Receiver box overheating

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tyskol, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Oct 6, 2020 #1 of 25
    tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Hi folks,
    I have a HR24/100 receiver. Last night the screen went white, when I tried to rest, I gat a message that the receiver was over heated (above 60 C). After about 20 minutes, the message said the temp was down to 59 C. No other functions would work. I finally turned it off, but the “record” button continued to flash. This morning same overheating message, still reports 59C. Any ideas?

2. Oct 6, 2020 #2 of 25
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Is there proper ventilation around your HR24-100? Is the cooling fan working?

3. Oct 6, 2020 #3 of 25
    HoosierBoy

HoosierBoy Legend

May 25, 2007

The exact same thing happened to me in March. My problem was the fan stopped working. I tried to use an external cooling fan but it did not lower the temp enough to stop the overheating message. Tthe HR24 receivers were great performers but are getting old. On top of that, they are no longer manufactured. In my case, DTV did send me a replacement HR24 but it was a bit beat up.

4. Oct 6, 2020 #4 of 25
    tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I believe there is proper ventilation, but I noticed a lot of dust in the vent openings. I vacuumed the receiver, unplugged and replugged the receiver and it went to reset mode. It appears to be working as before. Hope it continues and I guess I’ll vac more frequently. Many thanks.

5. Oct 6, 2020 #5 of 25
    SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    If the fan died, just replace it yourself. Not worth dealing with DirecTV and/or losing all your recordings and settings, etc. just to save $5 to $10 for a fan and 2 minutes of work.

6. Oct 6, 2020 #6 of 25
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Since it is staying hot, I would unplug the AC power to it.
    Call them for a replacement receiver.

7. Oct 6, 2020 #7 of 25
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That was my first thought. He should be able to take a tissue, place it over the vents and see if it gets sucked inward. If it does the fan's okay. Then you replace the box. If the fan's shot that's an easy fix. All these years, all the HRs I've had and not one fan failure. In fact, the only time I've ever seen the overheating warning was when I pulled the plug on a fan and ran the HR, just to see what would happen.

Rich

8. Oct 6, 2020 #8 of 25
    tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I tried the tissue test and did not notice any movement. After my first reply, the receiver ran for about four hours, then the overheating message returned. So where is the fan and where do I get a replacement?
    Ty

9. Oct 6, 2020 #9 of 25
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Directv DVR HR24 100 FAN DTV HR-24-100 DIRECTV | eBay

10. Doylize

Doylize New Member

Jun 2, 2019
    I had that same message pop up and then disappear a week ago Saturday(screen didnt go white, just had a message at the bottom of screen) on all 4 receivers at the same time, twice. The only time I use more than 1 receiver is during football Saturdays. I dont use 3 of the receivers Jan-Aug. I cleaned all 4 receivers off last week and also did a reset during the week and it didnt happen this past Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    There have been several threads on the fan issue over the years with the HR24-100 model- I have a bunch of them. It just takes a quick search to find the results and how to get it fixed without going through DirecTV, and losing your recordings.

Before ordering a replacement, note that the HR24-100’s had two different types of fans depending on the production date. There were square fans in some, and fans with two beveled edges on other 24-100’s (the eBay listing a couple of posts above). I would suggest removing the cover first (the hardest part in the process) and checking before ordering. Replacing the fan is the easiest part of the process once you figure out which fan it is.

In the meantime if your DVR is overheating, just take the top cover off to free air while your replacement fan is on order, as it will not overheat with the cover off to the ambient temperature of the room it is in. Just remember there are live parts inside so don’t allow people to easily stick their fingers on the power supply board, and don’t spill any drinks on it!

The beveled fans have been the most problematic, but I have had square ones fail too, at a much lower rate. I have 5 of each as a backup for future failures for all of mine currently in service. The HR24-100’s are 10 years old now.

If anyone gives you crap about violating the TOS by doing this procedure, ignore it knowing that DirecTV hasn’t been recovering the HR24-100’s for years now because they were problematic with the fans. Good luck!

Rich and P Smith like this.
  12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps old fan is blocked by dust, then all what you need is cleaning it

13. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Thanks to all for these suggestions. I will try to remove the cover as suggested. I hope it is not too difficult to do. Perhaps a good vacuum will get things going. Many thanks.
    Ty

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Just curious. If an HR24 (or any other HR2x) dies are they still replacing them? I have a HR54 and two HR2x receivers and my fear is that if one of them goes, I'll have to get a C61K to replace it. I want to keep those tuners alive for extra recording slots (and my son likes to keep his own HR24 and maintain his own list).

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you need help with that, ask. Once you've done it it's easy, the first time isn't.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, they replace the 24s with 24s. You will get a refurb with an old HDD in it. You might want to stick a new HDD on it.

Rich

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    Thanks. We had one replaced a few years ago when we got our HR54, but not since.

Rich likes this.
  18. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I use 6 butter knives all at once and wedge through the 4 side clips and the two bottom latches to get the cover off. Someone else may have a better suggestion.

19. tyskol

tyskol New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Hi Folks,
    Before I began to dismantle the HR24, it died. Tried plugging and unplugging, reset (several times) but nothing. So I called for a replacement. After an hour I finally got confirmation. Several hours later I tried the reset one more time. (Magical thinking), but it reset and started up. Seemed to work OK. The “internal temperature” reading seems to stay at 140F, which is 60C which is where this whole thing started. What would be a good operating temp? And if this continues to work, ought I send back the replacement? I,m frazzled at this point.
    Ty

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My 24 is 113° internal.
    Just from memory I believe the cut off point is 140° and it will shut down again soon.