Rain/snow fade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by iamqnow, Dec 30, 2009.

1. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I thought this was interesting enough to share. Previously I had posted about so much loss of reception during inclement weather. I admitted the weather has been far worse than normal. I think it was Veryoldschool, if not I'm sorry, who explained about angles to the satellites through clouds being an issue. I am on the mid-Jersey coast, right on the water. Well, the weekend before Christmas we had a blizzard and got at least 2' of snow. Last Saturday we got a rain deluge. Never lost signal either time. Go figure. I had a dish alignment around October or so and still had issues after that, even though prior to, my signals were all where they should be.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Didn't this storm come from the west of you? [think your other times they came from the south]

3. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Yes, you are correct. They came from the west as opposed to the normal Nor'easters we are hit with.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So the bulk of it wasn't between you and the SAT.

5. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I really need to write that weather fade document eh? :D

6. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Godfather

Dec 6, 2005
    It's certainly interesting when you lose sat signal, and its not raining where you are, but in 15 mins the signal is back but its a monsoon outside. Angels play a big role, and as we are further north, the dish is low to the horizon.

Kind of off topic, but I always wondered why Directv does not offer a cover or heating element install on a dish. It will only help with the customer sat issues when there is a problem with snow/ice, etc. That said, I have never had an issue with snow/ice (and we get plenty of it). Rain has been the Achilles heel over the last few years, those 'tropical' storms coming up the coast cause more issues here than a traditional nor'easter snow storm.

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I actually built one for my 3 lnb dish from stainless, just have not gotten to this one yet. wish I had though...
    not too hard, just takes time and drilling stainless sucks..