1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC73B Died...?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rich, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Last night I went downstairs and told my wife she could watch whatever she wanted. Had to go back upstairs, the RC73B would not work. I had it set to RF and the only thing I could get it to do was turn the TV on and off. I did the 981 thing with the remote to reset it and it works in IR. Doing 981 naturally killed its ability to control the AVR, no more volume control.

I tried to reprogram the 73, put it back in RF and set up the TV and AVR again. I was blocked by a message that said I had to "pair" the remote. Never saw anything like that before. Tried to pair it, I guess it's like pairing a remote to an ATV. Didn't work. What's up with the "pairing" thing?

The other question I have is how did the 73 just stop working? I have no idea how to do that. Is it possible that pushing a bunch of buttons out of frustration could have caused this? It didn't default to IR from RF. It just stopped working. What would cause this? Never had these problems, never had to "pair" a remote on a D* DVR. Never had a remote just stop working.

Rich

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Press the Mute and the Enter buttons and hold them until the message that they are paired comes to the screen.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, did precisely that and got no message. I put fresh batteries in it immediately, that did no good either. I took the batteries out of the 73 overnight, let me put fresh batteries in and we'll see what happens...same thing, no message. Just tells me to run the setup again which I've now done about a dozen times.

What bothers me is the way the 73 just stopped working. It lost RF but did not default to IR. I'm not sure that's possible. Always thought IR was the default but I had to reset the 73 to get it back into IR. It wasn't in IR or RF, that's what bothers me. How could that happen?

My wife tends to push a lot of buttons on remotes when things don't work right. Could that have caused this?

Rich

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What receiver are you trying to pair this with ? If it is not a Genie 44 or higher or a client the pair thing does not work.

You might have to do the same procedure as putting in the 981 except to enter 00001.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Did you use the Select button or the Enter button.
    I ask because the older remote uses the Mute and Select button.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have an HR44-700. I do have the peanut (RC73) remote that came with the 44. I bought the 73 because I needed the backlight. The 73 works in RF and the 73B is fine in IR.

But is the remote going damn near dead and the inability of the remote to pair properly a coincidence? Don't see any reason to blame the 44. No hurry, I'd just like to know how the RC73B did what it did. I'm getting the urge to buy a new remote and see if that pairs. If it does I'll just throw the other one away.

Rich

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It could have had one of it's small parts die. I really do not know.
    If the 73B is turning your TV on and off and volume the IR is working in it also.
    Yep, the remotes are very cheap to just replace it.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 73B is working as it did before it lost the ability to use RF (I guess that's what happened, I can't get any farther in the remote setup than the "pairing" window). I could just leave it in IR but I'm curious as to why it happened. I hoped someone would know how this could possibly occur. But I just bought another C73B on Amazon...~ $3.00 cheaper than SS. It will be interesting to see if the new one pairs.

Let me ask this question one more time: Is it possible that a frustrated person who historically has screwed things up by abusing a remote could press random buttons and cause a 73B to lose its ability to use RF?

Rich

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not know, but, I will say that multiple presses of buttons and combo pressing of 2 buttons at once make lots of things happen. I would think it is entirely possible for a combination of button presses to disable RF in the remote.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Only person that might know, that I know of, is Edmund. He is the Remote Guru.
    You know there is a sequence of number presses to turn off the RF in the old remotes. It might work on the new ones also.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Remember my doorbell "war" with a neighbor? Killed the key fob for my car temporarily. That's what I think happened. Oh well, at least it's not another ceiling fan.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hoped we might hear from Edmund.

I had no idea there was a code for that. Remember what it is?

Rich

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    To take it out of RF,
    Mute plus Select, 2 green flashes, then 961, then channel down.

To turn it back on,
    Mute plus Select, 2 green flashes, then 961 and then the channel up button.
    Problem with getting it back is that you then have to type in the last 6 digits of the receiver ID.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do remember seeing that. But doing that would put the remote in IR. That didn't happen. When I did the 981 thing, that put the remote in IR. Prior to that all I could do was shut the TV off with the remote.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got the new 73B Monday. I did get the old 73B working to some extent over the weekend. I did get it to pair. But I could not get it to control my AVR. I put the batteries in the new 73B and went thru the setup yesterday. It works as it should and has no problem controlling the AVR. Threw the old 73B out. I know what happened but I still can't explain it. It's happened to me 3 times. First time was a few years ago. I had just bought a new doorbell set and was testing it out by ringing the bell. Suddenly the chimes sounded without me doing anything. Turns out one of my nearby neighbors has a similar doorbell and both of ours are on the same frequency. His doorbell rang everytime mine did and vice-versa. Turned into a doorbell war...that nobody won. I finally tired of combat and changed the frequency. Walked out to my car, hit the key fob button for the door and it didn't work. Didn't think it had a bad battery, didn't know what was going on. Had to drive around and finally got the fob working again. The key fob must have been adversely affected by the "war".

I bought a Polk soundbar a couple years ago and wanted to set it up so the D* remote could take care of the SB's volume and other functions. Never got that to work but spent a long time trying every code. This time the RF signal caused the remotes of both the HR and the Polk to stop working as they should. Nothing I did and nothing that was suggested by others did any good. Couple days later I got everything working.

Same thing happened with the 73B the other day. Somebody pressing too many odd buttons in frustration caused the remote to fail. Gave it a few days and got most functions running again. As I said, I ended up throwing it away. New one works fine.

Point of all this is RF signals can play hell with remotes and similar devices. I have no idea how this happens, just know it can happen. It seems to me that the remotes or devices get saturated by RF waves and it takes time for them to get back to normal. Turned into another minor nightmare again but all appears well now.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I had that same thing happen to remote 73b it was doing the same thing - I fooled around & around with it and then I did a Red Button reset and the remote started working again and it hasn't happened since!?!
    If you Have reset your receiver -Fish out of trash your old remote and do a reset and I bet it will still work

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got it working but it still won't control the AVR. I tried rebooting the 44 when the remote stopped working. Didn't do anything. What I don't get is the way it stopped. I can see it dropping out of RF but why didn't it default to IR?

Rich

18. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I don't know - ? I did have to reprogram the old remote as well - Just FYI-I use it for Avr as well

Rich likes this.
  19. khark

khark Mentor

Jan 23, 2005
    Wyoming
    Point of all this is RF signals can play hell with remotes and similar devices. I have no idea how this happens, just know it can happen. It seems to me that the remotes or devices get saturated by RF waves and it takes time for them to get back to normal. Turned into another minor nightmare again but all appears well now.

Rich[/QUOTE]
    On my HR54/500 with 0x1147 I have had the problem of it losing the RF programming on my RC73 remotes since the update to 0x1147 and I have to reprogram them. I have never been able to get it to control my PioneerVSX-84TXSi sound system. I tried all of the programming codes and finally gave up.

20. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've got an "ancient" VSX 9700 and was able to get the RC71 to control it eventually.

Unfortunately I'm no longer using that remote (until I decide to use the HR44 again).

Also unfortunately, I'm unable to recall at the moment what code I used, or how I got it to work. I think just precisely following the directions from the HR44 itself, and took a few tries, but I don't think it was more than a few codes into the list.

Then it's Volume and Mute only.

Point being that that RC7x remotes should be able to control a Pioneer AVR.