1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC65X will only work up close to H24-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TransitJohn, Aug 29, 2010.

1. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Hello,
    I have a recent install (2 days ago) of an H24-700, which came with RC65X. Initially, everything worked fine. However, when I got up yesterday morning (Saturday), the receiver would not be controlled by the remote, unless it was withing a couple inches of the IR port on the front of the receiver. This range has since expanded to about 7 inches. Yay!:nono2:
    I did some googling, and found some message board threads stating that the problem could be the auto-compensating brightness control in some LCD televisions. I have disabled that completely in my Sharp AQUOS, called OPC, to no avail. Could I please have some help? Many thanks, in advance.

2. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Are you using IR or RF mode? Try RF mode.

Holding down the play button, are you getting a solid green LED above slider switch or flashing?

3. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Hello armchair,
    It's IR, I thought by giving the RC model number that would be understood; opted for brevity. Holding down the play button, I get a solid LED.

Also, I should have given a more complete OP. I have double and triple checked the settings on both the remote, and receiver, as well as have reset both multiple times. Thanks!

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You may still be getting interference from your TV or some other source.

Do you use a remote repeater in your system? Does it work any better after the TV has been on for a while? How close to your TV is the DirecTV receiver?

And welcome to DBSTalk. :)

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    And don't forget to put new batteries in the remote just to make sure that's not the problem.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Good call, DogLover. A defective battery would explain a lot.

7. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Carl,
    No, no repeater at all, and the problem doesn't abate after time; also, the phenomenon occurs even with the TV powered off. The distance between the TV and the H24 is 22-24".
    DogLover,
    Fresh batteries were the first thing I tried. :)
    Attached is a pic I just took of the setup.
    Thanks for your attention to my problem, everybody.
    Cheers,
    John
    [​IMG]

8. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Try putting it in RF

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Almost certainly IR interference, which is worst during the first 15 minutes after you turn on the TV. It'll also be worse when the room is dark or when most of the screen is black (closing credits, for example).

Use RF mode or move the receiver.

10. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    There is no RF mode on this remote control, it's a RC65X. And how come the problem didn't exist for the first 36 hours of this install? And the situation does not abate after any amount of time. I had the TV on all day yesterday with no change. Just trying to understand how IR interference could occur on a delayed-reaction, or if the problem is IR interference at all. Thanks everyone for your continued troubleshooting assistance.

11. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yes it does you have to go into menu-setup-system setup-remote control--rf/ir setup

12. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Fluorescent lighting in the room?

13. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    We're talking about the remote control not the receiver. The RC65X has no RF mode. I'm more than aware than my H24 is capable of using a RF remote.

14. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Yes, however problem is still manifest when they are not on, like now, and all day yesterday.

15. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Try RF

16. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    From what I've read, the OP is correct - the RC65X is an IR-only remote. The RF model would be RC65RX.

But the way to tell for sure is to look on the back of the remote. RF-capable remotes have an FCC compliance sticker.

17. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    This remote doesn't have RF.

18. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    My mistake then sorry

19. TransitJohn

TransitJohn Cool Member

Feb 8, 2009
    What, you didn't believe me?

20. JACKIEGAGA

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Did that remote come with your H24-700 mine came with RC65RX?