R22 Wish List

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - R22 Discussion (private)' started by The Merg, Apr 21, 2008.

1. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    After discussing with Stuart, it was decided to start a Wish List for the R22. This list will look at usability issues of the R22 similar to the way that the HR2x and R15 Wish Lists are done. Since the R22 is in field testing, the wish list will have to be maintained via this thread. I will update this initial posting with additional items as people add them to the thread below...

The R22 Wish List​

1. Yellow Button ToDo List:
    Initial Request: 0x2536
    Add the ToDo List back to the Yellow Button on the PlayList. Since there is the text on that menu about going to Manage Recordings to access the ToDo List, there is no reason why it couldn't be on that menu.

2. Yellow Button Default Sort:
    Initial Request: 0x022b
    Add a Default Sort option to the Yellow Button on the PlayList. Since there is the option to Mark/Delete and Expand/Collapse Groups on that menu, the sort option would be an ideal addition to the menu.

3. Record Series via Selecting Show:
    Initial Request: 0x0226
    This is listed as an issue, but might also be considered a wish list item. When creating a SL, your Recording Settings Defaults are ignored. When searching for a show or selecting it via the Guide, you select Record Series. By selecting Record Series and not just Record on the one episode that was returned or in the Guide, it should have followed my Recording Settings Defaults, which it did not as they were set up for First Run. Even though the episode used to create the SL was a repeat, it is marked as scheduled to record even though the SL is set for First Run.

4. Prioritizer/Episode List:
    Initial Request: 0x0226
    This is also listed as an issue, but could be considered a wish list item as well. Even when there are no upcoming episodes, you should still have the Episode menu choice when selecting a show from the Prioritizer. Currently it will just display the Recording Defaults for that SL. .

5. Cancel This/Cancel Series Issue:
    Initial Request: 0x0229
    When choosing to cancel it only stops the recording and does not delete it, thus leaving you with a partial recording. It might be better if they combined the "Stop and Keep/Delete" prompt with the "Cancel Series" choice.

6. Checking Satellite Settings Screen:
    Exit button does not work when on the "Checking Satellite Settings" screen like it does on other receivers.

7. Highlighted Show in PlayList:
    When finished watching a recorded showing or selecting List while watching a recording, the PlayList appears with the topmost item in the list highlighted. It should automatically select the current show that is being watched or has just ended. If the show is part of a group, the group should automatically be expanded and the current show selected.

8. Format TV Option:
    Those with SD TV's should be able to select the Formats of 480i and 480p on their R22. As the R22 is forced to output at 480p, when hooking up via S-Video, it causes a degradation in the picture quality. It also prevents users from using a Component connection when their TV only accepts 480i input. Both of these resolutions are not HD resolutions.

9. Access SD Options in HD Menu:
    Any option that is not specifically HD related should be removed from the HD menu as they are not accessible to the SD users. This would include the option to change the grey screen on channel changes and side pillars (for those with widescreen TV's) to be black instead of grey.

10. Caller ID Delete Requests:
    The ability to delete calls in the log via the Red button or Double-Dash and the ability to Delete All.

11. Easy Boolean Search:
    Allow selection of the boolean operators via the input keyboard on the screen.

12. Triple-Tap Search Entry: Completed
    Allow the use of the triple-tap method for entering in text on the search screen. Similar to using a cell phone to send text messages.

13. Keep Group Expanded Upon Delete:
    When deleting a show from the PlayList that is within a group, the List refreshes itself and closed the group that the deleted show was within. It then highlights the topmost item on the list. When you delete a show from within a group, it should move to the next oldest/recent show and highlight that show while keeping the group expanded.

14. Delete Entire Group: Completed
    You should be able to use the Red button delete function on the heading for a group of shows. As it prompts you to confirm the deletion, a safeguard is built in. This would allow you to quickly delete a whole group of episodes of a show without having to mess to mark and delete or deleting each show individually.

15. Recent Search Mark & Delete:
    Initial Request: 0x022c
    Add the option to mark and delete recent searches. This can be done by adding the Mark & Delete option to the Yellow Button menu while in Recent Searches.

16. Red Button Delete Bookmarks:
    Initial Request: 0x022d
    Add the option to the Yellow Button menu when viewing a show. When highlighting a bookmark on the list, selecting the Red Button should prompt you to remove the bookmark. Change the Yellow Button menu to always display the entry of just "Bookmark". That way when bookmarks are added they will appear under that heading. People would not just assume that the heading is just for jumping to bookmarks, which it currently implies, as you can also delete bookmarks from there as well by hitting dash-dash.

17. On Demand CIG:
    Add the option to remove On Demand channels from appearing in the Guide, when using the Red/Green buttons to advance/backtrack through the channels, and when viewing titles via Channel 1000 that are not part of a user's subscription. It is quite annoying to select an item to download and to be told that you don't subscribe to that channel and cannot download it.

18. AM21:
    Allow use of the AM21 external OTA tuner for users that do not subscribe to a HD package. Since the R22 is the SD answer, ATSC tuners will be needed in a lot of cases for this environment since the TV's in this environment will mostly be older style hardware that only have NTSC tuners. The add on of the AM21 will provide an alternate path for local ATSC stations.

19. Recently Deleted Folder:
    Initial Request: 0x0248
    Have a recently deleted folder so that shows that are accidently deleted can be restored. This would be similar to what the DirecTivo's implemented.

- Merg

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    For #1: See all the discussions about the ToDo list on the HR20 side of the world.... Until it changes there... you won't see it change here on the R22

For #2: Have you tried the IAMANEDGECUTTER hidden menu? (not sure if it is there or not)

For #3: That is by design. to ensure that that first episode is recorded, in case the scheduler doesn't run before that episode airs.

