Rainbow Media & Uverse in carriage dispute

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by phrelin, Jul 9, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm never quite sure where to post TV biz items that relate to both satellite carriers and cable systems, plus TV shows. So I'm putting this here.

From an article in Variety subheadlined AT&T threatens to drop AMC, IFC, WeTV days before 'Mad Men' premiere:
    I know quite well that Dish subscribers like me will never see AMC and IFC in HD because of the lawsuit between Dish and Rainbow over VOOM. And I also note that there is some discussion on Direct threads about where is AMC HD?

It's good to see a telcom battling the cost increases. I was beginning to think that in a few years we'd be seeing $250/mo packages with the extra $100+ going to the greedy media companies.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe this will be good news for both Dish and DirecTV.

For a long time it has seemed like Dish was alone in fighting these disputes... but DirecTV has had a few. IF cable and AT&T/Verizon will jump on board and similarly have issues, it might bode well for everyone getting better deals.

It also, specifically in the case of Rainbow, might bode well for Dish as Rainbow probably doesn't want to have other carriers drop them.

3. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    AT&T U-verse may lose the rights to carry AMC,IFC, and WE in an ongoing diputs with Rainbow. This may take effect on 7/14.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    More evidence that DirecTV's delay in offering these channels may be linked to the unattractive pricing requested by Rainbow....some call it content provider greed. :D

Looking at how Dish dropped 4 channels, and now UVerse is also dropping some...there is clear proof that this is more than just a fluke situation.

It seems to underscore that we are entering an era where starting up new HD channels requires tough pricing negotiations, which is not a fat process unfortunately.