1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainfade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Combat Medic, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    I've got a significant problem with rainfade at my house. The weird thing is that all of my signal strengths are in the 98ish range, but still I'll get rainfade even when it isn't raining very hard at all.

I'm just guessing here, but is it possible that the SWIM is doing the automatic gain control thing and is throwing off the numbers?

2. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    Big summer time thunder boomers or cloud cover alone affects this in the summer time, not so much of a problem in winter months or late fall early spring, plus we had giant solar flares this week too ,just look a the northen lights they a spectacular.

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Make sure your 98 readings are from the 99c, 103ca and 103cb sat screens. 98 is high for these SATS, but all those readings should be 90+. Those are the HD SATS and go down before the SD SATS.

If you are not 90 or above on a good weather day, you need a dish alignment.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The numbers on your TV screen (signal level) are SNR, not a level [dB/dBmV/dBuv]. So gain of the amplifier/switch with it will not affect reading not to increase values for sure.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You're correct, but the wording might be better:
    The TV screen numbers come from the SNR [or CNR], which is measured in dB, but displayed as a percentage.
    The SNR isn't affected by loss or gain from the LNB to the receiver, and would only be when the loss is so great that it would be well below the receiver's minimum level.

6. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

7. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    As Tiny implied, it is the total amount of water in the path from the satellite to your dish that causes rain fade. It might not be raining at all at your house, but there still could be significant cloud cover in the LOS. We had some thunderheads recently that were more than 55,000 feet high. Clouds that high can be ten miles away from you and still be in the LOS path.