1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raleigh-Durham blackout of Bobcats games?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Ice Runner, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 #1 of 20
    Ice Runner

Ice Runner Legend

Sep 30, 2008
    Just moved back to N.C. and noticed that whenever I see a Bobcats game listed, it's always blacked out. Why is it that I can't see these games?

2. Nov 9, 2010 #2 of 20
    dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I read an article last year(I think) that said that DirecTV only purchased the rights to show Bobcat games in a 100 mile radius of Charlotte or something like that.

3. Nov 9, 2010 #3 of 20
    Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Actually it is 75 miles but DirecTV can narrow it down that small. You will never get them see play unless they play on TNT or ESPN which is very rarely.

I live in Chapel Hill and I haven't been able to watch the Bobcats since they moved their local games to Fox Sports. The Bobcats claim it is DirecTV who needs to pony up for the territory broadcast rights. I think it is poor business by the Bobcats when no one else outside of the greater Charlotte area can ever watch them. How they ever expect to grow their fan base is beyond me.

However I refuse to purchase NBA league pass (which will not get you the Bobcats games either) from DirecTV for this reason alone as I do think they should pay the extend territory fees for as much money as we pay them.

Here is a link to my post from 2008.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=144294

4. Nov 9, 2010 #4 of 20
    Ice Runner

Ice Runner Legend

Sep 30, 2008
    Thanks for the info. That is pretty lame. Seems like the NBA wouldn't let a team do that. This never is a problem with MLB, right?

I take it that cable subscribers in Raleigh-Durham can see Bobcats games?

5. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    So wait. You purchase League Pass to see out of market games. Raleigh is out of the DirecTV market for the Bobcats, yet it is not available???

6. Attitude2000

Attitude2000 Mentor

Jun 22, 2005
    It's like the opposite of a problem. You can see the Braves from Jacksonville, FL to middle Tennessee from old territory restrictions (NC is Orioles territory I believe)

7. crimpshrine

crimpshrine Legend

Aug 2, 2010
    I love when I wrote the Bobcats about this problem, they said Directv decided not to PAY to show the games outside their broadcast radius. Why should Directv have to pay for the Bobcats to show their games in their home state? I want to know why the Bobcats made such a stupid broadcasting deal?

The Carolina Hurricanes show their games in North Carolina and South Carolina but the Bobcats only show their games within a 75 mile radius? I want to watch my "home" team play! Makes no sense for a team that is hungry for new fans. :confused:

8. May 1, 2011 #8 of 20
    Ice Runner

Ice Runner Legend

Sep 30, 2008
  9. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm in Durham and am now getting Bobcats games this season. Before this season, they were blacked out. Anybody have any idea what happened? Did the Bobcats relent or did DirecTV pay an extra fee to allow games to be broadcast in the Triangle?

10. shy007

shy007 Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 11, 2003
    The Bobcats games were blacked out last year for me but all of them have been on this year. I live in the Lexington, SC area which is probably 100 miles or so from Charlotte. They were fun to watch until the last few weeks when they started that long losing streak.

11. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    How many Hurricanes games have you seen this season? :D

12. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm in Durham and I was getting the Bobcats games this season, but I've noticed that the last couple of games (including tonight's game) are blacked out. What's up with that?

13. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I saw on Twitter that Fox Sports said to send them your zip code if you didn't get tonight's game.

14. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks. I just did that.

15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have had Directv in Burlington for 2 years and usually see the Bobcats on SportSouth, channel 650-1, but now I see that some of the games are mirrored on FS South 2, channel 647-1, supposedly for the people in eastern NC who don't get SportSouth as a local RSN. Did you try both channels?

For baseball, I get Braves, Reds, Nationals, and Orioles, in reference to the 2 year old comment about NC being Orioles territory, although I have heard that not everyone gets the Braves.

16. BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    We could list all of the public relations missteps the Bobcats organization has made since their inception, but it would end up being longer than the Vader's Landlord thread. They have gotten better since MJ took over. Bob Johnson was the absolute worst.

17. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes. Blacked out on both stations. All season up until about a week ago, I got the game on both stations. Weird.

18. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    If you change your icon to a Duke logo, i bet they'd work...

19. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Not worth it! :)

20. RL_Bynum

RL_Bynum Cool Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Just called to ask about this. After several minutes, the guy couldn't fix it. He offered me 2 months of free showtime and 6 months of Starz and I took it.