RC73 Programming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mccoady, Aug 7, 2019.

1. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Could someone answer a simple question for me. I have a Genie Mini C61-100 that I'm feeding via coax to three small tv's in kitchen, office and laundry room all using RC73 remotes. The Mini is in a bedroom and I have a RC73 programmed to that tv.

I know that with older RCIRRF type remotes you could manually program it to control a tv... but can I manually program each of the RC73's to the kitchen, office and laundry room tv's so I can control the volume?

I think I probably know the answer but is there anyway to program a RC73 remote to turn off your tv and not the receiver?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm sure you can program to do the volume of the different TVs properly. But I don't think there is any way to program them to not shut of the C61 when you hit the off button.

3. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok we’ll how do I specifically go about programming a RC73 to each of the small TVs in order to control the volume?

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You can program them just like the RC6xx remotes. Just ignore the step to move the slider to the TV because it does not have a slider.
    The remote is smart enough now to know what each code is for.
    All DirecTV receivers the code for them starts with a zero, etc.
    Go here, Remote Control Code Lookup
    Look up the TV code by following instructions on the screen

Then repeat that with each Remote.
    Note: I do believe that when you are finished the On and OFF buttons will turn off the receiver and that particular TV.

You probably should just use the RC73 for the receiver and the TV that it is hooked to and then use the TV remote on the other TVs. It will turn the volume up and down and mute and it will turn off just that TV.

5. mccoady

mccoady AllStar

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanks guys I did try to manually program like the RC6xx remotes and it never takes because the "Program Remote/Don't Program Remote" comes up on the screen... oh well guess I'll just have to use the TV remote, or universal remote.