1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racist? The PB&J Sandwich Question

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    ‘White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Could Hold Racist Connotations

:source:

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    PB&J? Not really.
    But PB and mayo with romaine. Definitely a racist white sandwich. And delicious.

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Peanut Butter & Jelly, YUM!!! I know what I'm going to have for lunch ;)

As for this story, I am just sick of this PC crap. I wonder what she thinks about teachers referring to things such as pies and pizzas when learning about fractions. If PB&J is racist then you better believe they are as well.

4. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    I do find it raciest; but inverted and reverse rasism; only because they find it racist in the first place.

I'm so sick of hearing about what people are owed and not much about what people owe society as a whole.

Ideally, society should be merit based PERIOD.

If one takes offense to cultural items such as sandwiches in part of a discussion, that person or group needs to grow thicker shin and not be sheltered by activist groups looking to right past wrongs in things that are literally taken out of context and skewed in such a manner that a "normal" person woulodn't even bat an eye....

Opps, I did it again----calling a few "normal" which could be contrued as a racist comment by those that are not---normal that is....

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I shouldn't even comment. I'd like to see the story from a less incendiary source. So while acknowledging the whole issue may just be a pile of BS:

America absorbs multi-cultural food. It was years ago that the sales of salsa exceeded that of ketchup. Other cultures' food gets assimilated along with everything else.

As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." I doubt the kids are tasting their PB&Js through politically-correct mouths.

6. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Ideally, yes, but that day will never come. Those in power will always seek to protect their position and abuse those they perceive to be "below" them. I am not talking about racism, I am talking about human behavior in the hierarchy we call society.

Anyone ever had a boss who is less qualified than you, but determined to be abusive to assert his/her authority and maintain his/her position? It happens everywhere in society. Not every person, every time, but it happens. Or a company that is abusive or unfair with its customers, when it has its customers locked into a long-term contract with no recourse? Or a government official who won't look at someone's individual situation, but just wants to move the paper? Or a judge who, when you walk into his courtroom, knows he has you over a barrel, and wants to be arrogant and show you that his is boss, despite his lack of understanding of an issue?

Or some politician who doesn't care about doing what is right, but cares about the special interest that is writing a check to his/her campaign?

Welcome to the real world.

7. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Bread is a worldwide food. How it is shaped and made is the only thing that is different around the world.

To say the sandwich is racist, because it not in use around the whole world is stretching things to the extreme. Except for water, is there a food that is identical in every part of the world? I don't think there is. With that in mind, then every food would be consider racist because it is not eaten worldwide.

I would be more worried about the added salt in today's peanut butter and the added sugar in the jelly then the potential racistness of two slices of bread.

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I read the linked column and I don't understand. What was the point of the column? What does peanut butter (something I don't like) and jelly on a sandwich have to do with racism?

Rich

9. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Because PB&J, and "sandwiches" in general, are consumed mainly by white and black people, and not by Asian or Hispanic people. Each race has its own "normal" food: for example, pita by Middle Eastern people, tacos and burritos by Hispanics, sushi and egg rolls by Asians.
    All well and good, but people of each race and ethnic group have crossed boundaries and are eating foods usually associated with other ethnic groups.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What are we coming to? Furor over a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? And yet, McDonalds all over the world are accepted and enjoyed by many, many millions of people. There's got to be a contradiction in that somewhere.

Rich

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    After reading the article it would appear Vernice Gutierrez is not dealing well with menopause. It's the only rational explanation for her making such a absurd statement.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That makes more sense than calling a sandwich "racist".

Rich

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Its food! Really!

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That was my first thought, too.

My second thought was "who cares?"

My third thought was "this is insane!"

Rich

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I've hated a lot of sack lunches.

I've never had one hate me back.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And you know that, how?.... :lol:

Rich

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Have you been talking to my bologna again?

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Reminds me: The article and Ms. Gutierrez are a lot of baloney.

19. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    What's scary, she is a principal.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sometimes the higher you go, the dopier the people are. Witness Union Carbide's demise.

Rich