re-aligning Dish after a big move

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fizzump04, Jun 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jun 4, 2016 #1 of 12
    fizzump04

fizzump04 New Member

Jun 4, 2016
    PA
    Hi all-

I have recently moved cross country, and i'm trying to realign my Dish. I have Dish ViP722 receiver, with the 1000.2 dish / lnb. I have used dishpointer.com to find all the relevant angles.

I've got it all hooked up and i get good (i think) signals from each satellite, 110, 119, and 129. Depending on the transponder, the Point Dish dialog is giving me signal strengths in the 60-70's for 110 and 119. Though some transponders are in the 30's- is that normal?

129 is a bit weird, most transponders have a strength of 125(!), but a couple are in the 30's. Some start at 20 and a few seconds later jump to 125 and then are stable. And some are 0. This one doesn't feel right.

While the system tells me all satellites are locked, it only gives me the name of the satellite on certain transponders. 110 needs to be on transponder 12, 119 needs to be on transponder 1. 129 needs to be on transponder 4.

So because signal strengths are good, i think my alignment is ok, or at least close. But when i run a Check Switch and Test, and it tells me it has found fewer satellites than before. Since the configuration should be exactly the same as before (only difference are dish angles), i've told it not to save it.

And when i go back to the initial startup page "Acquiring Signal- This should take no more than 5 minutes to complete..." it is just stuck here, never getting signal.

Anyways, something isn't quite right but i can't figure out what. Any thoughts or advice from anyone? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Fizz

2. Jun 4, 2016 #2 of 12
    4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    Just wondering if you checked the Dish offer for moving?....they advertise it enough..you would get better install and alignment from Dish, IMHO..

https://www.mydish.com/moving

3. Jun 4, 2016 #3 of 12
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You moved across country? Are you trying to use an Eastern Arc LNB to receive the Western Arc satellites? It won't work. Call DISH for a Dish Mover in most cases it is free.

4. Jun 4, 2016 #4 of 12
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Where did you move FROM, and where did you move TO ? We also need to know what Local market you are now in .

All that said - I'd agree with RBA - you probably ought to call Dish and ask for a Dish mover service call - they should be able to get you setup for your new service location.

5. Jun 4, 2016 #5 of 12
    fizzump04

fizzump04 New Member

Jun 4, 2016
    PA
    Hi all-
    I moved from west coast to PA. But i am still targetting the western arc.
    -Fizz

6. Jun 5, 2016 #6 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Call DISH. They will be happy to send an installer to your house in Pennsylvania and get the dish correctly set up.

7. Jun 5, 2016 #7 of 12
    4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    Not only that, you would lose local channels if you try to stay on the Western Arc...

8. Jun 5, 2016 #8 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Some markets in PA are on 129 ... others are on 61.5. A couple of markets are on both arcs.

He would need to change his service address to his new accurate location since the west coast stations are not receivable in Pennsylvania (not to mention the terms of service violation and legalities of receiving the wrong market's locals).

9. Jun 5, 2016 #9 of 12
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    and can't read the rest of my request apparently - (we are NOT trying to stalk you - we need to know this info to HELP you).

As James pointed out (and I was asking you to confirm) - there are MULTIPLE TV markets in Pennsylvania - Some of them on 129, others on different satellites - it makes a BIG difference where you are at as to what you need. I know the Erie PA market IS on 129.others may or may not be....

Still - all the advice (including mine) has been for you to call Dish and ask for a Dish mover service call.

10. fizzump04

fizzump04 New Member

Jun 4, 2016
    PA
    Sorry, was getting rushed out the door at the time.

I'm in Harrisburg, so i'm not sure what market i'd be in. When i put my Dish on hold and told them where i was moving, the customer rep told me that i'd not need any new equipment, dish included. This to me suggested that they're ok with me continuing to point at the western arc satellites. I'm ok with this as i wanted to keep in touch with my Cali stations. But if i have to change, i have to- i'll just get the new lnb and repoint.

Fortunately, i think i have resolved it. I did a hard reset of my box and that seems to have corrected the weird signal issues. All signal strengths are around 50-60 and pretty consistent, and the dish now recognizes them on bootup and has succesfully downloaded the pvr listing. So now i just need to contact Dish and sort out the details and get it reactivated.

Thanks for all the input!

-Fizz

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Harrisburg is a market ... with locals on 61.5. You will need a new dish/LNB.

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    You won't be able to get any California stations either (except maybe KTLA if you are already taking the Superstations).