Re broadcasting sporting events

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Andrew Sullivan, May 23, 2020.

1. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    With CBS televising golf tournaments from the last two years or so, and several NHL Stanley Cup finals also being shown, why isn't CBS, FOX, ABC, and NBC showing NFL games or major sporting events from last year? Especially playoff games. They did show last years Super Bowl. MLB playoff games would also draw a good audience not to mention high profile college games like the bowl games.

2. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    I suspect CBS is airing the golf reruns as I believe they originally had live golf scheduled at those times.

3. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I have a feeling that it has more to do with re-broadcast rights.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    NBC has been showing Olympics and will be airing the 2019 Indy 500 tomorrow in the timeslot the 2020 race should have aired (now scheduled for August). Fox has NASCAR in its normal time slot Sunday evening (same race originally scheduled in Charlotte).

Live Golf was played last weekend without crowds before the first NASCAR race without in-person attendance and the best TV ratings in several years keeping the fans at home.