1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain Install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JimV, Mar 26, 2008.

1. JimV

JimV Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    Forecast is for rain on Friday and DTV is supposed to be here installing my new 5LNB dish (replacing my ancient round dish). The round dish is on the side of the house and probably cant be replaced in the same location as the 5lnb because of LOS. The new dish is probably going to have to go on the roof, and on the other side of the house. So *some* new cable runs also although one tv is on one side of the house, the other is on the other, so in theory you could use the old cable although at least one ofthem is rg59.

So to the real question, if it rains, will DTV get up on my roof to do the install?

2. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Depends on the installer. I will work in a slight drizzle but won't in a good solid rain. My tools cost too much to let them get ruined by the rain.

Plus, ladders tend to get a little dangerous when they get wet.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Some installers will not do roof installations even on sunny days. Be sure to verify ahead of time!

4. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Most likely not a problem...installers get pushed to do it no matter what! I sudjest have hot coffee on hand and an understanding heart. I always cover my meter with plastic bag...1 gallon freezer bag covers the superbudy without trouble.
    Good Luck! ( don't be afraid to open your wallet for a tip IF it is needed!)

5. JimV

JimV Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    Thanks all.

Here's hoping I have a hearty installer and the rain is not too much or slippery. I dont want them to be in danger any more than they do.

Im more ready to provide tips after reading this forum. Previously I didnt think it was one of those types of things you do tip for.

6. Incompetent

Incompetent AllStar

Mar 26, 2008
    Another thought would be to change your plans and call D* to reschedule the install?

If its not much of a hassle to you it may save from having problems in the long run. While many techs protect their tools, putting on connectors then connecting wet connectors into the LNB/groundblock may cause problems in the future.

Moisture is the enemy.

7. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I used to do that until my Birdog got fried. Not anymore.

My general rule of thumb is I will finish the job if I am able to get the dish mounted and aimed before the rain starts. Unless it is really pouring down. If that happens, I just take a loss on what I have done (if it doesn't look like the rain is going to let up) and reschedule the customer.

8. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    So when the guy falls off the roof will he be covered by your home owner's policy?.............Perhaps DTV could advise you. I turned down an installation because of ice on the roof........they sent another tech who also passed.
    When things cleared up I went back.....found a tech from another company had begun the simple project.
    So where does the dedication to customer service fit in here?
    If it rains go golf!

Joe

9. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    It'd probably help my game if I played in the rain. :lol:

10. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    I don't blameya...the first day my superbudy dies because of moisture is the day I say see ya.......opps I'm sorry that day came and left!!

11. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    you and I know the dirty little secret is that the homeowner is resposible!

12. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I couldn't afford the first superbuddy. :lol:

I used a Digisat (pretty much the same as the accutrac22) for a little while after the Birdog fried. Now I use an Accutrac III.

13. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    how well can you peak the signal in the rain? How do u know u are getting the best signal u can get.

14. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    Really ?

The installer decides to go up on the roof and falls off and it's the home owners fault ?

So if I hire a company to replace the shingles on my roof and a guy falls off I'd have to pay all his medical bills ?

15. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    You wrote this reply 2 days before the install date.
    I wouldn't reshedule based a weather forecast 2 days before the install date.

16. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Well I am not sure really. I did have my ups driver tell me that one of his coworkers slipped on a patch of ice on one of his deliveries and he sued and won against the homeowner. Not really the same thing but you get the idea.

17. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Negative. Insurance comes from the tech or the tech's company. If they're not carrying at least Commercial General Liability valued at $1 Million or more, they're opening up themselves to major problems. If you're a homeowner who cares about risk on your property, ask for their insurance certificate.

18. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    Exactly. No.

19. Canis Lupus

Oct 16, 2006
    In general as a homeowner, you're responsible for your private pathways to your home, as well as the public sidewalk in front of your home, so in this case the UPS worker had a case. Thats different, though, than a party providing a professional service within or around your home at your request, and for which, you are paying.

20. jlancaster

jlancaster Icon

Feb 10, 2006
    Thanks for clearing that up. That makes perfect sense!!