1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really ticked off with DTV Customer Serivce!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Crypter, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I guess a little background first.

I am a D* Customer going on 5 years now, although I got my parents into D* way back in 1996 (when I was in college) while I was living at home. So that doesn't really count as tenure for me but whatever. I subscribe to Premier + NFLST+SF, NBALP, and MLBEI I have 3 HDDVR's and 2 regular HD Receivers. Needless to say I spend over $200 a month on AVG with DTV. So I think I consider myself one of their "Better" customers.

My wife has been wanting to see "Meet The Robinsons" on HD-PPV so I went online to order it so I could record it on all my DVR's. So I recorded it and then the next day when we went to watch it I realized I recorded the wrong channel (there were 3 channels showing it). Of course it only played for 5 mins then asked me to call Cust. Service for ordering info. (it was my mistake definitely)

I knew it was my fault and NOT DTV's. However, I figured I am a good customer and they will credit me the cost of the movie so I can order it again or at least just order me an upcoming showing for free. Now, I know it is only $5 and it's not like I don't have the money for it. But I don't like throwing it away either. I called Customer Service and the CSR basically said "Sir, I am sorry you ordered the wrong movie and now you have to order it again". So I asked her (just to be clear) "so you mean you won't credit my acount for that movie or at least let me record it again at no cost?" She said "No, sorry". I of course got a little upset and asked to speak with a supervisor. Five minutes later she comes back and says "sir, we will credit your account for this charge as a one time courtesy".

Ok I know it is not that big a deal, but I am sure she talked to someone who looked at my account and determined I am a good customer and then told her to credit my account. But shouldn't they flag the accounts of GOOD customers and give them a little better customer service? I mean I hate that I had to argue with this lady and demand to speak with a supervisor to get this minor issue resolved.

ok rant over. What do you guys think? Is my stance here wrong?

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If it's your mistake, they don't have to give you the credit. Do you realize how many people would call and ask for a PPV credit using that excuse when they just didn't like the movie?

My parents had an issue when one of the Wrestling events got charged to their account. They don't order PPV and they've never ordered a Special Event - plus they don't like wrestling. No idea how this happened, but it took some doing to get them to take that $50 charge off their account - of course that was a one-time courtesy thing also, but not their fault.

I feel for ya, but don't think the policy is wrong. If it's my fault, I take the responsibility and take it as a lesson learned, I don't expect DirecTV to pay for my mistake.

3. ben arnold

ben arnold Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Sorry you had an issue it is always frustrating. Although this clearly didn't appear to be D*'s issue. Having had to deal with E* for 3 years, it now takes a lot to get me wound up. I've never felt like I was talking to someone in a foreign country with D*. With E* you got someone in India about 90% of the time.

4. diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    OK, in theory but who's going to set the criteria as to what a "good "customer is?

Sort of related to this...Why isn't HD PPV like the standard PPV? With standard you pay once and the movie plays on all available channels until the end of the "viewing day."

I ran into the same type of thing with a power outage and lost a PPV recording in progress.. Directv said there wasn't anything they could do. (and I'm a "good" customer!)

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I think you got great customer service, even after wasting their time over your mistake.

Carl

6. lowgolfer

lowgolfer AllStar

Dec 8, 2006
    You made the mistake why should take give you credit. Take some responsibility

7. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    but it's not like this actually cost them any money...

8. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Crypter --

It would be nice if DirecTV had some sort of method to allow you to reorder the same movie again at no cost, to handle cases where you weren't able to view the first showing (like trying to record the wrong channel, in your instance, or electrical/signal problems).

But not having that isn't really bad customer service (though it is lack of a service feature which will result in dissatisfied customers).

On the other hand, if your complaint is about how the CSRs treated you, that is a different issue.

(By the way, is that your wife in your avatar? It's probably worth the $5 to reorder the movie just to keep her happy.)

9. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007

Lol.... no that is not my wife. Although my wife is also hot, I would not post her pic in a forum (especially wearing something like that). But I am a sucker for cleavage and I wanted a Christmas pic that was pleasant to look at.

As for the Customer Service issue, I suppose most of you are right, it was my fault and admitted as such. But I think a quick look at my history with DTV would find that I have never had such an issue before and they would see that I spend a lot of my hard earned money with them and maybe they wouldn't have made me get upset and ask to speak to a supervisor and put my on hold for 5 minutes.

But I guess with the level of service most companies give and the level of service most of you are used to would make you think this is "good" service. I can tell you in many instances the level of service you receive is directly tied to the amount of money you spend at said establishment. This applies to almost any case. You pay for what you get.

10. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    I would call back and see if another csr will doit
    If you buy someting in a store and you dont want it you can bring it back.

11. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    I got my problem resolved after I asked to speak with a supervisor. I guess we can drop this discussion, I suppose this is the "best" service we can expect from D*.

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    You got lucky, I am surprised they credited you. Just imagine how many people call and try to get 2 movies for the price of one. Not saying you did that but just imagine how many people try that on a daily basis. I am surprised they don't have a Zero tolerance repsonse for all those kind of claims.

13. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    I have directed call centers for years, and in a former job, with a large credit card company. We have very sofisticated models that "scored" the customers based on card usage, spending, etc. that was easily viewable to all CS reps. It was a determining factor in try to save or not save an account if someone called and wanted to close their account. If it was determined you were a save, fee waivers, interest rate reductions, etc. now came into play and the CSR's were empowered to use the tools presented to them.

Now, is D* up to the same level as they were? Probably not. And with a lot of the "free" recievers and upgrades going on the last few months, the negotiating power of the CSR's may have been pulled in a bit.

14. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006

Except he wasn't trying to get two movies for the price of one. He was trying to get one movie twice. He didn't want to watch a different movie, he wanted the same movie that failed to record.

15. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Exactly, and I made that clear to the rep when I called. I even gave her a time and channel should could "enable" the movie for me so as to gaurantee that it was the same movie. But again, I guess you guys would not call and expect to get this fixed if you were in my shoes right? Sure it was my mistake, but it was the first time I really ever had an issue of this type. At the very least I would like to get that "One time courtesy because of my good standing with D*" without having to bitch and talk to a supervisor about it.

16. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Everything worked out so I guess I don't really understand why there is even a thread on this.

17. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Actually, for copyright purposes and royalty payments it might cost them money each time they authorize a party to view the material...depends on how their contracts are worked out.

18. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    He's not complaining that it didn't work out. He's complaining about the way he was treated.

19. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    D* does "rate" their customers internally. And that is probably why the sup looked at your account real quick and gave approval to the CSR. It seems like a situation where a CSR cannot just credit for a movie, in the cases where someone is being dishonest, not in your case, but maybe a lot of people have tried this?

20. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    You might be right about that. I guess a company can't give every CSR too much power or that might introduce more problems. However, I don't see why she couldn't just put me on hold when I explained the problem and asked her supervisor for permission to do this. At this point it is really just a procedural thing. I am not so upset that I want to leave DTV or anything, actually I have always had good service from D* and I have gotten good deals on all my equipment. I guess I just felt liek in this particular case I was talked to as if I was commiting fraud or something. Up until the CSR got back from hold and had a different attitude with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.