1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver Limits for SWM 8 way splitter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by tomwrightjm, Jul 15, 2010.

1. tomwrightjm

tomwrightjm New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Just did an upgrade to SWM, Whole Home DVR and swapped out 3 tivos for 3 HR-24's via DTV. (total cost of about $150 by the way for everything).

Having an issue though with the install.

I have 5 DVR's on my whole home system and one of them is always not getting signal.
    HR21
    HR22
    HR24
    HR24
    HR24

The installer swapped out my old 16 out zinwell multiswitch for a new SWM16 and then has one SWM output going to the 8 way splitter (model Msplit80-03) pictured in this lay out:

72.9.159.118/attachment.php?attachmentid=22820&d=1278904407

I have 7 ports on the 8 way splitter filled, the 5 dual tuner DVR's all via single wire, one coax going to the deca adapter connected to my router, one going to the gray power inserter.

Am I reaching a limit of a single 8 way splitter where you can't power that many tuners with it? Which ever tuner is pulled into the far right port is the one with no signal.

The installer said up front he had never installed a whole home SWM on a house with more than 4 DVR's and I am wondering if he should have used 2 8 way splitters or a different configuration on the 16SWM.

I think the company will be sending the installer back and I want to help him as best I can.

Thanks in advance for any tips, help and advice!

2. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    That's your problem. The SWM16 has two outputs (each will only handle 8 tuners.) You currently have ten tuners on one side (each DVR is 2 tuners.) It's an easy fix, just move one of the DVR coax lines from the splitter to the second SWM port on the SWM16.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    agreed.

4. tomwrightjm

tomwrightjm New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    That is what I have done, if only we weren't having a major thunderstorm that is taking out the reception to a few of the satellites!

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    What he said.