the PP and needed a R22 replaced, I would not settle with a R15/R16.

- Merg

8. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm not sure what to do. The box has worked fine since this morning but am afraid the issue might return. With that said, I will wait and see what they send me. It has to be an HD box or another r22 which is capable of HD. I do have the pp and am out of contract.

9. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    I didn't know the R15/R16 are unable to support on Demand. Evevn though I don't use it I will keep that in mind if they send me an R15/16. Are they able to tell if I use on demand? What I don't understand is my box is working perfect right now. No freezes, switching channels on it's own and never got the blue screen again that said I have a disc error after the last rbr.

10. erict

erict Legend

Jan 29, 2008
    Well it was working fine (since Thurs) until this morning. It would not turn on so I had to do a rbr again and so far it's working again. So there is defiantly something wrong with the receiver.