Randomly selected for big reduction in monthly bill, no contract, free premiums and Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PennHORN, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mar 4, 2019 #1 of 22
    PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    I just received a call from an Indian call center. I signed up with DirecTV in October and have the Choice Xtra package with Starz, Cinemax, HBO and Showtime. I am paying $133 a month now. I was told my bill would be reduced to $75 for the next 2 years for the same package PLUS free Sunday Ticket and a $100 Visa gift card. He said that this discount is being offered because of a sponsorship ATT has with eBay. The catch is that I need to buy an eBay gift card for $300 and basically pay 4 months in advance with the gift card. I have to call back to the billing department by 8pm tonight to pay the $300 Almost seems too good to be true but I called DirecTV with the promo code I was given and it is legit. I was pretty pissed off at DirecTV over the weekend because I requested another Mini 4K client and they sent me a wired instead of a wireless box and wanted me to pay $99 and cancel my appointment with the installer. Pretty frigging happy to get a big discount and be free of my contract.

2. Mar 4, 2019 #2 of 22
    liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Scam scam scam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2019 #3 of 22
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Wow no wonder these scams proliferate if people are this easy of marks? Seriously, the "you need to buy an eBay gift card for $300" doesn't set off all your alarm bells?

4. Mar 4, 2019 #4 of 22
    liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Lol

5. Mar 4, 2019 #5 of 22
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The gift card offer may be valid - for new customers (you are not new).
    Buying a $300 eBay card to pay for the offer is a complete scam. Report this offer to eBay!

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  6. Mar 4, 2019 #6 of 22
    PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    On second thought doesn’t pass the smell test. Im sure it’s a scam. Got called by an Indian and then give you second number to call and it’s a Russian sounding dude, I spoke with a Russian about my receiver so that’s why I thought it was legit

7. Mar 4, 2019 #7 of 22
    PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    How did these bastards know what my bill was. Damn it. He had my address too.

8. Mar 4, 2019 #8 of 22
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Go to your account online and change your PASSWORD, YOU HAVE BEEN HACKED.

Rich likes this.
  9. Mar 4, 2019 #9 of 22
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If it seems to be too good to believe...

Rich

10. liftedpsd2010

liftedpsd2010 New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Lol what are the odds of this. I just got this text. [​IMG]

11. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    On another note - there is no such thing as a wireless 4K client.

RAD likes this.
  12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Can't you tell by the grammar and spelling issues that its some random script kiddie in India? I don't have "Dirctv", I have DirecTV. You'd think a company would know how to spell its own name haha...

13. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    You aren't the first person to report this type of scam on a new account. I've said this for the past couple of years, I think DTV has a leak somewhere in the area of new accounts. I got a call very similar to this a couple of years ago and it happened a few months after I opened a new account for our vacation home. They had my account number, service address and called me on the phone number for that specific account which is different than the phone number on my main account. I posted it back then. At the time, the number they had you call back on even had the whole DTV menu with the same female voice.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    att needs to crackdown the subcontractors

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I'd be suspicious if they said DirecTV. If it isn't all in caps (DIRECTV), it isn't from them.
    Examples:
    upload_2019-3-4_17-1-7.png

16. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    I changed my password.

jimmie57 likes this.
  17. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    That was my same exact experience as well. I was skeptical throughout the whole thing; what almost had me hoodwinked was the DTV menu on the callback number and the Russian accented speaker since I had spoken with a rep over the weekend who had a similar accent. Pretty damn sophisticated scam.

18. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I doubt it has anything to do with the account password. Read the privacy policy of any big company like AT&T / Directv, they can "share" (i.e. sell) your information to an unnamed list of "partners".

I wouldn't be surprised if cable/satellite companies sell information about newly installed customers, and other companies would be interested in it because a lot of those new installs will be people who just moved. So those other companies can try to market everything from TVs to refrigerators to them. And, inevitably, scammers will get hold of the information either by buying it directly and posing as a legitimate company, or by hacking one of those partners.

19. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Its easy to hack, they might of got your password from an other site that got comprimised, there tool then tries the same email and password at all the other sites known with logons.
    If you used the same password at the other site as you did for directv, then they know it, plus your email.
    They logon and get your bill, then try to scam you.
    Happens with other services also.
    You pass should be unique to every site (maybe just a few letter or numbers off)

20. heidic

heidic Cool Member

Apr 21, 2009
    The first rule of checking on the validity of an offer is, never use the phone number they give you to call back. Look up and use a number you absolutely, positively know is legitimate.

dreadlk likes this.