1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Activation and Picture Break Up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by shendley, Mar 19, 2013.

1. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I just activated a new receiver (HR 24 500) and am seeing some occasional picture break up and pixellation on a number of different channels. The Directv person who was helping me activate it said it was probably just a function of the receiver doing a lot of things in the background right now like downloading guide data. Was he right about that? Can that cause problems with the picture? I'm not seeing it on any other tvs.

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have seen a newly activated DVR be very S-L-O-W to change channels and bring up the guide, and that does clear up in time. However, I have never seen a new DVR have video disruption. I suppose it might be possible, but I think a flaky hard drive is more likely. since you're not seeing it on other receivers it is not likely to be dish alignment. It could also be a bad coaxial connection. If it doesn't clear up in 24 hours I'd think about calling back and getting a service call.

3. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Thanks. I didn't think what I was told sounded right.

4. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Looks like it was probably the coax connection. I thought I had them connected about as well as they could. But the problem appears to have vanished now that I redid the connections. Cool. I wasn't looking forward to having get yet another DVR.