RANT: AT&T can ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DesertWind53, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Apr 12, 2019 #1 of 127
    DesertWind53

DesertWind53 Mentor

May 28, 2007
    15-year subscriber here. A year ago we moved to a new house and signed on as "new" customers, even though the service at our old place had only been shut down for 6 months at the time. We got one of the "new customer" whiz-bang deals with $300 in debit cards (of which only one $200 card ever showed up), dirt-cheap programming for a year, free install & equipment, & free Sunday Ticket. Typical offer.

So a year later, we just added another TV to one of the bedrooms. I log in to try to order another wireless receiver, figure it's got to be easy, right? No, can't be done online, you must "call for offers". Great. I'd rather get a root canal without anesthesia, a colonoscopy performed by a paroled sex offender while wide awake, or watch a test pattern for 72 hours straight than attempt to deal with these knuckleheads on the phone. So I call and manage to navigate the awful robot front end and wind up with a robot of a woman at a call center somewhere on the other side of the planet, who sounds more indifferent than the average fast food cashier. She checks for "offers" and then announces there currently are none, and that the new box will cost me $99 up front, $7 a month to lease, and *requires* a professional installation at another $49. Are you f'ing kidding me AT&T? There shouldn't be any charge up front since I'm forced to lease the damn thing anyways (and have been a customer for 15 freaking years with a massive average monthly bill over that time) and I can't even self-install it? That's a bad joke. So I politely told her I'm out and got off the call.

We will wind up putting an Apple TV on that one and call it a day. Our reasonably-priced 1st year on the new deal is about to end, then our bill is gonna skyrocket. My plan was to drop to a lower-cost plan when this happens, but I'm guessing I won't be allowed to do that without resetting the clock and being on the hook for 2 years again - can anyone confirm/deny?

Once our obligation is over, I'm jumping to Dish and not looking back. It's so sad to have been with DTV when it was a (relatively) well-run company, to now see it destroyed by AT&T on so many levels. I could tell a much uglier tale of signing up at the new place a year ago, but I won't bore you with it. It was far worse than today's call and lasted about an hour for what should have taken 5-10 minutes.

AT&T, you're a sad organization and have already ruined DTV, and it didn't take long.

Glenee and 242424 like this.
  2. Apr 13, 2019 #2 of 127
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Thread title edited to remove offensive language.

3. Apr 13, 2019 #3 of 127
    longhorn23

longhorn23 Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I agree. It's super annoying for them to try to get you into another contract and an up front charge for adding a box when you still have to pay monthly for the box. I've never had to deal with stupid policy like this with any cable tv provider. When I had fios, I never had to deal with such foolishness. I could add or subtract boxes with no up front charge or change in contract.

4. Apr 13, 2019 #4 of 127
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Changing your plan (or removing equipment) won't add to your contract date. I think you have to keep a plan with a minimum charge of $30 per month.

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. Apr 13, 2019 #5 of 127
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Nothing you said is new. There has always been an upfront charge for the box. Your going to have the same thing at Dish.

MysteryMan likes this.
  6. Apr 13, 2019 #6 of 127
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    So you are complaining because the CSR quoted you the standard charges for a new box.

7. Apr 13, 2019 #7 of 127
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I started with one box back in the mid 90's and added boxes over the years and now have 7. Never was I charged an upfront charge when adding a box. I have only added one since AT&T bought DTV and didn't pay an upfront charge for it.

8. Apr 13, 2019 #8 of 127
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is my understanding that a
    DVR or Genie would require a 2 year contract but a non DVR is only 1 year.
    Try this Number 877-999-1083 during normal business hours Monday thru Friday.
    We, so far, have found these to be Local / USA people and very nice and know how to fix you up. BE NICE on the phone to them.

9. Apr 13, 2019 #9 of 127
    jtredskin

jtredskin New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Have had DTV for 13 years with no interruptions, last year they contacted me to upgrade for "free" to the genie clients with 4K. so we did it and what a mistake that was. immediately we had issues with screen freezing, blank screens every time you turned a channel (had to constantly hold the exit button go to SD then back to HD and missing recordings and after multiple tech visits and new boxes switched out over and over, they said it was either an issue with the brand new 4K TV (sure) or the wiring in my house. never had an issue with the "wiring" when we had our DTV HR44-700, not one! they quoted me a ridiculous amount of $$$ to re-wire my house for the DTV clients. said our $$$ protection plan did not cover wiring. no way we could afford that so we just stuck it out and it sucked. called multiple times to get a discount on bill and was told NO because of the new equipment and that I did not quailfy for discounts even though for 13 years never asked for one. then our HOA added full cable package with epix, hbo and redzone to our development in jan 2019. so now i was forced to pay for cable ($50/mth because of community discount, compared to $140/mth with DTV) and at the same time had DTV that was awful and almost unwatchable. our neighbor bought a tivo bolt box and brought it over to "test" it and immediately it worked with none of the issues that DTV had. finally we could turn channels again! Called DTV this month to cancel the service and based on the issues we had they cancelled the service and waived fee. But before they cancelled they said I qualified for HUGE discounts. $100 a month off! WTF! not until I cancelled! Bye bye AT&T. remember when DTV was a good company and by the way stay away from their crappy genie clients and the 2-3 4K channels is a scam. now have tivo with 2 tivo clients with cable and everything works, finally! I can watch 4K with amazon and netflix.

