Received HR20-700 in bad shape for an Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ItaliaVP, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 6, 2008 #1 of 25
    ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    So yesterday I received an HR20-700 after accepting a 99$ upgrade offer from D* to replace an R15. I already have an Hr20-100, an H20 and 3 other receivers. I was either expecting at best an HR21 or at worst an overhauled HR20. When I opened the box yesterday I was horrified to see a filthy, scratched up Hr20-700. I was so angry. I didnt mind it was an Hr20-700, but the condition that it was given to me was a sure sign of disrespect on the part of D* to a customer. I phoned D* this and after being tranferred 3 times, I finally got a Rep who understood the value of customer respect. I explained to her that even though the unit was offered to me at a discount, I still expected a respectable piece of equipment that didnt look like it was tossed around and abused. I also explained that sending me that was not only a slap in the face of a customer, but a bad reflection of D* in the eyes of others who come over my house The kind CSR processed the replacement as a full priced new order and said that should almost ensure (but not fully guarantee) an HR-21. I said to please note the order that after what happened I would prefer a HR-21 but would be fine with any HD DVR as long it was in great condition inside and out. I just figured I would share this experience in case it happened to someone else.

2. Jan 6, 2008 #2 of 25
    1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Picture? Everyone has at least a picture-capable cell phone.... At least folks in NY..!

Would make more of an impact if you posted that, or sent it off to DirecTV. I'm sure the folks in charge of whichever warehouse this got sent out of would appreciate it, you didn't say where it came out of (read the shipping label). :)

3. Jan 6, 2008 #3 of 25
    gregory

gregory Legend

Jan 25, 2007
    I agree, I'd like to see it. Can't say I'm surprised.

4. Jan 6, 2008 #4 of 25
    ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    I'll take one when I remove it I was forced to install it and activate it cause I was having a party last night and I wanted to show off my home theatre area. I cleaned some of the greasy residue off before putting it in but there are still scratches on the front and sides. The BBCs looked fragile too....The box is labeled Carlisle? No bubble wrap either, just wrapped in plastic and clumsily taped shut. I would hope its an isolated event, I did get an H20 recently on a Protection Plan exchange and it was in perfect shape and shipped nicely.

5. Jan 6, 2008 #5 of 25
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Make sure when they send your replacement that they also order a return kit - I'm sure they'll be expecting that one back.

Ugh - greasy residue? Not cool.

6. Jan 6, 2008 #6 of 25
    bjflynn04

bjflynn04 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2004
    Well I hope your next HD DVR comes in better shape then the first one. I am Jealous that you got to upgrade yours for just $99 because I just got off the phone with them and I was told they best they could do for me is $299.

7. Jan 6, 2008 #7 of 25
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Not surprised, they just sent me two non-functioning HR-20s in a row, one refurbed, one new. DTV has become the FEMA of digital television.

8. Jan 6, 2008 #8 of 25
    dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    wait til the 10th when it goes to 199.

9. Jan 6, 2008 #9 of 25
    ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    Yes I know! It was gross..I had to use goo gone to get it off! I made sure they are sending me two return kits, one for the original receiver that was being replaced and another for the gross HR20.

10. ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    I had 3 SD receviers to upgrade to HD, I originally went in asking for 3 H20s. The original offer from them was 1 for $99, 1 for free and to buy 1 at costco for $69 (which they would credit me $10 a month for a year) I went back and figured well i can get 2 H20s at costco for $69 each and ask D* for the HR20 for $99. Thats what they agreed to and look what they sent me. I told the rep today if I would have known they would send me crap as a result of the discount, I would have gladly paid full price for a respectable unit.

11. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    I agree they should have more respect for the customer but for all your bitchin you have not complained at all about the functioning of the HR20. So you really didn't get burned too badly "Goo Gone" isn't a $200 expense so your discount may not have been that small.
    But you are totally right it shouldn't have been sent out without at least a cleaning.

12. ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    I never complained about the functioning..it works fine, but 1) it was more than greasy dirt on the receiver, there are several scratches on the front, sides and top, most prominently on the front and 2) its something I dont want displayed in my living room especially considering the thousands in equipment and custom furniture that surrounds it. But it doesnt matter where and who the receiver is going to , it matters to me that as a customer D* is sending out their equipment like this.

13. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    If you haven't already, I'd email D* and ask them to relay feedback regarding their warehouse to upper management. It's possible that that's all they had in stock at the time the order was placed, so instead of delaying it, they shipped what they had. Anyways, I'd want D*'s upper management to know that their warehouse is shipping out physically damaged units. I'm trying to separate D* from their warehouse cause it's the warehouse's fault not necessarily D* itself.

14. rborden

rborden Mentor

Jul 4, 2007

grease and scratches are not physical damage, it is purely cosmetic. the longer the lease program goes the more common it will be for "cosmetic" damages on replacement equipment or even new installs

15. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Your'e right the customer dosen't own the receiver so the cosmetic condition reflects on the corporation not the homeowner. I am thrilled that my Leased Mercedes has a scratch down the side of it from the previous lease holder.

16. rborden

rborden Mentor

Jul 4, 2007
    not saying that it is something to be happy about, but i'm sure that if the prev. lease holder did scratch the paint job the dealership would give you a free paint job before leasing the car to you

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Anyone seen the condition of the cable boxes you can "just stop in and pick up" when you need one? That's what comes of recycling equipment through the client base. Not making excuses at all, but I believe we'll see more of this as time goes on.

18. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005
    I meant physical vs. software. Shoulda been more clear. :grin:

19. ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    But thats what spare parts are for, the same way they can replace a hard drive they should be able to replace the plastic cover and buttons on the front of the receiver if its damaged. I dont mind an overhauled unit as long as it looks respectable.

20. rabit ears

rabit ears Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I had a similar complaint and was sent a very nice HR20-700 as a replacement.

On the order it said "Do not fulfill from JABIL, customer says they only send crap.":lol:

I got what I wanted and the CSR quoted me word for word. The JABIL operation in Memphis is a disaster, not just for D*, but for everyone who uses their services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.