1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Help???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tuskaloosa25, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Oct 8, 2010 #1 of 14
    tuskaloosa25

tuskaloosa25 Mentor

Aug 8, 2008
    2 months ago, a H24-700 HD rec. was installed. Last night I go to turn the rec. on with the remote, nothing...Go to the rec, push the button, nothing, tried a working power cable from the rec. next to it, in a working outlet, still nothing....Anyone have any ideas?? Can these die in 2 months?

2. Oct 8, 2010 #2 of 14
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Yup, they can, and in fact if they are going to die, it's the most likely to happen within the first 90 days. It's called the bathtub curve.

First I'd try a hard, red button reset. See if that restores your receiver. After that, your best bet is to remove the receiver from its current location. Take the power cord with it. Try to turn it on in another part of the house. If it still doesn't come back on, try a hard reset there. If it still reminds you of a stone, it is dead. Call DirecTV (Make sure it's when you are at home and with the receiver. They will most likely make you jump through some of these same hoops but that's the process.). After the CSR is sure it is dead, DirecTV will send you a new one, and since it is within 90 days, my bet is that the exchange will be free.

3. Oct 8, 2010 #3 of 14
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wonder if they have fuses in them. Some receivers do. Why they put them inside the box instead of using the plug-in fuse holders that you can access from outside the box is beyond me. I've had a lot of "thoroughly refurbished" HRs that had the same problems and they were on 20-700s that do have a fuse in them.

Rich

4. Oct 8, 2010 #4 of 14
    tuskaloosa25

tuskaloosa25 Mentor

Aug 8, 2008
    If they do have a fuse, wonder if you could pop-off the case and get a replacement at The Shack?? Hate not having it for the entire weekend

5. Oct 8, 2010 #5 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sure you "can". Easy to do and you should see the fuse (if it has one) near the power cord port when you look at the inside of the box. Worth a shot. They aren't special fuses, RS will have them. Or any good electronics supply house.

Rich

6. Oct 8, 2010 #6 of 14
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Not sure about your model, but many receivers have fuses soldered in since they are not designed to be field serviceable by the customer.

7. Oct 8, 2010 #7 of 14
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 20-700s have fuses in clips. I didn't notice a fuse in my owned 24-200 when I popped the hood the other day. Fuses should be easily removable, don't doubt you, but I've never seen a fuse soldered in place.

Rich

8. Oct 8, 2010 #8 of 14
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You're unlikely to find a replaceable fuse in the receiver. From the pictures in the First Look documents for the H24's it seems the fuses are soldered in place.

Not to mention you're not really supposed to be servicing your receivers. I’m going to piss some people off but I have to say that opening and messing around inside the receiver is probably against the Lease Addendum.

If you plugged it into a known good outlet using a known good power cord then I’m pretty sure it’s “Dead Jim”. :D

You can try swapping it to another location or doing a RBR, but since it didn’t work with a good source of power it’s unlikely to work in another location in your house. It’s all the same power. :shrug:

It would appear from the given info that you’ll be getting a replacement receiver...Sorry.

Mike

9. Oct 8, 2010 #9 of 14
    tuskaloosa25

tuskaloosa25 Mentor

Aug 8, 2008
    Or there is a ghost in my house, I went home for lunch and it suddenly turned on for no reason, did not touch remote and I was sitting on the couch...The other 2 rec. were on, the one that has been dead for over 24 hours suddenly came back to life......Very strange?????

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Weird because a 20-700 was what I had open and went and double checked before I posted that. It has a fuse with the little caps fused to each end that had a lead on it. I have never been able to get them apart without a soldering iron without making a mess of things. Even though they are both 20-700s, there are two models of them, made in different places.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh, I've actually replaced one. And a couple inside Sony stuff. Next time I'm inside one, I'll have to check. Don't remember if the one with the blown fuse was made in Mexico (the oldest HRs) or in China. That might be the difference.

But, in all my years working with electrical gear I've never seen a fuse soldered to the unit itself. Seems like a strange thing to do. Not unsafe, just strange. Wonder what the NEC says about that practice. I'd look it up, but I hate that damn thing. More contradictory than baseball rule books or that eternally best seller.

Rich

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It used to be that way for me but I find that more times than not these days that the fuse is soldered in place. You can see them in some of the pictures in the First Look documents.

Mike

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All the fuses I've seen in 20-700s are in open fuse holders with the fuse held in place with metal clips. Not something I usually even notice. Now, I gotta tear one apart and see if I think I saw what I saw or I actually saw what I saw. I've never seen a fuse with a soldered joint on it. Technology has passed me by, I guess.

I gotta look. Tomorrow.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did you see the fuses in fuse holders or were they soldered directly without a fuse holder?

Rich