1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rangers-Senators Game 1 Blacked Out in Hartford Area

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mulliniks, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mulliniks

mulliniks Cool Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I would just like to thank the NHL Network, MSG, the NHL, DirecTV and whoever else might be responsible for once again not allowing me to watch the Rangers. The game is blacked out up here in the Hartford area. I can't watch it on MSG. I can't watch it on the NHL Network. This would happen during the season whenever Rangers games got picked up by the NHL Network, and I could deal with it, sort of, then because I had Center Ice, which gave me most of the other Rangers games (except those against the Bruins, which I could still get on NESN). Now I suppose I'm left with only the nationally broadcast games (aren't they all supposed to be available nationally? I guess not) for round 1, if any of those exist (maybe a game on the weekend? I haven't checked). This is beyond ridiculous. What purpose does the blackout serve? It's not like I can pay extra money for some secret tier of programming (maybe there's the utopia tier, where blackout rules don't apply). I'm pretty sure that there's absolutely no way that I can watch the Rangers-Senators game on DirectTV up here in zipcode 06033. I emailed both the NHL Network and MSG asking if I'd be blacked out, but I suppose now I know the answer. Big surprise that nobody ever responded to my emails. I'm not going to bother calling anybody at this point (been there, tried that). I just need to rant a little bit.

2. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I am right there with you. I just sent yet another, this time scathing email to the NHL Network about this. It disgusts me because I have sent probably 20 polite emails about this issue over the season and NOT ONE has been responded to. I am POSITIVE this is a NHL Network issue. They have their blackout area TOO BIG and not in sync with MSG's blackout area. I know it's the NHL Network because I do NOT have this issue if a game is on the NBC Sports Network. I do get blacked out on MSG but the game is perfectly available on NBC Sports. When the same situation occurs on the NHL network, I get blacked out on BOTH.

I am so PO'd right now it is unbelievable. I don't know why they keep ignoring this issue.

3. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Welcome to Philadelphia PA all day every day.

4. MonyMony

MonyMony Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    Welcome to my world with any Philadelphia game. I can understand blacking out a national feed so you can watch the local rsn, but when the rsn is not offered where you live it it very annoying.

5. mulliniks

mulliniks Cool Member

Nov 19, 2009
    And I'm in Bruins territory, right? But the Bruins-Caps game was still on NBCS, in all its full glory, even though I'm in NESN country. This only happens with NHLN games. How hard can it be to match up blackout territories? I know the NHL and Charles Dolan don't get along, but help out the fans. At least when MSG withheld HD feeds I could still watch the game in blurry SD. I feel for the Flyers fans (but not all that much, since they do root for the Flyers). I'm not even sure who I'd call at the NHL Network to complain about this. It's great to "watch" a hockey game by using the Score Guide. This makes me not even want to watch any other playoff games. I almost wish ESPN still had hockey rights (but not really, since then I'd have to watch ESPN or ESPN2).

6. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    I sent a note to my contact in MSG with your angst. The contact has been enormously helpful in the past to fix problems when possible.

7. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    I still think this is a DirecTV issue - they've been blacking out Devs/Islanders wrongly for years on MSG+ , drives me nuts.

8. thenerks

thenerks Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    A few years ago I used to have the devil's games blacked out. I am a Ranger fan but Hockey is Hockey. I called the NHL office and after several attempt someone got back to me to confirm I was correct and should not have been blacked out based on my zip code.
    A week later I started getting the Devil Games. The blackouts are controlled by the league office not by Directv or the channels. If it was up to them they would never black anything out. Good Luck. Go Rangers!!

9. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I guess we should be calling then. What ticks me off is the amount of times I have emailed without a peep back from them.

10. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I called that NHL Live show on the NHLN on an occasion or 2.When I did get through,the screener told me Commisioner Bettman was NOT taking any questions about blackouts.
    The NHLN has a LARGER blackout radius than the Center Ice channels.That Pees me off to NO end.I get the Flyers just fine on Center Ice,but when the NHLN gets their games,I am 100% blacked out.
    If you goto the msgtv faq section,there is an explanation of their blackout protocals.
    They televise X amount of games outside a certain radius around the city.
    These rules are archaic and must be revised or better yet,ELIMINATED !

11. thenerks

thenerks Cool Member

Apr 12, 2007
    National Hockey League
    1185 Avenue Of The Americas, New York, NY 10036 ยป Map
    (212) 789-2000

It was a while ago but it cannot hurt to try.

12. MonyMony

MonyMony Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    With the Flyers blackout here in Cecil County, I know it is not a Directv issue. My father in law lives two miles away and has the same blackout on Dish. It is a stupid league and/or local team issue.

13. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Comcast Cable blacks out all Philly sports here in my area on ESPN,NHLN,CI & EI.DirecTv does NOT with the exception of the (partially Comcast owned) NHLN.That is the reason I switched to D.