1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reboot

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by henw, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 1, 2008 #1 of 23
    henw

henw Cool Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Why does it take so painfully long to reboot a DTV receiver?
    I lose power on ocassion. Getting the system going again takes several minutes. Is it due to a slow processor?

Tom

2. Apr 1, 2008 #2 of 23
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It might have something to do with getting information from 5 satellites. How long is it taking you and what receiver?

3. Apr 1, 2008 #3 of 23
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You may want to consider a small UPS unit for your receiver. If you're getting small power outages/fluctuations it can prevent reboots and protect the electronic circuitry in the machine.

4. Apr 1, 2008 #4 of 23
    Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    The DVR has to go through a bunch of checks to make sure all of its components are functioning. It also gathers information as to what type of dish you have as well as gathering some Guide data. It's mostly checking that the software starts up the required components, like the modem and the network...

5. Apr 1, 2008 #5 of 23
    cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    Actually, it seems to start up all the required components rather quickly. About 90% of the boot up times appears to be spent on the steps that are identified on screen as "checking satellite settings", and "acquiring satellite data". I'd love to get a good explanation as to why they are spending a good 8 minutes on those two steps.

6. Apr 1, 2008 #6 of 23
    JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Ditto, the boot on an HR especially is painfully long. I'd almost swear they were fdisking and formatting the flippin' hard drive :lol:

7. Apr 2, 2008 #7 of 23
    ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004 Legend

Mar 28, 2007
    For what it's worth, rebooting our H20-100 is slower now than in the past. I swear that everytime they update the software, it slows the unit down.

8. Apr 2, 2008 #8 of 23
    JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    I can't think of the last time I had to boot one of my H20's, but I seem to need to boot my HR20 weekly.

9. Apr 2, 2008 #9 of 23
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    As mentioned before, the best purchase you can make to avoid the reboot time is a UPS.

Remember, these units aren't just computers, they are also satellite receivers. Just the way of the world of any satellite DVR. :)

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Don't you just like people like henw that post a question then never show up again in their thread.

11. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    There are forums I visit only once a month or so, and some only once a week. perhaps this is like that for him.

However, yes, it does strike me when someone relatively new throws out a complaint, then disappears.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Pull pin,
    drop grenade,
    run quickly...:lol:

13. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    :lol: Reminds me of a few weeks ago when I addressed a question on a Canon photography forum by suggesting that the differences between two specific camera bodies, for the average lay-user, was all in the head. I had to duck that thread for two weeks, due to the outraged Canon-ites.

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Restating the obvious from above. UPS, UPS, UPS. Especially here in Florida, the lightning capitol of the world.

15. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Don't forget that the UPS IMHO is not only to prevent rebooting the DVR it also to provide power during short outages and blips in the power so that any scheduled recordings can keep going.

I used to get momentary blips that would reboot my Tivo. After putting in the UPS no more problems. I even have my Alarm clock plugged into the DVRs UPS for that room.

16. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    I can't speak for the OP, but I have UPS's on everything in my house that does not exceed the capacity of a given 1500VA unit. The point remains, the HR units boot slowly.

17. henw

henw Cool Member

Nov 11, 2007
    UPS sounds like a good idea. Still, why does it take so long to acquire satellite data? Does the receiver actually have to get input from each bird for over a minute a piece. Or, is a mass produced receiver built to hold costs down, things like processor speed?

Tom

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "It" needs to do some housekeeping:
    "listen" for if your account is active and this receiver is on it,
    Download guide info, so it "knows" what to display, etc.

19. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Seems to me they could get this booger up a little more quickly by "remembering" some of that info (guide data especially) between boots, and update it offline once the thing gets you back into what it exists for - watching the flippin' TV :D

Oh, heck - why don't we go all the way - stabilize the thing so reboots are so rare nobody cares anymore

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While we're at it: make it keep track of how long it's been "off" [without power] so when it wakes back up it's ready and can serve me my coffee [hot]. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.