1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain fade only on 99/103c

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mogulman, Aug 24, 2008.

1. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    Ok.. so we had a bad rain/thunder/hail storm tonight. I had some rain fade outage with DirecTv. I thought I had things pointed pretty well.

I noticed that 101, 110, 119 were at 80-90% during the storm. 99 and 103 were both around 50-60%.

When I check the other day in the sun, 99/103 were around 85-90.

So.. Anything else I can do?

Is it normal for 99/103 to be affected more by weather?

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yes, 99/103 are the new Ka signals that are much more picky. They are more sensitive to dish alignment and to rain fade.

3. Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    +1

4. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    If your dish is pointed correctly and secured (so wind doesn't affect it), there is only one more thing you can do, which is get an oversized dish. A larger reflector means you get more signal. More signal means more resistance to rain fade. I don't know where to get a KaKu (99/103) compatible oversized dish, perhaps someone else on here does.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006

There is no oversized dish to replace the slimline. And even if there were, it would have virtually no effect on the rain fade issue. If there is a storm between you and the DirecTV satellite, the signal attenuation is much more than any larger dish could compensate for.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Plus you can run too hot of a signal that can lead to problems as well.

7. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Generally, when the storm is big enough to knock the signal out, it is one that should be paid attention to.

8. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    ok.. just wanted to verify that 99/103 are more picky. I guess I'll check my alignment again on a clear day, but I figure I'm at the best I'm going to get.

9. flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    So what?

So I don't want my PVR to record my shows for later viewing while I hide out in the cellar? So I want to not be able to see local weather advisories/info via my D* satellite locals?

This is a very strange attempt to put a positive spin on losing signal.

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    High 80s/low 90s is pretty well peaked on the Ka sats (99, 103). Because of how picky they are, it is pretty hard to get it locked in much better than that.

Usually just tightening the bolts can give you a few percent difference if you are not very careful :lol:

11. putty469

putty469 Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    85-90 on 103(c) and 99(c) is fine. I saw a video of the tornado in Parker, CO (near you?) and storms like that tend to have really tall clouds that eat up the signal on 99 and 103.

12. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Tall clouds and clouds filled with a lot of water...

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas

Not in my experience. We don't get a lot of rain fade, but when we do it's the result of RAIN. I never pay attention to rain (unless I'm at a picnic)

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't typically get rain fade, as in stratus cloud type rain. When I get "rain fade" is is always a cumulonimbus cloud/thunderstorm and often a storm whose major cell centger is not overhead but just to southwest and in the LOS to the sat. I may get the fade before it starts raining but have OK signal during the rain.

15. mogulman

mogulman Godfather

Mar 19, 2007
    Yeah.. actually this morning I heard there was a tornado about 5 miles from where I live.

16. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I do experience "rain fade" but only when a thunderstorm head is directly between the dish and the sats.

17. Eddie L.

Eddie L. Legend

Jul 6, 2007
    Would you say that low to mid 80s is acceptable for 99 & 103? The reason that I am asking is that I have the same issue as the OP. All of my other sats get very high 90s (with an occasional 100), but the new sats are all in the 80 to 86 range. I've wondered if I needed to request a dish realignment, but I didn't know what everyone else was getting on 99 & 103. Do you think a realignment would be beneficial at all?

18. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    You could maybe inch a bit more out with a bit more tweaking Eddie, but overall that is still very good.

High signal strength will just help to combat rain fade, but for the most part IMO a low 80s to high 80s is not going to make a HUGE difference with rain fade, especially on the Ka signals. If ran fade is gonna happen, it tends to happen with the Ka signals (unlike the Ku signals where many times you will get pixelation instead of rainfade in many rain fade siutations if you have a very well peaked dish). This is all really just what I have noticed on my system and other family/friends systems, nothing official of course ;)

Most installers will not tweak it much more than that anyways (my install was tweaked to low 80s for 103).

19. Doug S

Doug S Cool Member

Jun 2, 2008
    I may be incorrect, but I have heard that even though the Ka frequencies are more sensitive to rain fade, because of the design of the Ka link budget if your dish is aligned correctly you should see Ku signals suffer from rain fade before Ka signals. Anyone else heard this?

20. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Have not heard or experienced that. The Ka signals always die first for me.