If you have not figured it out by now... the R22 is HIGHLY tied to the HR20/21 series. So eventually... it's wish list would be tied to the R22... just HD options would not apply

3. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Well I know the #1 thing on the R22 should be the ability to access both 480i and 480p resolutions as these resolutions are not HD.I would also like the ability to hook up the R22 via Component 480i which my TV has.

Also would like the Fast Forward and Fast Reverse become more fluid.Right now it's like watching a Fast Frame by Frame.

And you know what else i would like to see?.The ability to eliminate lockups,freezes and reboots.Which means the R22 needs the ability to Reformat like the R15.This ability gets rid of the old software and installs the new software as the original software.This ability has all but eliminated lockups,freezes and reboots on the R15.I know I probably won't see this but it never hurts to ask.:sure:

4. zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    This hidden menu is present--I've used it to change the default sort on my R22.

I second both of these requests, especially making the FF/RW more fluid.

And a new suggestion (to this thread at least): provide access to the option that allows you to change the background color from grey to black. Reportedly this option is in the (inaccessible) HDTV menu, even though it really isn't an HDTV-specific option.

Also, from the R15 wishlist (albeit near the bottom), I would like to see the auto-tune function added. As in the ability to set the receiver to auto-tune to a specific upcoming show without actually recording it. I used to use this on my D11 receiver to have the receiver change the channel when one of my kids was watching TV. That way when the show they were watching ended it would change to some other show thus avoiding them watching a show that I didn't want them to see that came up later on the same channel.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    #1: I think most of us here realize that, but as we are non-HD users, I figured this was a way to tell the DirecTV developers that SD users want it back as well.

#2: Zuf said it is there, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be in a place that is accessible. It's apparently been there for a while--how long does that feature need to stay in beta?

#3: Doesn't mean we can wish for it. As stated, it ignores your recording defaults. I can understand recording that episode if you double-R on it in the Guide, but if you choose Record Series and you are defaultly recording First Runs and the episode is a Repeat, it should not be recorded. Maybe they need to have the scheduler run a quick iteration when that is selected to decide if that episode should record or not.

I'll add the resolutions request to the Wish List. The FF/RW issue I believe is more of a bug/issue, so if it is not on my issue list, I will add it there. I know I brought it up in the initial software thread about how it was choppy. As for reformatting, is that option not available anymore? I've actually never used it on the R15 (or tried to on the R22), so I'm not completely familiar with it (compared to you).

I'll add about the SD options that are in the HD menu. I know that was one of ThomasM's gripes for the initial release. As for AutoTune, well, let's hold off on that one for now. I think most of the items on the Wish List should be relegated to things that are usability specific to the R22.

- Merg

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well done, Merg. As you all know I'm not testing this receiver but reading your reports I would add to #8 (or as its own item), the ability to change the screen color from grey to black when changing channels.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I'll add the resolutions request to the Wish List. The FF/RW issue I believe is more of a bug/issue, so if it is not on my issue list, I will add it there. I know I brought it up in the initial software thread about how it was choppy. As for reformatting, is that option not available anymore? I've actually never used it on the R15 (or tried to on the R22), so I'm not completely familiar with it (compared to you).

Well I did reformat the R22 before I read the thread by Zuf in which Earl stated"Do Not Reformat" unless asked to by DirecTV.So I have not done it anymore after.But because I did I found the results to be different than the R15.And because the results are different,that is the reason I feel I still have freeze ups,lock ups,and have to RBR to bring the R22 out of it to make the R22 start working right again.Of course I report all RBR I have to do to bring the R22 out of the lockup.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    For the default setting for the list.

It isn't in beta... they have made the decision to leave that as a "backdoor" option, and not put it in the main menu structure.

For the #3: The first recording.
    I am just setting the expectations for the "wish"

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    All I want out of the R22 is a picture as clear and sharp as I'm used to watching on DirecTV in Standard Definition after almost 8 years. All of my previous receivers (Hughes, RCA, D11, R15) have produced "excellent" pictures and sound...until the R22 with it's fuzzy picture. And don't tell me to go out and buy an HDTV! ;)

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I included that in #9 as part of options in the HD menu that are not HD exclusive.

It makes no sense to put a simple default setting as a backdoor option. Putting that option on the Yellow Button menu will not confuse anyone (A menu label titled "Sort Order Default" shouldn't be and would be right along the lines of the Record Settings Default menu option) and will make switching that option back and forth as needed easier.

As for #3... Doesn't mean we can't wish though... :)

- Merg

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    So you did. Well done, again!

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

And that's why The Merg deserves The Cutting Edge Echelon title.:goodjob: :icon_cool

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Now who's being too kind?!?

- Merg

14. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    how about red button or mark and delete or even a delete all option in the caller ID?

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Not me.Just giving credit when credit is due.:)

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Done.

- Merg

17. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Send poor Merq an RF remote like the rest of us got with our field trial units for all of his feedback and efforts!! :D

18. zuf

zuf Icon

May 24, 2007
    Southern Utah
    Heck, send him the backlit one! He deserves at least that much for his (much appreciated, by the way) efforts to collect the issues and wishlist into one place.

19. GiantFan

GiantFan AllStar

Oct 31, 2006
    Hear, Hear!!

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    All I'm trying to really do is pad my post count so I can make the Hall of Fame. :lol:

Thanks for the compliments folks!

- Merg

BTW, Go Big Blue!
    Originally from Exit 10 NJT and Exit 131 GSP!