1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver dilemma, not just lease vs buy.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tallgntlmn, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    So I just talked with D* and still have the offer for the free HR2x. I could not pull the trigger because she said that if i move and have no LoS, I have to pay the ETF. I will be moving in 3-4 months. That would be $400 ETF if I am unfortunate enough to lose LoS.

So I got to thinking. Fix my D-TiVo for $100 (no DVR for how ever long that takes), HR10-250 on eBay (which I have no idea if both tuners will work) for $40-100 and no commitment, HR21 Pro for $150-250 with no commitment or the regular HR2x with commitment. Decisions, decisions. The first is compelling because it would be between $40-100 to buy. The second is compelling because I can resell for $150-250 if I lose LoS. My current packages can stay, so the HD fee will be the only addition.

Someone convince me that the HR2x lease is a deal. Yes, I know I would get the install and dish free with it and have to pay for install (and maybe dish) with the 21Pro. The ETF scares me. I have read so many conflicting threads about getting it waived for no LoS after a move. The HR10-250 would be nothing unless I wanted the Slimline. I don't need it to get what I want which is both tuners working.

I am getting sick of having to remember to make sure tuner 2 is in focus and not on a local. I'm ready to do something but ended up just as confused as before. I am leaning toward the HR21P or the old HR10-250 I think.

I hate to have to add this statement, but some people... I am not trying to "get over" on D*. I love their service. I will try to find a place with LoS. Lack of LoS is the only reason I'd try to get out of the agreement. I've been with them since mid '01 and have no desire to have cable TV.

2. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Wrong.

3. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    Keep in mind also that the HR10 isn't a MPEG4 compatible receiver. You aren't going to get HD with it when the MPEG2 stations disappear in a matter of months (probably).

4. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I tend to agree. But with so many conflicting threads, it's hard to find out. If I had no ETF in the case I described, then it is a no brainer.
    I had forgotten about that. Guess my mind was blinded by DLB and TiVo software for that brief moment. :)

5. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    I think you can find a bunch of people on here that can confirm this. I don't remember a thread when someone had to pay the early term fee when they moved to a place with no LOS.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    the hr21 pro owned for 250 sounds interesting imo, but truthfully you'd probably be better off taking the deal from D*.
    just an opinion.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Hard to add more that what others have already.
    Pausing [or rewinding] live TV can be priceless, if you happen to live with someone that has a habit of walking in to the room and start talking during a show that you might actually interested in.
    Setting the DVR up so "it" watches your programs, frees up your time. Watching a recording and FF through the commercials can save 25% of your time to do something else.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you move, and the DirecTV installer isn't able to get LOS at the new location, they will release you from your obligation. That is the only common reason why that would be done.

9. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I can't watch without a DVR. I had to do that while waiting on the PS for my D-TiVo. I don't know how people can do it, especially on certain Fox shows that are famous for the phrase "after the break."

I think I am leaning toward the lease. I finally got through the thread from November where the guy had to fight to get the ETF waived. I just don't want to get stuck with a $400 bill if the perfect place for me does not have a SW view. I see it can be waived but may take some effort.

The other (rather frivolous) part of this is the Atlanta installers are carrying around HR20's and I want a black receiver. I do not want silver. I know that's silly but all of my components are black. Well, exception is the D-TiVo and it sticks out like a sore thumb. D* won't drop ship. If I got a HR20, I'd have to find a way to replace it. LOL! Maybe order another receiver and then deactivate one and return it?

10. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    the perfect place will always have a SW view. i would take a compass with you when you look.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The big difference I see from the posts are either a: before the policy change or b: people say it was no LoS but it really was custom work for installation like a sled mount they didn't want to do.

If your work order is closed due to no line of sight you are not held to your agreement. If it's closed for anything else then you are.

12. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I always ask for a SW view. If not for the satellite, then for the sun in the afternoon. In fact my last place had a north view. I told them I couldn't rent it unless I could have satellite. They let me put my dish in the bushes on the other side. And once I'm serious about a place, the compass comes with me to check it out. The only reason it might be an issue this time is I really want to rent a house or townhome and not an apartment. I have less control in that case. I would likely not rent from someone who is satellite unfriendly.
    Thanks guys. Like I said, I am a fan of D* and going cable for me is not the desired option. It would definitely be a LoS issue and not some other "excuse". I have no desire to try to get out just for the hell of of it.

I guess that pretty much solves it. I'll be finding out when this thing can happen. Hopefully quick but not so quick that I can't rig up the pole mount in advance.

13. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I've gone and done it. Install a week from Tuesday. Thanks for all the input guys. I do appreciate it.

I'm sure I'll be back looking for answers when I start trying to adapt to the world of the HR2x versus the old D-TiVo. I've already downloaded the survival guide somewhere.