RC32 remote Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by racemanva, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    Good Morning all. Have a question regarding the operation of my D* RC32 remote(standard issue with the HR20). About 1/3 to 1/2 the time after I manually select channels(inputing channel numbers)thru the remote the receiver doesn't change channels. So, I have to do it again and sometimes a third or fourth time until I get the receiver to change channels, it's like the receiver doesn't recognize the channel change. Is this a common issue? Haven't seen any other complaints about this. Or am I doing something screwy? Changed batteries and that doesn't help. Any ideas? Is a new remote in order? thanks in advance. Bill

2. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Do the numbers you enter appear on the tv? If they do, your HR20 is expecting 4 numbers to be entered (with leading 0's). If the numbers do not appear, the remote and receiver are not communicating. Of all my D* remotes, the RC32RF with back-lighting is the most responsive. It is the second one on this page:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2700002

:)

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Try pressing "enter" after the numbers.

BTW: the RC 32 shouldn't be considered "standard" for the HR-20, since it isn't RF capable.
    Standard for the HR-20 is the RC-34 which is both IR & RF capable.

4. racemanva

racemanva AllStar

Nov 3, 2006
    mcbeevee: Thanks much for the info, to answer your question, yes, the numbers do appear on the screen as I punch them in, so remote and receiver are communicating. However, I'm not preceeding my 3 digit(in most cases) input with a "0" as you indicate I need to in order for the receiver to recognize 4 numbers.

Been using this style of remote for a couple years and it's never been a problem inputing 1,2 or 3 numerals and the receiver responding accordingly on the first try. So, is there a way around this annoying requirement to enter 4 digits when using the RC32 remote? :confused: Thanks. Bill

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    see ^ and wait for the new software.

6. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The HR20 has gone back and forth about using the enter after 3 numbers. It is really confusing when you have an HR20 and H20. The current national software for the HR20 wants you to hit enter after 3 numbers, but the H20 beeps (error) when you hit enter after 3 numbers. The next new software version for the HR20 will allow you to enter 3 numbers (or less) without pressing enter to change the channel. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.