242424 and Rich like this.
  10. Apr 13, 2019 #10 of 127
    scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    There are always Two sides to a story
    Being a fair and balanced web site here is the other side . . . .

You do know these boxes are not free. They are a public traded company and are required by law to make money for their share holders

They cost Directv ATT money. The $7 a month does not cover the full cost of install and config.
    Look at the Apple TV they cost $180. Look at a Tivo Bolt also several hundred. Look at a Tivo MINI again $150 or more.

11. Apr 13, 2019 #11 of 127
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    An HD client costs Directv $50 or less, the $99 they are charging (and sometimes waive) more than covers it plus they are charging $7 a month on top of it. Comparing prices with Apple (who is well known to charge some healthy margins - and you list a 4K model not the comparable HD model) and Tivo (who can't charge monthly fees for the Minis so they need to make up for it somehow) doesn't make the hardware cost more. Why not compare to a Roku or Fire, which are both much less expensive?

Not to mention that you don't get to keep the client even though they make you pay for it upfront and with monthly charges. Directv makes a killing off its hardware, that's how they can afford to discount packages so much they are sometimes below programming cost.

12. Apr 13, 2019 #12 of 127
    jtredskin

jtredskin New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I understand 2 sides to the story and that DTV wouldn't exist if it didn't make money for their shareholders. But they refused go back to the HR44 (which worked!) even though the 4K clients never worked at my house and had constant issues becuase my account was "upgraded". they charged about $20/mth for protection because they said if I didn't have that they would charge me $99 every time they had to send out a tech. I can't explain the frustration of everytime turning a channel getting a blank screen! And there is nothing wrong with my wiring! i found out the DTV remote (hold exit button) trick in this forum that the tech said he didn't know existed! Without that I could not watch TV. Yes the tivo box cost upfront but it was worth the piece of mind. frankly I couldn't believe DTV would push that client system that is so awful, i told DTV over and over I can't be the only person with this issue and they said I wasn't alone.

Rich likes this.
  13. Apr 13, 2019 #13 of 127
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Hahah.... good one. I needed a laugh this morning.

ClayKY, compnurd and Rich like this.
  14. Apr 13, 2019 #14 of 127
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    1) DirecTV and AT&T have both always had wacky policies

2) Tech's aren't trained to troubleshoot anything. That's too time consuming for the turnaround time and would require hiring people with deduction skills. Instead, just rip it all out and re-do it. They can pay the rip it out guys less and they don't have to train them. The supervisors aren't much better trained. They'll only send out the detective guy as a last resort. It's the same approach with Cox. It's cheaper to lose a customer then have a "troubleshoot" tech on the pay roll.

It's why DirecTV techs can't do anything more then tell you to reboot your box.

3) The protection plan is $8.99/mo

4) If it was me and the first tech couldn't fix the problem, I would have told them I'm not paying for a failed tech call. The tech didn't fix anything. You want your $99? Fix the problem.

15. Apr 13, 2019 #15 of 127
    AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Yea, they shorted me $100 also......Calling is a joke, so they win again, and thats an extra $200 for the CEO!

16. Apr 13, 2019 #16 of 127
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Welcome to the world of AT&T! The only company that could drive me back to cable after 20 years.

ClayKY likes this.
  17. Apr 13, 2019 #17 of 127
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A total misunderstanding of what "fudiciary duty" means. They have a fiscal responsibility to the company's shareholders, but it doesn't mean they need to grab every dollar they possibly can.

AZ. and lparsons21 like this.
  18. Apr 13, 2019 #18 of 127
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The $7 per month applies regardless of how the additional receiver was obtained. The monthly cost for an owned client, leased client or software client is the same $7. The only way I have seen to avoid it is to bury the price in a promotional price ("up to 4 rooms for ..." pricing - which may not be in a current promotion).

19. Apr 13, 2019 #19 of 127
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    It doesn't actually mean anything since it isn't really enforceable.

I worked for a start up and Microsoft was interested in buying us. They offered $10M. The CEO said he wanted $100M. So Microsoft laughed and walked away. 8 rounds of layoffs later, he sold it to some VC firm for $2M and all the employees got screwed on stock options.

A biotech company went from $30 to $290 pretty much overnight over a cancer drug. Then it started tanking when everybody came to their senses. Once it got to about $130, they had some offers to be bought for about $150 to $160. The CEO said he wanted $200. All the buyers laughed and walked away. A year or so later he ended up selling for $80 if I recall.

Just 2 examples of breach of "fiduciary responsibility". Nobody got sued, nobody went to jail. Big shock. Nobody got fired.

A more recent / famous example is Elon Musk. His erratic behavior is a breach of FR / FD. What happened to him? Nothing.

Rich likes this.
  20. Apr 13, 2019 #20 of 127
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Box fees have always been a money grab by DirecTV / Dish / Cable. What am I going to do with the service without a box? Yeah, sure, charge an outlet fee. Making you pay $xx for the box upfront? Money grab for sure... At $7/mo, they make back the money they paid for the box and then some over the initial 2 yr contract. And when you cancel they want the box back anyways. Then throw in the DVR fee on top of that.

Yeah, let's charge for the base package and then throw in an additional $25/mo on top of that, if you know... the person actually wants to be able to watch & record it.

What is DirecTV going to call the bogus fees when everybody moves to streaming? I'm sure they'll come up with something like a per bit fee. "Oooohh….. you want ALL the bits? Well, that's extra! We sell them in increments of 8".