1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rangers @ Twins on Fox (9/4/10)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Cheif_Bigfoot, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Cheif_Bigfoot

Cheif_Bigfoot New Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I'm sure this is a Fargo issue but it appears D* is getting an HD feed (the scorebox in the upper left corner is cut off since we still don't have HD locals. I can see the score but both of the teams names are cut off. Also on the top right I see the MLB logo and I think there is something behind it (normally "on FOX" I think). If this is the case and D* is getting an HD feed why in the world can't they start broadcasting in HD already? Oh and long time reader first time commenter.

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Fox has chosen not to keep graphics within the safe 4:3 window. It was an unwritten rule that broadcasters followed when there were SD/HD OTA stations, but times have changed. I've seen that also with Cox4 broadcasts of the Padres games on Extra Innings. It'll be interesting to see the graphics for NFL next week.

3. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Cable companies and providers just crop the signal for the SD channel instead adding black bars to the top and bottom for people with 4:3 sets.

4. videojanitor

videojanitor DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 8, 2006
    This is a DirecTV issue in your market. FOX sends a bit of data with the program that determines how the SD viewer will see the image -- it will either be center-cut 4x3, or letterboxed 16x9. This code needs to be respected by the receiver that DirecTV is using to pick up the station -- if it ignores the code, you will get a center-cut 4x3 picture at all times -- which is exactly what you are seeing. You should be getting a letterboxed 16x9 image during the game.

The official FOX line is that viewers need to complain to their program provider and tell them to enable the "AFD" function in their equipment.